Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

This seems to be a huge issue.

My (former) other half, who is pregnant, was very very reluctant to get the vaccine. Her midwife even told her not to get it because it wasn't tested enough on pregnant women. The doctor she saw afterwards was absolutely furious that the midwife had done that.

But it does genuinely seem to be the case that people believe it can harm pregnant women or affect your fertility.

As far as I can tell, and I've researched it, there is absolutely no evidence this is the case, and the only possible support for this theory is that because it's a brand new vaccine, there's no long term studies on fertility.

The official medical advice is you should get the vaccine regardless of pregnancy or future pregnancies

That is absolutely outrageous - particularly given this recent news story:

"The family of a woman who died with Covid before getting the chance to hold her newborn daughter have urged pregnant women to get vaccinated.
The brother of 37-year-old Saiqa Parveen, from Birmingham, said she had put off getting the jab until after her child was born.
Qayoum Mughal said the family had "lost everything".
"If she had the vaccine she might have had a chance of surviving," he said.
Mrs Parveen was taken to hospital with breathing difficulties in September and after being treated with oxygen, was put on a ventilator.
She was eight months pregnant when doctors delivered her child by emergency caesarean section. She died on 1 November."

(Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-59197464)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

That is absolutely outrageous - particularly given this recent news story:

"The family of a woman who died with Covid before getting the chance to hold her newborn daughter have urged pregnant women to get vaccinated.
The brother of 37-year-old Saiqa Parveen, from Birmingham, said she had put off getting the jab until after her child was born.
Qayoum Mughal said the family had "lost everything".
"If she had the vaccine she might have had a chance of surviving," he said.
Mrs Parveen was taken to hospital with breathing difficulties in September and after being treated with oxygen, was put on a ventilator.
She was eight months pregnant when doctors delivered her child by emergency caesarean section. She died on 1 November."

(Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-59197464)

Yep, it really pissed me off.

Luckily she saw sense and got the vaccine eventually.

I can completely understand why she was reluctant though. There's lots of conflicting information, and if your midwife is giving you doubts then what are you meant to think

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I know for sure that it doesn't stop you getting pregnant.  Conceived days after the second jab in fact.

That's an very indelicate way of describing the art of lovemaking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I'd hope that midwife was reported to the NMC to be honest, that isn't acceptable at all.

There is no data demonstrating the medium or long term safety of these vaccines. In particular, w.r.t. fetal and later child development.

The timeline is important here, as the vaccine trials themselves were crystal clear on not including pregnant women. Our knowledge of the safety profile of these vaccines for this population has come from direct in the wild testing. No obvious issue has emerged, but given the mess of data reporting, one must wait longer for a deeper data analysis, i.e., see the clotting issues.

Covid facism yet again. Sometimes things are complicated.

1 minute ago, villakram said:

There is no data demonstrating the medium or long term safety of these vaccines. In particular, w.r.t. fetal and later child development.

The timeline is important here, as the vaccine trials themselves were crystal clear on not including pregnant women. Our knowledge of the safety profile of these vaccines for this population has come from direct in the wild testing. No obvious issue has emerged, but given the mess of data reporting, one must wait longer for a deeper data analysis, i.e., see the clotting issues.

Covid facism yet again. Sometimes things are complicated.

Yes, exactly.  So don't comment on it - and certainly don't encourage someone not to get vaccinated.  The midwife is in such a huge position of trust in that scenario.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Yes, exactly.  So don't comment on it - and certainly don't encourage someone not to get vaccinated.  The midwife is in such a huge position of trust in that scenario.

Not someone. A pregnant someone. Imagine a person responsible for helping new life into the world, actually prioritizing that life.

9 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Curious what's going on in Lithuania and Latvia? Looks to be about 55 to 60% vaccinated but death figures way above the norm for those percentages. 

Worth noting that there are some neighbouring countries where the death reporting is nowhere near representative of the number of deaths, notably Russia and Belarus.

In the Balkans too there has been undercounts in the likes of Serbia.

2 minutes ago, villakram said:

Not someone. A pregnant someone. Imagine a person responsible for helping new life into the world, actually prioritizing that life.

What if it cost the mother her life, like in the linked story and many others?

Just now, villakram said:

No.  You're giving someone a completely personal decision (as you say, we possibly don't have sufficient data) disguised as medical advice.  You're not prioritising the life of a new baby - it could absolutely equally be argued that this is done by saying the pregnant woman should have the vaccine - you're casting your viewpoint as fact.

Not to mention the tragic story (which is factual) that I've already posted r.e: a pregnant woman not having the vaccine, and dying so she can't see her child in any case.

2 hours ago, villakram said:

Err,, no. They are actually putting that life in danger.  There is a reasonably high chance of mother and baby dying of they contract Covid unvaccinated.  Much much higher than any other known danger. 

16 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Err,, no. They are actually putting that life in danger.  There is a reasonably high chance of mother and baby dying of they contract Covid unvaccinated.  Much much higher than any other known danger. 

Please show the data to back that statement up.

We have almost no idea how these medicines interact with human biology that is changing so rapidly as that in a child, e.g., it will take us 10-25 years to determine if there was some systematic IQ (for example) or other effect. We have no idea (the same applies with covid of course). We do know that the covid risk to children is tiny, far less risky than the flu for example. This is not a simple thing, and to condemn this woman for giving reasonable advice is such an exemplar of so much that is worrying about the current time.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, villakram said:

Please show the data to back that statement up.

We have almost no idea how these medicines interact with human biology that is changing so rapidly as that in a child, e.g., it will take us 10-25 years to determine if there was some systematic IQ (for example) or other effect. We have no idea (the same applies with covid of course). We do know that the covid risk to children is tiny, far less risky than the flu for example. This is not a simple thing, and to condemn this woman for giving reasonable advice is such an exemplar of so much that is worrying about the current time.

tenor.gif

• Like 1

The Dutch Government imposed the weirdest and illogical lockdown so far.

Basically,  shops and restaurants need to shut before 8.00pm + mask in crowded areas.

No crowds at foot ball but Cinemas and theaters can stay open.  I am mildly confused as to the science of this. 

The virus doesn't like the cold is all I can think off or travelling in the winter months as the borders are open.

It is as strange as can be and they seem to be trying to make everyone happy (vax / Non vax) ,  including the virus itself which is odd.

Â