Generic Virus Thread

villakram

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

We were in the Lake District last weekend and it was very busy. Bowness always is, I know, but it was really rammed. I hadn't been there for a few years, and I was struck by how many Asian families were there in large numbers. 

We went to some lakeside place in Derbyshire the other week when it was red hot. There’s a kind of man made beach there, among other things. Very busy , and me and the missus were struck on how many Asian people were there. Also a few Eastern European’s. We definitely seemed in the minority. Derby and Burton not too far away, so kind of expected with those places having a large ethnic population. 

6 hours ago, Genie said:

It’s pretty incredible how the Delta variant has taken hold

_118980625_indian_variant_england-2021-0

Yes, it's a REALLY good job we're so far the vaccination programme or we could have been seeing something similar here to what happened in India.  This version is so much more transmissible and also more dangerous which is odd because usually when a virus mutates to become more contagious it sacrifices some of its severity so it's not following the rules. 

Got my 2nd jab this coming Saturday. I dare say I could have got it quicker if I tried but I'm in no rush as I've got no holidays/trips planned for the foreseeable. 

• Like 1

Primary school kids are already self isolating in my small town in Devon due to positive cases of COVID. - Three teachers in the school my wife works all have it 😢 

there’s been a noticeable upturn in cases since the warm weather and the nation travelling down to the south west. 

The G7 probably and the necessary support bandwagon didn’t help either. 

Edited by theboyangel

I said the other day that my neice had it.  Well now my nephew from my other brother has it too. One in Brum and one in Edinburgh.  It seems to be spreading through the young uns now. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Sad 3

10 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I think the govt need to give the vaccine to secondary school kids over the summer holidays.  Ideally in a way so they have have had both jabs by the start of the September term.

I'd be really surprised if 16-17 year olds don't start getting it soon. Freshers flu at university is bad enough for first year students, without whole year of university Freshers being only partially vaccinated

Yeah looks like schools will be hit quite often - possibly won't get another lockdown but if schools have to keep closing it'll be very disruptive - let alone the teaching unions kicking up a fuss. 

18 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Interesting - I do wonder how much of this is from people having to postpone vaccination due to getting the virus. Currently in day 4 of isolation due to my partner (primary school teacher) testing positive. She had her first dose booked for next week, but has had to cancel and will now have to leave it 4 weeks after isolation. Sounds as though under 30s are most effected by third wave so far, so the slowdown could partly be due to that

3 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Interesting - I do wonder how much of this is from people having to postpone vaccination due to getting the virus. Currently in day 4 of isolation due to my partner (primary school teacher) testing positive. She had her first dose booked for next week, but has had to cancel and will now have to leave it 4 weeks after isolation. Sounds as though under 30s are most effected by third wave so far, so the slowdown could partly be due to that

I'm sure that has an effect at the margins, but I wouldn't have thought the numbers added up for a big impact; lots of the positive cases have been among schoolkids and adults who were too young to be on the list until the last few days.

My guess is a big part of the difference is the slower speed of Pfizer compared to AZ. People working at vaccine centres report that the 15-minute wait after the jab is slowing things down. Some of it might also be down to giving under-40s Pfizer, which might make it harder to match AZ doses to patients at this stage.

However, I'm just guessing. Whatever it is, the effort is flagging at the worst possible time.

• Like 1

I saw that Pfizer was approved (I think) for 12-17 year olds. This is clearly high school age children. My lad goes to high school in September, but isn’t 12 until next August. I wonder if they’ll stretch the ruling go be all high school children, or strictly those 12 and older? 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I saw that Pfizer was approved (I think) for 12-17 year olds. This is clearly high school age children. My lad goes to high school in September, but isn’t 12 until next August. I wonder if they’ll stretch the ruling go be all high school children, or strictly those 12 and older? 

Yay another Genie vacination countdown :mrgreen:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unfortunately I think it's a fact less people are coming forward to get vaccinated.  They've tumbled down the age groups.  It would take 3-4 weeks between the 5 year age groups but they've gone from under 35 to over 18 in about 3 weeks. 

I just don't think they've got the same numbers coming forward. 

When I was able to book through the national booking service there was a 2 week delay before I could book a slot.  My son is 18 and when I looked yesterday there were slots for within a couple of days. So capacity is there, it's just not been used. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Unfortunately I think it's a fact less people are coming forward to get vaccinated.  They've tumbled down the age groups.  It would take 3-4 weeks between the 5 year age groups but they've gone from under 35 to over 18 in about 3 weeks. 

I just don't think they've got the same numbers coming forward. 

When I was able to book through the national booking service there was a 2 week delay before I could book a slot.  My son is 18 and when I looked yesterday there were slots for within a couple of days. So capacity is there, it's just not been used. 

I suspect this too, in theory they should be extremely busy doing 18-25 year olds but places near me now doing walk ins all week. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

It would take 3-4 weeks between the 5 year age groups

That really isn't the same recollection as me except right at the start, from about 65 downwards it was about 2 weeks at most which coincided with increased supplies in the chain, the only time it wasn't was April when there was a known shortage in supplies. 55 years old was called in the middle of March, we were still in the over 70 - 75's in Mid Jan. When you also consider  we have an aging population (yeah yeah "Boomers"), there are more people in the upper 5 year bands than the lower 5 year bands 

Â