Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

That's way too anecdotal to drive any restrictions. Some people have a car accident and can't walk afterwards. We don't restrict driving. 

It wasn't meant to.

There's a spectrum of outcomes that can't be predicted accurately. The rates of deaths and hospitalisations has come right down but the number of infections is going up and we still don't have any data on how bad those infections are. It's clearly not causing the deaths it was before but how ill are these people getting? Is it enough to lay most people up for days like flu and then your fine (something I think we could all live with) or are these people getting medium/long term breathing issues or long covid? I don't know because I haven't seen any data on it.

Seems to me they've made a dumb decision today based not on the "data" they've always spouted to be following but the PM's wanky self imposed deadline that he's gone around parroting like the fool he is.

I think the sensible thing to do is to leave everything as it is now with small, incremental improvements as and when we can make them rather than this crazy "freedom day" all or nothing crap.

17 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

And they're willing to sacrifice the travel industry and anyone with family abroad to do it. 

Foreigners are bad.

CON +3

• Haha 2

So pretty much stopping foreign travel due to a worry about the current Indian variant mutating. What a load of bollcoks. There will always be mutations so on that basis restrictions would never end. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

It's never going to **** end. What is even special about 21st of June? Everything is already open there isn't it?

Pretty much. I suspect it will be large gathering and other things restricted by number. 

3 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

It's never going to **** end. What is even special about 21st of June? Everything is already open there isn't it?

That's when pubs can get rammed again

On that particular aspect, I'm quite happy to keep the no standing in pubs rule :mrgreen:

• Like 2

I guess they’ve also stopped import and export through Dover, Felixstowe, Southampton, Holyhead, Fishguard…?

Or is this variant only attracted to sun cream and union jack shorts?

• Like 1

Are people really going to stand for this or is there going to be a backlash this time?

I can't imagine that a lot of people want to holiday in the UK, and even those that do are going to have it ruined by costing far more than it normally would and being overly crowded with too many other arseholes.

The only reason I can see for Portugal being moved to the amber list is because there's now about another 20 countries that meet the criteria that were previously set out for it being green listed, and it would make even less sense to allow travel to Portugal but not to those places. That and the Champions League final has now passed.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Are people really going to stand for this or is there going to be a backlash this time?

All the way through people have suggested that the public won’t have more restrictions, but they do.

I think this won’t affect many people in reality. Not enough to cause an uprising.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I wonder whether the policy to reduce foreign travel is being influenced by the boost it will give the UK economy when people take holidays in the UK?

There was a story the other day suggesting this years economic bounce back will be bigger than expected. Stopping people leave the country probably contributing to that.

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Is there a travel corridor from Nepal through Portugal I'm not aware of?

That'll be the variant first discovered in Nepal that the WHO hadn't even heard about yesterday

• Like 3

Further to the post above...

Is there a Nepal variant of Covid?

Evidence of a mutation in genomic sequencing databases is lacking, says leading scientist

Indy

Remember, it was said with a straight face

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

What data could there be?

Cases shouldn't be driving any restrictions, it should 100% be deaths and hospitalisations.

Portugal have had single digit daily deaths for a couple of weeks it seems.

Are our government of the opinion that ANY Covid death justifies restrictions?

We should also look at the trending data. it's a 3 week delay between infection and death, so that data should be used as well.

No, that's incorrect. Here's why.

Deaths and hospitalisations in Portugal (of the Portuguese population) will reflect the propensity of the Portuguese population to be seriously affected by the virus and not reflect the propensity of UK visitors to be affected by the virus. Now with the UK being vaccinated to a large degree, you would expect our hospitalisations to be lower IF we went to Portugal and caught virus.

Cases however indicate how widespread the virus is in Portugal and are actually a better measure of the likelihood of UK visitors picking it up and bringing it back here. and to close off, Deaths and hospitalisations in the UK are not a good measure for the state of the virus in Portugal either.

So the scientists using case numbers in Portugal is the best measure available, though you'd hope (for the reasons you suggest) that our Politicians might factor in stuff like "they're vaccinated, so can travel".

TL:DR you're right to be miffed and confused, but wrong on the measure.

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

I can't imagine that a lot of people want to holiday in the UK, and even those that do are going to have it ruined by costing far more than it normally would and being overly crowded with too many other arseholes.

The only reason I can see for Portugal being moved to the amber list is because there's now about another 20 countries that meet the criteria that were previously set out for it being green listed, and it would make even less sense to allow travel to Portugal but not to those places. That and the Champions League final has now passed.

Agreed.

I said ages ago that I didn't (and don't) think it's right for our government to ban its law-abiding citizens from travelling anywhere abroad. It should be up to the other country to determine who it lets in.

It's fair enough to impose restrictions or bans on people coming in if they are from a virus place - and they should have been doing that a year and more ago.

People have every right to be furious with the government. I'm surprised more aren't, the appalling way the pandemic has been handled, tbh.

• Like 4

Â