Generic Virus Thread

villakram

8 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

If that's the case, what's the end game here?

Have restrictions indefinitely because our only way out of his doesn't work? 

I think at some point (pretty soon tbh) the choice should sit with the individual and the government should **** off. 

Booster jabs based on current variants. 

Current vaccines are based on the original strain which is now, what 20 months old? 

Now we have the "basic" formula for the disease it can be more quickly tweaked for the newer strains and finally get ahead of them, they will start looking for new strains earlier and earlier so the booster jabs are ready before they get too established. 

I'm not arguing if a further lockdown is needed or not, but vaccines are the way out, they are the end game.  They're just currently a little out of date. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Davkaus said:

It comes to something when I agree with Theresa May.

Amongst many other things, May is 'BA's woman in Parliament', so to speak, and that's obviously relevant to this intervention. But she makes some good points nevertheless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

We’re already out of lockdown and have been for months.

Sadly, the 'lockdown' is still affecting plenty. Selfishly, it doesn't stop me from doing what I want to do so it doesn't bother me, but I feel for those people that are still affected by the restrictions.

Remember when we sacrificed Xmas to save 2021? 😂

Just now, blandy said:

Remember when we didn't sacrifice Christmas to save 2021 but could and should have done?

Remember when we didn't lockdown in September, but could and should have done?

Remember when we told people to send their kids to school and forced councils to open them in January, and then had to reverse that immediately because it was moronic?

Remember when we didn't lock down at the start of March 2020 like the scientists said, but could and should have done?

Remember when we didn't stop travel from India but could and should have done?  - when it was in a worse state than places we did stop travel from, because Johnson wanted a headline on a trade deal?

Remember when they were moving people out of hospitals into care homes without testing them for Covid when we  could and should have done?

Remember Tory incompetence and rigid ideology caused 10s of thousands of people to die.

Yeh, Peru's lockdowns have been a roaring success..

Maybe we should lock down forever. Keep the people safe? 

23 minutes ago, blandy said:

Remember when we didn't sacrifice Christmas to save 2021 but could and should have done?

Remember when we didn't lockdown in September, but could and should have done?

Remember when we told people to send their kids to school and forced councils to open them in January, and then had to reverse that immediately because it was moronic?

Remember when we didn't lock down at the start of March 2020 like the scientists said, but could and should have done?

Remember when we didn't stop travel from India but could and should have done?  - when it was in a worse state than places we did stop travel from, because Johnson wanted a headline on a trade deal?

Remember when they were moving people out of hospitals into care homes without testing them for Covid when we  could and should have done?

Remember Tory incompetence and rigid ideology caused 10s of thousands of people to die.

Apologies if anyone sees this on social media. I am stealing it. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Maybe it’s not as simple as being fully locked down or fully open? 

Maybe it’s a more complex situation needing a constantly varied response based on many factors?

• Like 2

Just now, Genie said:

Maybe it’s not as simple as being fully locked down or fully open? 

Maybe it’s a more complex situation needing a constantly varied response based on many factors?

Maybe it is my good man, maybe it is.

• Like 1

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of restrictions being extended, if they are, and this prick goes through with his thread, they should throw the **** book at him, but somehow I feel he's rich enough to not have to worry about petty little things like the law.

What a word removed.

https://www.whatsonstage.com/london-theatre/news/lloyd-webber-tells-government-come-arrest-us_54227.html

Bolded with my emphasis, for the top lols.

Andrew Lloyd Webber has said he will reopen his theatres to full capacity on 21 June "come hell or high water".

In an explosive interview with the Telegraph, the composer and impresario said he will invite the government to "come to the theatre and arrest us" if this means he is breaking guidelines.

There has been extensive speculation that the government will postpone the current date for the full lifting of social restrictions in light of the spread of the delta variant.

Lloyd Webber is due to open his new show Cinderella at the Gillian Lynne Theatre on 25 June, just four days after restrictions are due to lift. He claims that evidence is lacking when it comes to the coronavirus being spread in theatres.

"I've seen the science from the tests, don't ask me how," he said. "They all prove that theatres are completely safe, the virus is not carried there."

He continued that if the government go ahead with a postponement of the lifting of restrictions, "we have the mother of all legal cases against them. If Cinderella couldn't open, we'd go, ‘Look, either we go to law about it or you'll have to compensate us'."

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of restrictions being extended, if they are, and this prick goes through with his thread, they should throw the **** book at him, but somehow I feel he's rich enough to not have to worry about petty little things like the law.

What a word removed.

https://www.whatsonstage.com/london-theatre/news/lloyd-webber-tells-government-come-arrest-us_54227.html

Bolded with my emphasis, for the top lols.

Good to know the virus doesn't like culture. Now we just need to pack everyone on the planet into showings of Cats at the same time and the virus will be wiped out.

Probably because everyone will have killed themselves instead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

To be frank, I haven't followed Peru's situation at all. And to be also frank, I basically dgaf. I don't live there, or vote there, I'm not sure it's a comparable situation even. But even if it were "the UK's effed up badly"  versus "yeh, but Peru is worse" is not any kind of argument or excuse or mitigation.

Nobody at all wants or likes being locked down. Indeed part of the reason we've had such extensive and long lockdowns is because, directly because, our government has been so incompetent. I mean this latest delay is 100 % entirely due to letting in the Indian Delta variant through not closing the borders to India when they should have done. They closed the border to Pakistan travel and Bangladesh which had lower rates, but left India open for purely PR purposes. And now you can't go to the pub or sport or music etc. because of them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

CON +45

I've said this many times in the election/Labour threads, but Vaccines = Con lead

Before the vaccine they were doing badly in the polls, Starmer was ahead by miles in terms of who'd be better PM. Then along comes vaccine "Oh, we're all saved, thanks Tories, we love you".

Unfortunately that's how simplistic much of the voting preferences and polling actually is. The vaccine is masking all kinds of monumental **** ups in terms of voting choices.

• Like 4

Â