Generic Virus Thread

villakram

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

First jab tomorrow afternoon for me, feels a bit like national service!

At Millenium point. Do I have to print out the booking reference or can I just show it them on my phone? If people can just turn up and take leftover vaccines I assume it isn't quite fort Knox to actually prove your identity to get in.

Just have to tell the person on the way in your booking reference and that's it. I'm not sure how busy it'll be at that time as I had mine at 8am and walked straight through but there was a bit of a queue even by the time I'd finished. 

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

First jab tomorrow afternoon for me, feels a bit like national service!

At Millenium point. Do I have to print out the booking reference or can I just show it them on my phone? If people can just turn up and take leftover vaccines I assume it isn't quite fort Knox to actually prove your identity to get in.

I wasn't at Millenium Point, but to get in I just had to give my name, then the nurse checked my name, DoB and address to ensure they were administering to the right patient. I didn't even turn up at the right time but they waved me in anyway.

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'd written mine on a piece of paper, I don't think it needs to be anything special. Even if you haven't got it with you, I think they'd probably be fine with your name, address and DOB to be honest.

You need to provide them enough information for them to find your NHS number.

I got sent a text for every appoinment with my booking reference on, I took that with me both times and that was enough

29 minutes ago, bickster said:

Seems to be a significant upward trend in at least two age groups there

Yeah, I guess that's the effect of the new variant and current uptick? Not all of those age groups will be double vaccinated plus two to three weeks yet either, I imagine, or wouldn't have been until very recently. 

The thing is the R rate will continue going up and down as the vaccine doesn't prevent you from catching it and transmitting it.

If the hospitalisation / death rate dramatically increases then I can see a case for pushing back the 'final' reopen date.

15 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

The thing is the R rate will continue going up and down as the vaccine doesn't prevent you from catching it and transmitting it.

I’m not sure that’s true. This study definitely says it prevents infection, and as such transmission. Whether or not transmission by infected people who are vaccinated occurs at a lower rate than non vaccinated would be harder to determine independently but is kind of unimportant if infection is already reduced significantly.

A new CDC study provides strong evidence that mRNA COVID-19 vaccines are highly effective in preventing SARS-CoV-2 infections in real-world conditions among health care personnel, first responders, and other essential workers.  These groups are more likely than the general population to be exposed to the virus because of their occupations

Edited by fightoffyour

2 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

If the hospitalisation / death rate dramatically increases then I can see a case for pushing back the 'final' reopen date.

Yes it absolutely does. 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes it absolutely does. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccination-what-to-expect-after-vaccination/what-to-expect-after-your-covid-19-vaccination#:~:text=Like all medicines%2C no,should be less severe.

The vaccine cannot give you COVID-19 infection, and a full course will reduce your chance of becoming seriously ill. We don’t know how much it will reduce the risk of you passing on the virus. So it is important to continue to follow current national guidance.

21 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccination-what-to-expect-after-vaccination/what-to-expect-after-your-covid-19-vaccination#:~:text=Like all medicines%2C no,should be less severe.

The vaccine cannot give you COVID-19 infection, and a full course will reduce your chance of becoming seriously ill. We don’t know how much it will reduce the risk of you passing on the virus. So it is important to continue to follow current national guidance.

That's very much in the vein of the long list of possible side-effects on American pharma adverts; it is arse-covering. In reality, we know that there is a big effect - not 100%, but a big effect - in reducing infection.

• Like 2

This virus really needs to **** off. My gf is so whiny lately, and after she realised her second summer in a row won't be spent on a beach, she got even more whiny. I really can't deal with it. 

On 08/06/2021 at 20:40, bickster said:

Seems to be a significant upward trend in at least two age groups there

Might be wrong here, but it’s percentage change, so shouldn’t it always be returning to zero if it’s not dropping? as in 0 consecutive fatalities would represent 0% change and the line would return to the middle.

Edited by a m ole

The joy of statistics;

10,000 are positive in week one, 10,100 are positive in week two. A 1% increase. Everything is fine.

1 person tests positive in week one, 10 test positive in week two. A 1000% increase. The sky is falling down.

There may be trends you can see from rises and falls, but at lower numbers percentages become useless.

Well there it is. Apparentley the officials realised I'm in a risk group (even if I kind of disagree), so I'm called in for vaccination today.

Anyone had Moderna? Any side effects?

Do you think I can lift weights after the shot or should I wait a day or two?

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Well there it is. Apparentley the officials realised I'm in a risk group (even if I kind of disagree), so I'm called in for vaccination today.

I’d wait.

My wife really struggled after her first AZ jab. Her arm was red, sore and swollen for 4-5 weeks. We suspect it could have been down to moving some furniture around the day after.

When we looked up the symptoms online  it looked to be very common with Moderna (Google Moderna arm).

3f60303b-e6fd-4534-adb4-d25af66893d2-lar

2nd jab it was fully rested for a couple of days and was absolutely fine.

I’d avoid any heavy lifting just in case.

• Sad 1

Leg day for you :)

11 hours ago, MCU said:

It was indeed the Pfizer I got. 👍 Feel like someones took a baseball bat to my arm now but other than that feeling OK... so far. Big up the staff at the Artrix in Bromsgrove 💙

Were you directed by the American lady?

I would stay away from and metal objects in case they start sticking to you and you can never put it down again. 

Â