Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

The daily infections are rising but it just doesn't seem to be translating to serious illness.  What's really, really annoying is the numbers of idiots who are in hospital who haven't taken the vaccine.  If they weren't such dicks the numbers really would be micro and there would be no discussion to be had about opening up again.

But we definitely in my opinion have reached the stage where we've got to ignore the cases and look at the outcomes.  It's not fair for all those businesses to suffer further with low numbers getting very ill and those mainly being people who had the chance to protect themselves and didn't.

Hmmm. I get your point. I think they said the number of cases is doubling every week. Also that the vaccines are not so effective at combating this Delta variant. There's what a third-ish of the country still unprotected. 20 million people unprotected from a virus that's spreading at a rate of double the numbers every week.

Yes deaths and serious illness are lower than the last wave, but I think it's too soon to just (not that you're saying this) crack on with life with no precautions at all. There are still a lot of people at risk of serious illness and until that's not the case care needs to be taken.

June 21sr restrictions lifting was mainly about lifting rules on how many people you could meet and nightclubs / gig venues reopening. Masks were still going to have to be worn indoors afaicr

It was never that big a step and pushing it back a few weeks shouldn't really hurt much

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, bickster said:

June 21sr restrictions lifting was mainly about lifting rules on how many people you could meet and nightclubs / gig venues reopening. Masks were still going to have to be worn indoors afaicr

It was never that big a step and pushing it back a few weeks shouldn't really hurt much

That’s where I am tbh. Most stuff is open now so from a personal point of view it makes little difference. I appreciate there’s others who it will impact more though.

• Like 1

I’d actually prefer things to stay as they are, but without masks. Keep others 2m away if possible, lower capacity pubs and clubs and restaurants.

Let me fly out the country to sit outside Lineker’s with a fag and a fry up and I’ll be buzzing.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

That’s where I am tbh. Most stuff is open now so from a personal point of view it makes little difference. I appreciate there’s others who it will impact more though.

Just from a personal perspective, I’m gutted. We’ve held off having the memorial service for my mum (who died a few weeks ago) until later in the month in the hopes that we can have a decent number there. It’s increasingly looking like we are going to have to draw up a list of who can and can’t come now. Can’t imagine how we get to decide who is on the list and who misses out. 

Not arguing against the reasons behind extending the date for lifting the restrictions but man, it sucks. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, choffer said:

Just from a personal perspective, I’m gutted. We’ve held off having the memorial service for my mum (who died a few weeks ago) until later in the month in the hopes that we can have a decent number there. It’s increasingly looking like we are going to have to draw up a list of who can and can’t come now. Can’t imagine how we get to decide who is on the list and who misses out. 

Not arguing against the reasons behind extending the date for lifting the restrictions but man, it sucks. 

That does indeed suck.

Weve cancelled the birthday party we had planned for my daughter. There won’t be enough time between a decision and the day to organise and invite people.

She can still however take a couple of friends out to the Cinema or Snowdome so it’s not all lost. 

As it's opened up to my age group this morning I finally, after several attempts, managed to book my 2 appointments. Do you not know which vaccine you're getting untill you go in?

Edited by MCU

3 minutes ago, MCU said:

As it's opened up to my age group this morning I finally, after several attempts, managed to book my 2 appointments. Do you not know which vaccine you're getting untill you go in?

They’ll tell you when you arrive. If you’re under 40 and in the UK you’re very likely to be given Pfizer.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bickster said:

Got two stag dos in July including a fan park for the Euro final. As long it’s gone by the 10th of July I’m happy.

I wonder if the government will bring in an extra step. 
Push what was 21/06 back a month or 2, and maybe open up a few bits and bobs on the 21st.

Unlimited (within reason) people at weddings, parties, funerals etc, but 50,000 hugging in a field can wait a bit longer. 

1 hour ago, MCU said:

I think it depends. If you haven't been told already then I'm guessing yo don't get told until you're there.

When my GP text me to get mine it said straight away I was getting Pfizer, so don't know if it varies depending on how you book it

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think it depends. If you haven't been told already then I'm guessing yo don't get told until you're there.

When my GP text me to get mine it said straight away I was getting Pfizer, so don't know if it varies depending on how you book it

Ah right okay, I suspect it to be Pfizer to be honest. Did you get any side effects after the first dose?

Just now, MCU said:

Ah right okay, I suspect it to be Pfizer to be honest. Did you get any side effects after the first dose?

A very sore arm (basically like a pretty bad dead arm) and a bit of tiredness but nothing too bad

28 minutes ago, Genie said:

Push what was 21/06 back a month

I see no reason to delay,  it looks like any other virus now in that a lot of people can catch it with no real harm in percentage terms.  This is assuming those over 40 have had both jabs.

The virus has 2 aims,  to multiply and kill.  I cannot see how it can achieve these things now,  where and who can it go for now to always keep these 2 things active and to keep the R number above 1?  

13 hours ago, choffer said:

I attended a funeral on Friday, 18 allowed in with a further 10 allowed in the foyer, there must have been 70+ people all outside, thankfully the weather was good but it’s a tragedy within a tragedy really, could easily have gotten another 20 people inside and still been able to ‘social distance’ well enough.

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, MCU said:

I guess you booked the same way as me, through the website? If so, I didn't learn until I got there (but it was Pfizer as expected).

3 hours ago, MCU said:

Like @Stevo985, I had a sore arm. Had the lunchtime but it didn't start until late in the evening. It lasted about 24 hours. Nothing else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First jab tomorrow afternoon for me, feels a bit like national service!

At Millenium point. Do I have to print out the booking reference or can I just show it them on my phone? If people can just turn up and take leftover vaccines I assume it isn't quite fort Knox to actually prove your identity to get in.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

At Millenium point. Do I have to print out the booking reference or can I just show it them on my phone? If people can just turn up and take leftover vaccines I assume it isn't quite fort Knox to actually prove your identity to get in.

When I went I just read out my booking reference from my phone and showed them some ID and they were fine with that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'd written mine on a piece of paper, I don't think it needs to be anything special. Even if you haven't got it with you, I think they'd probably be fine with your name, address and DOB to be honest.

• Like 1

Â