Generic Virus Thread

villakram

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Feel really **** down about this today. I never expected the vaccines to work quickly or be as easy to implement as suggested. But I kind of thought the second wave was passing and I could see my family when I finished this work I'm on. Then this new covid strain hit and everything is on lock down again.

Small price to pay. Stick to the rules, this will pass. You have this. Keep your chin up. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I know, and I know others got it so much worse, but seriously **** this **** covid crap.

Its true and we should not measure by others, forget all that, focus on yourself and keep going. It really will be better one day. 

• Like 2

So sorry to hear your news @Xann . Truly horrible news to wake up to this morning. If there’s anything you need a hand with, just say the word. I’m sure you’re stacked with f&f but if you need anything, just shout.

Edited by choffer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Small price to pay. Stick to the rules, this will pass. You have this. Keep your chin up. 

Not sure I agree that it’s a small price to pay, spending a year of your life in lockdown is actually a bloody massive sacrifice.

9 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Not sure I agree that it’s a small price to pay, spending a year of your life in lockdown is actually a bloody massive sacrifice.

Well on comparison it is. When faced with what the higher price could be. 

• Like 1

My wife is really down, I think the somber nature of the last press conference really got to her. It’s her birthday next week and it’s hit home that she won’t be able to do anything with her mum, sister etc.

Shit times. We really need to start to see evidence that the vaccines are having the desired effect on the number of infected, hospitalisations and deaths.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Xann said:

Thanks All for the thoughts x

The reality is Dad was 84 and had no short term memory. He was rapidly heading toward complete dependence, literally nappies and shit.

He'd always said he'd smother Mum with a pillow and then top himself if they was put in a home? Fortunately he forgot that too, though we lived in fear of that memory coming back, even fleetingly.

It was a gentle exit for him. I actually thought he'd survive it. His breathing was regular and any discomfort was offset by a modest (ie non lethal) dose of opiates, then he'd sleep like a baby.

My Sister was conscious on her last day. That's the benchmark of horror for me, with the heart attack in second. Dad's exit was serenity compared with that.

Dad's death feels like the way of things, and I'm finding myself weirdly calm about it all today. Family and friends on on hand to help deal with legal aspects and it's a three week wait before we can get any type of service, which gives us time to find a couple of his old friends.

Mum's deep in dementia and so far completely unaware Dad has gone.

She's a pacer. After days of being in Covid sleep she wakes up on Thursday and it's business as usual.

I'm sat with Dad on Thursday night, in a darkened room, a large picture of my Sister in white next to his bed illuminated by the light in the corridor.

Every couple of minutes Mum walks past the open door, first one way, then the other without looking in.

I'm sat there thinking, what fresh hell is this? It was like some sort of psychological horror film.

Anyway, got a few days in spare room isolation to mull on it all.

Need a hug button for this mate. Take care.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

Possible game changer

Brilliant if it works out. I'd like to understand how a single dose vaccine is any different to any other vaccine which is also a single dose given twice to improve efficacy. 

33 minutes ago, bickster said:

Possible game changer

Fantastic.  Hadn't even been thinking about OTHER vaccines coming into the mix. 

It seems to be single does and stores in a normal fridge as well.... Double bubble. 

I think we start to get the Moderna one in Spring as well (what does that mean?  March?) 

If they can get all over 50s done by end of March, depending on the number of daily shots they can actually do, they could get the whole population done in just another couple of months maybe? 

I assume we will continue to get Pfizer and Oxford at the same rates which are enabling 500k a day, add Moderna and J&J into the mix and that's a flood of vaccines. 

How long should it take to train up someone to deliver vaccines? Surely they should be able to run a vaccine delivery training course inside a few weeks to enable more people to deliver them? 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think that press conference was utterly irresponsible to be honest.

In what way?

I'm not disagreeing, I'm so fatigued by the whole thing I've just stopped watching them and have only caught the headlines.

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

In what way?

I'm not disagreeing, I'm so fatigued by the whole thing I've just stopped watching them and have only caught the headlines.

But the BBC labels them as 'Bulletins Building Confidence'! 

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

In what way?

There's a positive story to tell. Last week, day-on-day infection numbers decreased, so the lockdown is unquestionably working. Rather than constantly blaming 'rule-breakers' and threatening tougher enforcement, they could emphasise the successes of this latest effort.

But they didn't do that - instead, they gave a press conference with a very sombre tone, largely around the threat posed by new strains. To be frank, it is not currently clear exactly how serious the new strains are, and a lot more data needs to be gathered before worrying people about them. Just to give one example:

On Friday, this strain was allegedly 30% more deadly. So has it become 20% less deadly in the last 48 hours, or do we actually just not have enough data to be doing big, solemn press conferences about how we're all screwed?

The big picture is it's January, everyone is feeling shit, the weather is bad, we've been in and out of lockdown for a year, there's a mental health crisis. They need to be extremely careful about how they communicate bad news, and they just aren't; instead, they're seizing on these new variants as a way to deflect blame from their December policy failures, at least in part.

There has been a noticeable uptick in people On Here saying they feel hopeless over the last week, and particularly since that press conference, and I have heard it from people offline as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

Does the UK government have any orders for 1 shot vaccines? 

Yes, they have 52m of the Johnson and Johnson vaccine on order. 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1380795/coronavirus-news-vaccine-johnson-johnson-pfizer-biontech-oxford-ont

A THIRD coronavirus jab - administered in a single-shot - could be approved in time to join the UK's vaccination rollout, it is claimed.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Â