Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Just now, trekka said:

According to Our World in Data, we're now 3rd in the world (going by the 7-day rolling average) on the number of vaccinations administered.  We've just overtaken Bahrain and only behind Israel and the UAE.

I read somewhere earlier (can’t remember where) that the pound was well up on the USD and EURO as optimism rises the UKs economy will bounce back before others due to the speedy vaccine rollout. 
I think against the dollar it was 2.5 year high.

That's unusual activity for a virus. 

Normally when it becomes more infectious it becomes less dangerous. To get more contagious AND more deadly is unusual. 

Fook. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, sidcow said:

That's unusual activity for a virus. 

Normally when it becomes more infectious it becomes less dangerous. To get more contagious AND more deadly is unusual. 

Fook. 

Just our luck to get hit by a virus that is too stupid to do what is in its own best interest. In fact, doing things that are directly against your own best interest seems to be a running theme in this country at the moment.

• Like 3

Yes seeing how ill my mate has been has made me rethink my idea of once the most vulnerable are vaccinated you can reopen things.  It's utterly depressing being locked down but it's more depressing losing family and friends.  I reckon we will be lucky to be able to go to the pub in June.

On 13/01/2021 at 13:57, avfcDJ said:

So, I have the dreaded Rona.

This could be bad if it affects my asthma. Right now I’m so tired and feel like I’m sat on the sun. It’s shit. I haven’t even been outside much - only for some bike rides away from people - but here it is, I have it. 

How are you faring now? Hope all is well with you. 

Is it wrong to think talking about this new strain being more deadly, makes people forget that they forced schools to stay open and were on the verge of allowing 5 days for families to mix over Christmas? 

Yes, blame the new strain for ridiculously high deaths, nothing to do with the government. 

• Like 3

I'm sorry but once the most vulnerable are vaccinated we simply must open back up. It's been nearly a year, people are dying of other causes linked to this virus too. A close family member's (urgent) surgery has been delayed, how many more ill patients will lose time? Mental health cases, up. Suicides, up. This can't go on.

• Like 2

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

I'm sorry but once the most vulnerable are vaccinated we simply must open back up. It's been nearly a year, people are dying of other causes linked to this virus too. A close family member's (urgent) surgery has been delayed, how many more ill patients will lose time? Mental health cases, up. Suicides, up. This can't go on.

I'm not so sure. If the government had any sense, and I think people can already see the problem here, they'd have been spending the last few weeks/months having proper analysis done on the impacts of this illness on less vulnerable people, particularly around non-fatal symptoms that can still seriously impair quality of life.

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Well the surgery being delayed will be based on hospital admissions so opening up wouldn’t help that.

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm not so sure. If the government had any sense, and I think people can already see the problem here, they'd have been spending the last few weeks/months having proper analysis done on the impacts of this illness on less vulnerable people, particularly around non-fatal symptoms that can still seriously impair quality of life.

What difference would that 'analysis' make? 

The problem is not that we don't have enough information, it's that we're more or less locked in our houses. We can't keep doing this forever, I'm sorry but it's as simple as that. 

• Like 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

The problem is not that we don't have enough information, it's that we're more or less locked in our houses. We can't keep doing this forever, I'm sorry but it's as simple as that. 

Exactly. It's beyond ridiculous, even at this point. Another 6 months is just unthinkable.

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Nobody is saying we keep doing it forever, but the end is no longer an faint light at the end of the tunnel of unknown length, if we were still waiting on a vaccine, I'd agree with you, but we have a vaccine, and we're seeing how quickly we're rolling it out and can project that across the nation.

It seems prudent to me to look at how quickly we could vaccinate pretty much everyone, and weigh that up against how many people are going to die or seriously suffer vs the impact of x weeks more restrictions, where x weeks is now a calculable number.

I'm not saying we lock down until the death rate is 0. I've been condemned on here previously for talking about how risk is a necessary part of life and that we need to accept a certain amount of infections, and, sadly deaths. While this news about the increased death rate is troubling, equally so is the effects of "long covid" even on some young and previously healthy people, and I've not heard much noise about trying to figure out just how widespread that is.

Edited by Davkaus

Â