Generic Virus Thread

villakram

37 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Absolute nutsack, this fella.

Do we know if he has any diagnosed conditions?

He doesn’t come across as a particularly well balanced individual.

Edited by chrisp65

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

A good while back I was worried about tourism opening back up here locally.

That it was clear from day 1 that a significant number of people don’t care to understand how to wear a mask, how to queue, where to sit and eat their chips. That as soon as anything vaguely touristy was open, it was a signal to some that restrictions were over. That has proven to be true, a significant number of people are either genuinely thick or wilfully ignorant.

It’s been obvious the last few weekends that the coach trips are back on. That line of coaches winding their way out of town and back to the Midlands every Saturday and Sunday evening. Some full of white people, some full of black people, some full of Asian people and every now and again, a mixed bus!

I was worried that this would lead to an uptick in infections locally. What with all the people that rely on seasonal tourism for work.

In the last 4 weeks, there hasn’t been a single positive covid result here. Our little cluster of council wards, so around about 15 to 20,000 people closest to the beaches and shops and funfair hasn’t registered a single case since the first half of May.

In these here parts, there's been the same touristy influx (more day trippers than stopper-overers I'd say), but the rate has gone up quite a bit. Though whether that's down to the tourists or just general mingling, or the general upsurge in North West spreading regardless, it's impossible to know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

A good while back I was worried about tourism opening back up here locally.

That it was clear from day 1 that a significant number of people don’t care to understand how to wear a mask, how to queue, where to sit and eat their chips. That as soon as anything vaguely touristy was open, it was a signal to some that restrictions were over. That has proven to be true, a significant number of people are either genuinely thick or wilfully ignorant.

It’s been obvious the last few weekends that the coach trips are back on. That line of coaches winding their way out of town and back to the Midlands every Saturday and Sunday evening. Some full of white people, some full of black people, some full of Asian people and every now and again, a mixed bus!

I was worried that this would lead to an uptick in infections locally. What with all the people that rely on seasonal tourism for work.

In the last 4 weeks, there hasn’t been a single positive covid result here. Our little cluster of council wards, so around about 15 to 20,000 people closest to the beaches and shops and funfair hasn’t registered a single case since the first half of May.

Are you saying that I'm okay staying in Wales or not? :detect:

13 minutes ago, blandy said:

In these here parts, there's been the same touristy influx (more day trippers than stopper-overers I'd say), but the rate has gone up quite a bit. Though whether that's down to the tourists or just general mingling, or the general upsurge in North West spreading regardless, it's impossible to know.

Yeah, it is looking impossible to know.

You can see quite plainly that the day trippers are coming from Birmingham, Wolverhampton and Dudley and the likes. All mingling with the people queuing for the Valleys trains and the people with cars, who’ve very likely come from walking distance within town.

All my instincts are telling me this should be a terrible mix. But right now, and every day for the last 30 days, zero.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, limpid said:

Are you saying that I'm okay staying in Wales or not? :detect:

I think everywhere is far far lower risk than it was. I think north Wales has a couple of relatively hot spots.

Right now, South Wales appears to be in a really good position. I think the stats for all of Wales are something like 1 death in the last month. When you see the figures reported on the news that say 9 deaths or 20 deaths across the UK, I think that figure is actually England and Scotland at the moment.

There doesn’t appear to be the clear and obvious link I presumed there was between coaches of day trippers from the Midlands descending on us and licking all the surfaces, and the positive test rate here. Which might change, but right now is zero.

• Like 1

Just now, chrisp65 said:

I think everywhere is far far lower risk than it was. I think north Wales has a couple of relatively hot spots.

Right now, South Wales appears to be in a really good position. I think the stats for all of Wales are something like 1 death in the last month. When you see the figures reported on the news that say 9 deaths or 20 deaths across the UK, I think that figure is actually England and Scotland at the moment.

There doesn’t appear to be the clear and obvious link I presumed there was between coaches of day trippers from the Midlands descending on us and licking all the surfaces, and the positive test rate here. Which might change, but right now is zero.

Dyfed, here I come then.

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ll let them know you’re on the way so they can start talking Welsh when you walk in the pub.

Rydw i allan o'r swyddfa

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I presumed there was between coaches of day trippers from the Midlands descending on us and licking all the surfaces, and the positive test rate here. Which might change, but right now is zero.

Angry Downton Abbey GIF

We were in the Lake District last weekend and it was very busy. Bowness always is, I know, but it was really rammed. I hadn't been there for a few years, and I was struck by how many Asian families were there in large numbers. 

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I hadn't been there for a few years, and I was struck by how many Asian families were there in large numbers. 

We'll have you voting UKIP before you know it :P 

8 hours ago, Xela said:

I thought the British countryside was racist? 

That's kinda my point. For years it was something you just didn't see. @Davkaus's joke notwithstanding, it's a good sign. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

That's kinda my point. For years it was something you just didn't see. @Davkaus's joke notwithstanding, it's a good sign. 

I think the Lakes is a popular Asian holiday destination now. As you say, a good thing that asian families are happy holidaying in traditionally white destinations.

Not been watching much news lately, but I have noticed the infected cases are rapidly going up. Not sure what to expect for the rest of the year. Be interesting to see how things stand in august, then October just before we go into the colder months . 

Â