Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Such masks are humorous with essentially zero utility for the healthy in the case of an airborne and surface friendly pathogen like nCov. Now if you are ill, then they do have great utility, in minimizing your ability to distribute the virus when coughing/sneezing/talking and breathing.

Someone is making bank from this!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, villakram said:

Such masks are humorous with essentially zero utility for the healthy in the case of an airborne and surface friendly pathogen like nCov. Now if you are ill, then they do have great utility, in minimizing your ability to distribute the virus when coughing/sneezing/talking and breathing.

Someone is making bank from this!

They are of some limited utility. It's true that hand washing and self-isolation are much more effective. 

Beeb:

Coronavirus: Five Brits in French ski chalet catch virus

Five Britons have tested positive for coronavirus in France, local health officials have confirmed.

Four adults and a child were diagnosed with the virus in eastern France, including a British national who recently returned from Singapore.

...more

On 02/02/2020 at 23:26, sne said:

Sweden is for whatever reason going about this completely different to every other country who has evacuated citizens from China.

Where other countries are isolating the evacuees and keeping them monitored Sweden are sending them straight home with no restrictions or supervision.

It's frankly a bit odd and worrying  that there now will be 11 cities in Sweden with people who may be infected. 

And to add to it Sweden has no restrictions yet on air travel to and fro China where as flight has been suspended and borders closed in many other countries.

Apparently Sweden does not see this as something serious or alarming. Hopefully they are right.

794B3979-D55D-4FEF-96EA-2404C748CEF7.jpeg

• Haha 1

This cooking post has a ton of stuff in the second half of it that probably isn't of much interest, but the first half is a description from a native speaker of what it's like living in a city on lockdown. I'd encourage you to read it, but some of the key points:

• The only things open are convenience stores, grocery stores and pharmacies
  • There are checkpoints and roadblocks on every road out of the city
  • The doorman in the apartment building checks people for symptoms when they enter, including residents
  • Supermarkets get one shipment of food per day and most stuff sells out within 30 minutes
  • Like 1

Its definitely scaremongering.

They do this every bloody year. The 2% fatality rate is actually quite tame compared to other seasonal viruses we have had throughout the years, that is especially fatal to the elderly, or those whose immune system has been depleted.

Yes, it is quite contagious, but so is every droplet transmitted virus. Swine flu, Avian flu, and now Coronavirus, they all have sexier names to the media than Influenza A H2N1 or whatever. It is the same every year.

Just take precautions. Avoid contact. Wash your hands. If you show symptoms of high temp, fatigue, dry cough, muscle aches, sneezing, headaches, or joint aches, see a doctor, but don't panic. Unless you are quite elderly, or have a condition that affects your body's immunity quite severely, you should be fine. Eventually.

1 minute ago, AJ said:

Its definitely scaremongering.

They do this every bloody year. The 2% fatality rate is actually quite tame compared to other seasonal viruses we have had throughout the years, that is especially fatal to the elderly, or those whose immune system has been depleted.

Yes, it is quite contagious, but so is every droplet transmitted virus. Swine flu, Avian flu, and now Coronavirus, they all have sexier names to the media than Influenza A H2N1 or whatever. It is the same every year.

Just take precautions. Avoid contact. Wash your hands. If you show symptoms of high temp, fatigue, dry cough, muscle aches, sneezing, headaches, or joint aches, see a doctor, but don't panic. Unless you are quite elderly, or have a condition that affects your body's immunity quite severely, you should be fine. Eventually.

I thought 2% was quite high - Seasonal flu is I believe below well below 1%  ....0.15% I believe 

It probably isn't 2% - but I would bet its a fair bit higher than seasonal flu. 

• Thanks 1

best conspiracy / scaremongering suggestion ive seen was that its got protesters off the streets in hong kong

but as for end of the world stuff in Europe, don't travel, my missus had a wobble before going to the airport last week for example, that's all scaremongering 

it'll get to a generally healthier society with a higher level of medical care and slowly start to disappear 

what I would also add is that its a stick to beat china with which the western media will take every opportunity to do

• Like 1

Just now, hippo said:

I thought 2% was quite high - Seasonal flu is I believe below well below 1%  ....0.15% I believe 

It probably isn't 2% - but I would bet its a fair bit higher than seasonal flu. 

Not really. Some years are worse than others.

Influenza last year  in my country alone was around the 2% mark. In the media, it was just simply referred to as " the flu". The statistics are also quite dependent on the countries that are affected. Less developed countries are more seriously affected, and that would include rural China.

If people are vigilant with their influenza vaccinations, that could also help.

Just now, AJ said:

Not really. Some years are worse than others.

Influenza last year  in my country alone was around the 2% mark. In the media, it was just simply referred to as " the flu". The statistics are also quite dependent on the countries that are affected. Less developed countries are more seriously affected, and that would include rural China.

If people are vigilant with their influenza vaccinations, that could also help.

I was talking about uk - where I believe Flu has a mortality rate of around 0.15% - we also know that seasonal flu will be over by March/April 

Corona virus however isn't a new strain of Flu , like swine flu was. We don't know how it survives / transmits/ kills 

I was just reading this article which suggests that with new infections, mortality rates tend to skew high in the early days, as it's typically only the more severe cases that are confirmed, the milder cases are far less likely to be diagnosed. Makes sense really, so it seems the mortality rate may drop significantly.

So far this flu season, about 0.05% of people who caught the flu have died from the virus in the U.S., according to CDC data. 

The death rate for 2019-nCoV is still unclear, but it appears to be higher than that of the flu. Throughout the outbreak, the death rate for 2019-nCoV has been about 2%. Still, officials note that in the beginning of an outbreak, the initial cases that are identified "skew to the severe," which may make the mortality rate seem higher than it is, Alex Azar, U.S. secretary of the Health and Human Services, said during a news briefing on Jan. 28. The mortality rate may drop as more mild cases are identified, Azar said. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

I was talking about uk - where I believe Flu has a mortality rate of around 0.15% - we also know that seasonal flu will be over by March/April 

Corona virus however isn't a new strain of Flu , like swine flu was. We don't know how it survives / transmits/ kills 

You are right.

The UK has one of, if not the best medical system in the world, but I can only speak for my country, and it was quite nasty last year. Our flu season extended to October last year, and I can state that from first hand.

And yes, you are right about Coronavirus not being a strain of flu. From the information I have, it is similar to MERS, ( Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome), but similar to the flu, it is apparently spread by droplet.

I guess the wider concern is what happens if it mutates into something worse but it's a bunch of bullshit.

A load of people in backwater countries with little to no access to decent medical assistance will die, the world will panic, a pharmaceutical company will come to the rescue and someone will get super rich.

Rinse and repeat.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

what I would also add is that its a stick to beat china with which the western media will take every opportunity to do

This. I noticed on FB this morning "50 amazing things about China that don't seem real - but are!" It leads off with "eating dogs that have been tortured to death", and goes on with loads of supersititions/yukky food preferences/authoritarian state stuff, calculated to trigger westerners' predjudice and selfrighteousness. No coincidence. 

• Like 1

Â