Generic Virus Thread

villakram

12 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Pfizer'ed up, 1st dose, Sutton town hall, very impressed, no waiting nice and calm, I'm not even causing any interference on the car radio.🤣

Still free parking in the car parks nearby? 

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Still free parking in the car parks nearby? 

I can't say it's the same everywhere but in Portsmouth City Centre, there was free parking as long as you shown your little sticker on the way out showing that you have had the jab. 

(...off he runs to print stickers to sell to the locals ;))

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Nothing quite says first world problems like people bitching about not having a foreign holiday.

Well.

In my case, I'm bitching about not being sure whether I can see my parents without incurring crazy costs, whether guests for my wedding will even come, despite being vaccinated. 

I'm not sure why even intelligent people are being drawn into this 'foreign travel = holiday' narrative. 

If I wanted to go to my nans funeral i would have had to have had hotel quarantine. My cousins funeral is next week, add 120 quid PCR plus 7 day quarantine if I wanted to go. 

Some people, vaccinated people, want to see their family again. My parents are nearly 70. They can't easily get over here despite them having both doses and the EU/Poland saying its ok for them to come over; for likely political reasons. Who knows how many more years we'll have to spend together. 

I expected better than such a lazy take from you Chris. I'm at wits end with the lack of logic from the UK side at this point. I know @fightoffyour is in the same boat. 

• Sad 1

It’s the sheer entitlement of it for me - “I haven’t had a holiday for xx months!!!”  

So great, the uk is ahead of most of the rest of the world with vaccines but does that really entitle us to wander round whichever country we want potentially spreading the virus in countries that haven’t vaccinated yet?

People in Stefan’s position have my sympathies. It must be horrendous to know you’re locked out but people who feel it’s their right to go to the algarve can do one as far as I’m concerned. 

• Like 1

It pisses me off that people are so non chalant that flying abroad should be stopped because holidays aren't necessary. 

Maybe I read more into your post than was there but it's an overwhelming sentiment I've seen all over the shop. 

And unfortunately our wedding and funerals and emergencies and whatever else gets caught up in this bollocks. 

Edited by StefanAVFC

10 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It pisses me off that people are so non chalant that flying abroad should be stopped because holidays aren't necessary. 

Maybe I read more into your post than was there but it's an overwhelming sentiment I've seen all over the shop. 

And unfortunately our wedding and funerals and emergencies and whatever else gets caught up in this bollocks. 

I’m not nonchalant about it, I’m just far more interested in the people that haven’t had any sort of holiday in ten years than the people bitching that they miss their annual week in Tuscany or Ibiza. I’m more interested in the scandal of relatives not being allowed to see their family in care homes, dad’s not allowed to be at the birth of their kids. Students that have paid thousands out for Uni courses and accommodation.

Traffic light systems for holidays is sickeningly trivial. Yes, there are jobs involved there too, but that’s not even the news reporting angle. It’s this perverse pre occupation with the worries of people that did ok out of lockdown not getting a chance to fly away on their hollibobs.

8 hours ago, choffer said:

So great, the uk is ahead of most of the rest of the world with vaccines but does that really entitle us to wander round whichever country we want potentially spreading the virus in countries that haven’t vaccinated yet?

Not entitle no, but most if not all of Europe (did they come to that joint agreement yet) is actually already open for travel free from tests or quarantine for vaccinated people as it should be. It’s just the UK making it largely impractical to return or enter (if that’s the intended destination) because of nonsensical fears over Bermuda Triangle strains.

• Like 3

The Pfizer van in Birmingham was too popular that they've now restricted it to three post codes for it's last day today. Would've been eligible if I lived half a mile down the road... Hopefully reports of them opening up vaccinations to over 25s next week are true.

10 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Nothing quite says first world problems like people bitching about not having a foreign holiday.

Indie

The shift of Portugal from the green list of holiday destinations to amber, and the addition of absolutely no new countries to said green list, is something of a hammer blow to the nation’s holiday plans for the second summer in a row.

“So what?” has been a somewhat stock response. A foreign holiday is not a human right. There’s a pandemic on. What’s wrong with a holiday in the UK? (This response has typically come from people who haven’t quite noticed that a nice holiday cottage in Cornwall costs roughly three times as much as a week on the Algarve.)

Transport secretary Grant Shapps has been on the radio, essentially admitting that cracking down on foreign travel is a sacrifice we must endure to ensure domestic unlocking on the anointed day of 21 June.

This is all very well, but numerous questions arise. Cracking down on foreign travel is what Australia and New Zealand did in the early days of the pandemic, to the extent that Australians abroad have been banned from returning home for more than a year. They have, as a result, for the most part, enjoyed the benefits of a relatively normal life.

The UK, on the other hand, spent those early days flying in high numbers of Covid-19 cases from Spain and Italy, with absolutely no border checks at all. In the less early days, even when the region of Lombardy was sealed off from the rest of Italy, it was not sealed off from Heathrow airport.

They’ve learned their lesson now though, apparently, which is why, between the months of January and April this year, during lockdown, fully 1.59 million people arrived in the UK, 1.09 million of them foreign nationals.

• Like 1

I believe its only in the last week that they’ve thought it might be a good idea to separate the queues arriving from red list countries, from the other queues at Heathrow.

But I think we are in a very different situation to New Zealand and Australia. To the best of my knowledge, ‘they’ don’t get thousands of lorry drivers from dozens of countries arriving on a daily basis and they don’t share a land border with a foreign state that itself has an open borders arrangement with 20 or so other countries.

So I do completely get how we are different to other nations, I get how we had to make up rules as the situation developed and how things can be seen as unprecedented. I get all that.

I couldn’t give a shit about people’s perceived need to sit outside Linekers bar with a full english and a Carling for breakfast, I couldn’t give a shit about 18 holes of golf in the Agarve and I couldn’t give a shit about visiting the locations from Mamma Mia becuase you had a tough year and you feel you deserve it. 

If you are now in a position where you have the ability and finances to holiday abroad during a pandemic, and it’s at the top of your agenda that ‘they’ are stopping you having a nice holiday, then you have not had a tough year. Man the **** up.

• Like 1

Eh. People want to get back to normal. The country is by and large vaccinated. People being frustrated at opening up being halted and in some instances rolled back when they’re not being given a real reason as to why doesn’t mean they also don’t care that lots of people have died and that people have struggled for money.

The media talking about it all the time is a different issue.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Eh. People want to get back to normal. The country is by and large vaccinated. People being frustrated at opening up being halted and in some instances rolled back when they’re not being given a real reason as to why doesn’t mean they also don’t care that lots of people have died and that people have struggled for money.

The media talking about it all the time is a different issue.

I’d add with the caveat that ‘has by and large had their first dose’. Only half of all adults have had both doses I think. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I’d add with the caveat that ‘has by and large had their first dose’. Only half of all adults have had both doses I think. 

Yep, although the critical half.

Â