Generic Virus Thread

villakram

I feel lockdown 3 has impacted more people than the previous two. Noticing a lot more of my work colleagues, as well as people on here, struggling. 

I'm ok, relatively speaking, but I cant do another 12 months of this shit. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Nobody is saying we keep doing it forever, but the end is no longer an faint light at the end of the tunnel of unknown length, if we were still waiting on a vaccine, I'd agree with you, but we have a vaccine, and we're seeing how quickly we're rolling it out and can project that across the nation.

It seems prudent to me to look at how quickly we could vaccinate pretty much everyone, and weigh that up against how many people are going to die or seriously suffer vs the impact of x weeks more restrictions, where x weeks is now a calculable number.

I'm not saying we lock down until the death rate is 0. I've been condemned on here previously for talking about how risk is a necessary part of life and that we need to accept a certain amount of infections, and, sadly deaths. While this news about the increased death rate is troubling, equally so is the effects of "long covid" even on some young and previously healthy people, and I've not heard much noise about trying to figure out just how widespread that is.

The point is, per Vallance, the virus is going to be around forever:

. . . so there is no 'zero covid' solution. It doesn't exist. Vaccines are all we have - and this is the key point - however well or not they work.

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The point is, per Vallance, the virus is going to be around forever:

. . . so there is no 'zero covid' solution. It doesn't exist. Vaccines are all we have - and this is the key point - however well or not they work.

With respect, I'm not sure how that's a rebuttal to my point, but maybe I haven't made my view clear.

It's not that I think we should continue to lockdown, or that we shouldn't, it's that I think there needs to be a bit more nuance, forethought and consideration of the consequences of various approaches and timing than "well the vulnerable are vaccinated, go wild lads!".

I understand @StefanAVFC's frustrations completely and want this to be over as quickly as possible, but just throwing the doors open as soon as the most at risk group is done without any further thought would be, IMO, the kind of populistic reaction that has pulled this government and country from crisis to crisis.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Xela said:

I feel lockdown 3 has impacted more people than the previous two. Noticing a lot more of my work colleagues, as well as people on here, struggling. 

I'm ok, relatively speaking, but I cant do another 12 months of this shit. 

It’s also January. January’s are pretty shit in a normal year. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Well, it's getting closer. Our son-in-law has symptoms, and has had a positive test. Now our daughter (i.e. his wife) is feeling ill, and waiting for a result, which will surely be positive. We were looking after their baby last week. So we are now isolating. Feeling OK at the moment, but waiting with bated breath... 

fingers crossed you’re all ok! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

With respect, I'm not sure how that's a rebuttal to my point, but maybe I haven't made my view clear.

It's not that I think we should continue to lockdown, or that we shouldn't, it's that I think there needs to be a bit more nuance, forethought and consideration of the consequences of various approaches and timing than "well the vulnerable are vaccinated, go wild lads!".

I understand @StefanAVFC's frustrations completely and want this to be over as quickly as possible, but just throwing the doors open as soon as the most at risk group is done without any further thought would be, IMO, the kind of populistic reaction that has pulled this government and country from crisis to crisis.

You're right, I think we're talking past each other a bit. I am not suggesting 'going wild' or 'doing things without any further thought'. Clearly we are constantly gathering data on the progress of the virus, and making predictions about what is possible. Each decision about restrictions will continue to be based on whether or not we have sufficient healthcare capacity.

What I am pushing is that we need to be realistic about the virus, which means an acknowledgement that a] it's not going away, and b] there will continue to be the danger of long-term illness and death long after we have passed the point at which healthcare capacity will not be breached by opening things up. Yet despite that, once we reach that point, open up we should. Lockdowns, social distancing and border closures are 'failure' policies, last-ditch interventions when nothing else works. They have more in common with curfews, martial law and declaring war than they do to standard policy interventions, and like curfews and wars they should last for as short a time as possible. However, what I see in the media is more and more people finding reasons to prolong them into the increasingly distant futures; 'there's a light at the end of the tunnel', but eg Devi Sridhar builds three more months of tunnel between every media appearance.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

As the Greater Oslo area is heading into full lockdown again, I’m starting to feel an unpleasantly urgent sense of claustrophobia and desperation creeping in. The realisation that we’re almost a year in, and we might be heading back to sqare one, is too much. I’m not normally one for hyperbole, but I’m not sure I can keep doing this much longer. The fatigue is getting very real. Going to the gym and the football are my outlets, my me-time. It might seem small, but I need it. I need some f***ing light in the end of this f***ing tunnel. 

Hang in there. Step by step we WILL get through this. 

3 minutes ago, trekka said:

Hang in there. Step by step we WILL get through this. 

Oh, I’m sure we will, but I’m getting increasingly frustrated and dumbfounded by our collective lack of ability to move past some of the most invasive measures available. Like I said, we’re almost a year in and back to square one. It really doesn’t do wonders for my faith in our ability to ‘get through this’. 

I think some of the problem is the way the last few weeks have gone.

Over Christmas we were told (in the UK) that the vaccine was the way out. Then we see really excellent roll out, boom! it’s happening!

Now we get a very somber press conference from the PM saying things are really bad, new variant more deadly and moving faster etc. Lifting of restrictions by Spring seems like a distant dream all of a sudden. It feels like a kick in the teeth. We were mentally preparing for a ramping down over the next 2-3 months, now, who knows...

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Well, it's getting closer. Our son-in-law has symptoms, and has had a positive test. Now our daughter (i.e. his wife) is feeling ill, and waiting for a result, which will surely be positive. We were looking after their baby last week. So we are now isolating. Feeling OK at the moment, but waiting with bated breath... 

Hope you are ok. Please keep us updated.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My 82 year old nan is recovering from it. She’s got a raft of health conditions and is overweight. She seems to be over the worst of it thankfully but says it was absolutely horrific. 
She keeps saying how lucky she is it didn’t kill her.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Michelsen said:

As the Greater Oslo area is heading into full lockdown again, I’m starting to feel an unpleasantly urgent sense of claustrophobia and desperation creeping in. The realisation that we’re almost a year in, and we might be heading back to sqare one, is too much. I’m not normally one for hyperbole, but I’m not sure I can keep doing this much longer. The fatigue is getting very real. Going to the gym and the football are my outlets, my me-time. It might seem small, but I need it. I need some f***ing light in the end of this f***ing tunnel. 

This. We're not even fully locked down (I'm playing football) and I'm living in a bigger space but I'm so tired of it all. 

17 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

This. We're not even fully locked down (I'm playing football) and I'm living in a bigger space but I'm so tired of it all. 

I started seeing somebody in December and we get on so well. We are stuck with just video calls and trying to date that way. It’s been lovely but we need to see each other. It’s so hard, she is a nurse, I’ve just had/have COVID, I’m still shielding, we are tier 4, it’s all crazy. We are getting frustrated with it all - and this is coming from me who had/has the thing (I don’t quite know as I feel shit but it’s now like a really bad cold) so maybe I’m over the worst.

Still want to see her 🙈 and we can’t. 

• Sad 4

I had a covid test yesterday in tamworth; thankfully it came back today as negative. Girlfriend had same test at the same place 3 hours earlier and is yet to hear. Guess i got lucky. 

I didn't realise the test staff were volunteers though.

I thanked them a lot. Costs nothing to be courteous. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â