Generic Virus Thread

villakram

7 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

I think most people's fears come from the Thalidomide scandal in the 50s and 60s

Not a vaccine, I also think that this isn't the birthplace of this fear otherwise, the many vaccines developed since then would have the same fear, yet they don't and never did.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

I think most people's fears come from the Thalidomide scandal in the 50s and 60s

I know a few people who don't want the vaccine, and they often quote scandals that the companies who make vaccines were tangled up in. Big pharma is not nice people in lab coats trying to save the world, it's a commercial business looking to sell as many drugs as possible. 

I don't necessarily agree with this reasoning, but I appreciate there is a million reasons why you wouldn't want this vaccine other than being an "antivaxxer" 

https://mobile-reuters-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSTRE5813XB20090902?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#amp_tf=From %1%24s&aoh=16358815957503&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reuters.com%2Farticle%2Fus-pfizer-settlement-idUSTRE5813XB20090902

The world's biggest drugmaker was slapped with the huge fines by the U.S. government after being deemed a repeat offender in pitching drugs to patients and doctors for unapproved uses.

Pfizer pleaded guilty in 2004 to an earlier criminal charge of improper sales tactics and its practices have been under U.S. supervision since then.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I know a few people who don't want the vaccine, and they often quote scandals that the companies who make vaccines were tangled up in. Big pharma is not nice people in lab coats trying to save the world, it's a commercial business looking to sell as many drugs as possible. 

This is irrational. It's cutting your nose off to spite your face

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

This is irrational. It's cutting your nose off to spite your face

I'd say less irrational, more very far fetched. 

It's a bit like saying your local garage is making things up to make you pay more for your car repair.

We all know those stories, but there is more control over pharma. 

At the same time, pharma lobbies more and there is much more money at stake.

4 hours ago, Genie said:

@Dante_Lockhart could at least thank us all for having the vaccine so his life can go back close to normal 😉 

If everyone took the attitude of refusing for a bizarre unsubstantiated reason we’d all still be locked in our houses.

You're welcome :thumb: 

Don’t worry. When you grow a 3rd arm next year I’ll be sure to shake one of your hands. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I'd say less irrational, more very far fetched. 

It's a bit like saying your local garage is making things up to make you pay more for your car repair.

We all know those stories, but there is more control over pharma. 

At the same time, pharma lobbies more and there is much more money at stake.

Possibly, but you still get your car repaired, otherwise you have a broken car

43 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

No,it hasent been tested on humans for long enough

Yes, it has. Even if you consider the rollout to be a Phase III test, it has had longer testing on humans that most vaccines ever produced. The idea that it hasn't been tested on humans for long enough is quite frankly preposterous at this stage

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Mozzavfc said:

I'd say the swine flu vaccine from 2009 is much more relevant.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2021/1027/1256212-swine-flu-vaccine/

"The mother of a teenage girl who claimed she developed the sleep disorder narcolepsy after receiving the swine flu vaccine has told the High Court her daughter was robbed of her childhood and teenage years.

The case, which was settled for €1m today, is the latest in a number of settlements, without admission of liability, of cases against the Minister for Health and the HSE.

It follows a landmark case last year, which paved the way for settlements in an estimated 80 cases related to the Pandemrix vaccine..."

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

I very much doubt more than 0.01% of the UK population have any knowledge of that

Sure, but those in the contrarian community who advocated a conservative vaccine stance did. Of course, they are just all conspiracy theorists and can be ignored.

4 minutes ago, villakram said:

Sure, but those in the contrarian community who advocated a conservative vaccine stance did. Of course, they are just all conspiracy theorists and can be ignored.

What did they have knowledge of? Did they have knowledge that the CDC found no link whatsoever between the 2009 Swine Flu vaccines and narcolepsy in the US?

In 2014, CDC published a study to assess the occurrence of narcolepsy following vaccination with 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccine or 2010-2011 seasonal influenza vaccine, both of which contained the 2009 H1N1 virus strain (more about types of influenza viruses). The analysis included more than 650,000 people who received the 2009 pandemic flu vaccine and over 870,000 people who received the 2010-2011 seasonal flu vaccine. The study found that vaccination with influenza vaccines containing the 2009 H1N1 virus strain used in the United States was not associated with an increased risk for narcolepsy.

Did they read the 2017 review of those vaccines and the 2009 Swine Flu pandemic that concluded

Conclusions

Adjuvanted and unadjuvanted monovalent influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 vaccines were both effective in preventing LCI. Overall, the vaccines were also effective against influenza-related hospitalization. For both outcomes adjuvanted vaccines were more effective in children than in adults.

The study found that the vaccine protected against between 66–80% of flu cases and around 61% of hospitalizations.

2 hours ago, bickster said:

What did they have knowledge of? Did they have knowledge that the CDC found no link whatsoever between the 2009 Swine Flu vaccines and narcolepsy in the US?

Did they read the 2017 review of those vaccines and the 2009 Swine Flu pandemic that concluded

The study found that the vaccine protected against between 66–80% of flu cases and around 61% of hospitalizations.

In the US is the important part.

14 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

I wonder if the antivaxers will refuse that too? Fingers crossed.

Look.  I think it's basically time to:

Round them up

Put them in a field 

And bomb the bastards 

tenor.gif

Edited by sidcow

20 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Game changer if this new Covid pill gets the go ahead. Life back to normal surely?

Back to normal now surely? Brum was rammed yesterday. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Back to normal now surely? Brum was rammed yesterday. 

When I got the train into the office on Tuesday it was the first time I've had to park in the overflow car park at the station. 

The trains and Town have been noticeably busier each week.  The office was also busier than it has been. 

I've a feeling after Christmas we'll see a real acceleration of normality returning.   Shops are going to have a good Christmas I think. 

• Like 1

Â