Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I’d assume a lot of those unvaccinated currently are not keen and will therefore leave.

Obviously the government will wait until May or June before thinking about the crisis of staff shortages.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47g6gdqz50x4q64qkupv

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47khpb0wc2w50kixguua

Edited by trekka
  • Like 1

Our cases have increased back up to 40,000 again. 

Today is the first time in a while that that days numbers are higher than the corresponding day the week before. 

Looks like the last week or so may have been a blip rather than a sustained fall 😦

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Our cases have increased back up to 40,000 again. 

Today is the first time in a while that that days numbers are higher than the corresponding day the week before. 

Looks like the last week or so may have been a blip rather than a sustained fall 😦

I assume we got a dip due to the 1 week (in most places) half term. 

8 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Needs no comment.

Curious what's going on in Lithuania and Latvia? Looks to be about 55 to 60% vaccinated but death figures way above the norm for those percentages. 

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Feel like it's going under the radar that we are slipping down that list of % of people fully vaccinated

Couple of anecdotal things from my family back home (Solihull) - one being a family butchers not vaccinated at all, proud of it.  My Mum went in with mask on et al and somehow got talking about it - linked to Dr David Bull as all things knowledge :D.  Secondly, one of my sisters' friends is a nurse who isn't vaccinated.  Says she is refusing as she's trying for a baby.  Has made my sister (diabetic, so vulnerable) think twice about getting a booster as she'll be wanting to try for a baby soon.

In other news, my better half's mum (has myeloma) has just tested positive.  She's had the booster jab a couple of weeks back so hopefully OK but this is the scary part of covid that we - as a family - didn't want to face.

2 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

My guess with some of the Baltic states is blind faith in religion and right wing politics.

Relatively decent vaccinated levels but high deaths doesn't seem to point to that.

Maybe they're particularly short staffed at hospitals or don't have the correct equipment or whatever.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

My guess with some of the Baltic states is blind faith in religion and right wing politics.

The weirdness is that they're middling in terms of uptake, but the deaths are disproportionately high. 

And I wouldn't say the Baltics are more loony than the likes of here, or Italy.

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Feel like it's going under the radar that we are slipping down that list of % of people fully vaccinated

It's quite funny really, the government still make reference to our amazing vaccine rollout, but in reality apart from genuinely being among the first in the opening months it's actually been really fairly poor since then. It's notable that France and Germany - two countries previously known for vaccine hesitancy and skepticism - have basically the same proportion vaccinated as the UK, and in France's case actually slightly higher. Our rollout of booster jabs seems to be basically pretty uncoordinated and as I understand it, they're having problems finding people to come forward for them. 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

What's going on with the Baltic states? 

Deaths don't scale perfectly to populations, so countries with small populations always end up showing some of the highest per-capita death rates. I don't know if it's still true, but for a long period San Marino had the highest per capita covid death rate. 

51 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Says she is refusing as she's trying for a baby. 

This seems to be a huge issue.

My (former) other half, who is pregnant, was very very reluctant to get the vaccine. Her midwife even told her not to get it because it wasn't tested enough on pregnant women. The doctor she saw afterwards was absolutely furious that the midwife had done that.

But it does genuinely seem to be the case that people believe it can harm pregnant women or affect your fertility.

As far as I can tell, and I've researched it, there is absolutely no evidence this is the case, and the only possible support for this theory is that because it's a brand new vaccine, there's no long term studies on fertility.

The official medical advice is you should get the vaccine regardless of pregnancy or future pregnancies

Â