Generic Virus Thread

villakram

On 14/06/2021 at 11:08, Davkaus said:

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of restrictions being extended, if they are, and this prick goes through with his thread, they should throw the **** book at him, but somehow I feel he's rich enough to not have to worry about petty little things like the law.

What a word removed.

https://www.whatsonstage.com/london-theatre/news/lloyd-webber-tells-government-come-arrest-us_54227.html

Bolded with my emphasis, for the top lols.

A follow up: It must be lovely being so rich and famous you can publicly threaten to break the law, and the reaction is the PM bending over backwards. I wonder how much he donates to the Conservative party.

Boris Johnson has revealed he is having "talks" with Andrew Lloyd Webber about the possibility of helping him open Cinderella, possibly within the next four weeks.

Speaking to the nation, Johnson revealed that he had been conversing with the Cats composer following Lloyd Webber's comments about the impact of a delay to the roadmap to his productions and the wider theatre ecosystem. The Prime Minister has today pushed back the next roadmap reopening date from 21 June to 19 July.

Johnson added: "We'll do whatever we can to make it work – there are some pilot events we hope to have go ahead within the next four weeks." Further details are to be revealed – WhatsOnStage has reached out to the Cinderella team for comment.

https://www.whatsonstage.com/london-theatre/news/boris-johnson-lloyd-webber-cinderella_54272.html

6 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

Had both AstraZeneca jabs now 😁 two weeks from now and hopefully old Ted will be brimming with antibodies! 

Had my second on Saturday, so ditto. The first one made me rough as dogs for 24 hours, so I was worried the second would do the same, but I hardly noticed any effects at all, just a bit shivery for a few hours.

When I went in to work yesterday they gave me a month+ supply (4 boxes) of NHS Rapid Antigen tests, which I now have to do each time before I go on site again. Seems a bit OTT, tbh.

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

A follow up: It must be lovely being so rich and famous you can publicly threaten to break the law, and the reaction is the PM bending over backwards. I wonder how much he donates to the Conservative party.

https://www.whatsonstage.com/london-theatre/news/boris-johnson-lloyd-webber-cinderella_54272.html

You can have whatever you wish, we’ll label it a pilot scheme. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, blandy said:

Had my second on Saturday, so ditto. The first one made me rough as dogs for 24 hours, so I was worried the second would do the same, but I hardly noticed any effects at all, just a bit shivery for a few hours.

When I went in to work yesterday they gave me a month+ supply (4 boxes) of NHS Rapid Antigen tests, which I now have to do each time before I go on site again. Seems a bit OTT, tbh.

I was much the same mate, first one I didn’t get out of bed for two days. The second, which I had Thursday just gone, left me a bit achy on the Friday but no where near as bad as the first. 

With regards to the lateral tests, my Mom is currently isolating with Covid at the moment. Thankfully nothing too sinister and she only has mild symptoms. Her mandated isolation comes to an end on Friday. My Dad takes regular lateral tests for his work and Mom has been using them and testing herself daily and they still return a positive result. So if they still do on Friday does she need to stay home? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just makes you think how many of those testing positive are actually liable to infect someone else. Moms had her two jabs and got it mildly so even if cases are high in future but people are vaccinated, surely we can’t persist with these restrictions 😩

Edit: My Dad has had the same jabs, same dates and he has tested negative throughout. Baffles me honestly 😂

Edited by SuperTed
Spelling & PS
  • Like 1

Can anyone explain to me in the simplest terms why there seems to be a LOT more side effects to AZ than mRNA vaccines? I'm saying 'seems' cause these are not exactly official statistics.

I remember taking the yellow fever vaccine and I feeling completely shit, and that was completely normal. Yet the mRNA vaccines seems to have most people feel just fine, except a bruised deltoid. How come mRNA can be so effective, yet cause so little side effects? Can't get my head around it.

39 minutes ago, sidcow said:

That seems to be the way of it doesn't it.

It was the excuse the other day why Gove wasn’t self isolating after being pinged as being in contact with someone who tested positive.

“He’s taking part in a pilot”

Its great that the Tories can plan ahead when it comes to keeping themselves and their chums/donors out of harms way.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Just had my first Pfizer one, cant tell if my arm feels weird or its my mind playing tricks on me. 

Quick, take advantage

im horny jack nicholson GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Can anyone explain to me in the simplest terms why there seems to be a LOT more side effects to AZ than mRNA vaccines? I'm saying 'seems' cause these are not exactly official statistics.

I remember taking the yellow fever vaccine and I feeling completely shit, and that was completely normal. Yet the mRNA vaccines seems to have most people feel just fine, except a bruised deltoid. How come mRNA can be so effective, yet cause so little side effects? Can't get my head around it.

I'm not in the medical field, so this is just from stuff i've read... 

AZ is a traditional vaccine, so giving you a tiny bit of the virus so your body produces anti-bodies to it and can fight it in the future when it meets it again.  This causes effects when having the vaccine. 

The PZ vaccine does something to your RNA to make it resistant against the virus.  As it's a completely new way of fighting viruses, we'll learn the side effects over the next 2-5-10-20 years (if there are any).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ender4 said:

AZ is a traditional vaccine, so giving you a tiny bit of the virus

I read somewhere that it's not "the virus" but a kind of neutralised version,  where the lab makes a relatively benign, kind of "volume turned down" version of the virus, so you don't get ill, like from the actual, full on virus, but you do still develop anti-bodies like you say, which are then ready for if the actual virus turns up.

14 hours ago, ender4 said:

I'm not in the medical field, so this is just from stuff i've read... 

AZ is a traditional vaccine, so giving you a tiny bit of the virus so your body produces anti-bodies to it and can fight it in the future when it meets it again.  This causes effects when having the vaccine. 

The PZ vaccine does something to your RNA to make it resistant against the virus.  As it's a completely new way of fighting viruses, we'll learn the side effects over the next 2-5-10-20 years (if there are any).

14 hours ago, blandy said:

I read somewhere that it's not "the virus" but a kind of neutralised version,  where the lab makes a relatively benign, kind of "volume turned down" version of the virus, so you don't get ill, like from the actual, full on virus, but you do still develop anti-bodies like you say, which are then ready for if the actual virus turns up.

Yep. AZ is an attenuated chimp derived Adenovirus vector delivered vaccine. It's the older more established way of delivering spike proteins via a limping half dead virus that your body doesn't have a problem dealing with. A bit like IVF or Jurassic Park using elephant eggs to grow dinosaur embryos. Your body sees the spike protein and mounts an immune response: turn up the heating to cook it, call the cavalry etc. The body creates the mRNA and antibodies from the immune response.

mRNA skips the immune response and simply produces antibodies from the mRNA delivered. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/06/2021 at 15:09, darrenm said:

I thought 2 doses was > 95% with the delta variant?

The number of deaths from COVID delta variant of people who had both jabs was something like 3% of total deaths which showed that the variant was no more deadly than any other variant.

Sorry to go back to this, but I saw another article repeating the AZ 60% figure I posted the other day.

According to figures gathered by Public Health Scotland and published in the Lancet, at least two weeks after the second dose of Covid jabs, protection against infection fell from 92% for the Alpha variant to 79% against the Delta variant for the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, while for the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine the protection fell from 73% to 60% respectively.

Â