Generic Virus Thread

villakram

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Big reduction in vaccinations over the last 24 hours but going by my earlier theory I am assuming this is because it's essentially Sundays numbers which you could understand being smaller and I think a few centres were closed by snow yesterday. 

Hopefully tomorrow's figures are a lot bigger. 

I think snow was a factor.

From my experience, if you book one of the Accor group of hotels, they already have a policy of room service only.

You can’t use the restaurants in Mercury / ibis / Novotel. You book in remotely, go to your room, order food via your own phone, it turns up wrapped and boxed.

Tea, coffee, toiletries etc., are all in a plastic bag, you get a new bag full on arrival. What you don’t use or nick is then binned.

The system is already there.

55 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

My mate who was very sick with it has come off oxygen now and the doctor says he should be able to go home in the next few days which is a massive relief.

Stories like this cheer me up greatly. It’s such a miserable time right now that any positivity is welcome. Delighted for him and you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not seen it mentioned in here already but today Boris said (so salt pinch needed) that when the UK hits it mid-Feb target for the first 15m vaccinations they’ll review potentially lifting some restrictions.

What do we think will be first? I doubt it’ll be schools. I’m thinking something smaller than that.

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

Not seen it mentioned in here already but today Boris said (so salt pinch needed) that when the UK hits it mid-Feb target for the first 15m vaccinations they’ll review potentially lifting some restrictions.

What do we think will be first? I doubt it’ll be schools. I’m thinking something smaller than that.

Restaurants offering early bird specials. There will be hordes of vaccinated over 80s who have been shielding for a year and will be desperate to get out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mozzavfc said:

Restaurants offering early bird specials. There will be hordes of vaccinated over 80s who have been shielding for a year and will be desperate to get out. 

3 courses for £5.50. 

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

Charity Shops are the best way of testing the vaccines efficacy as even the staff will have had it

• Haha 1

There's a huge storm brewing over the AZ/Oxford vaccine.

The German government have claimed it's only 8% efficacious in over 65s. Trial data had it as high as 94%

The EU are currently involved in a big argument with AZ about supply quotas.

Either the vaccine is pointless and basically doesn't work in over 65s (which would mean very low efficacy in under 65s too because there's not some magic cutoff at 65 years old) or the Germans are in deep trouble spreading misinformation which could cost lives.

7 hours ago, darrenm said:

The German government have claimed it's only 8% efficacious in over 65s. Trial data had it as high as 94%

Either the vaccine is pointless and basically doesn't work in over 65s (which would mean very low efficacy in under 65s too because there's not some magic cutoff at 65 years old) or the Germans are in deep trouble spreading misinformation which could cost lives.

The EU is losing its shit it seems. Mainly with supply of vaccines as they are getting short shipped by Pfizer and also OxfordAZ versus what they ordered.

It sounds like they are asking what has been made so far and where it’s gone and the drug companies aren’t telling them. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

The EU is losing its shit it seems. Mainly with supply of vaccines as they are getting short shipped by Pfizer and also OxfordAZ versus what they ordered.

It sounds like they are asking what has been made so far and where it’s gone and the drug companies aren’t telling them. 

I've got a feeling we have got far more vaccine than the EU.  Remember that story where Scotland were asked to pull some information from their website about vaccine supply because the Government felt it gave too much away and the drug companies might come under pressure to reduce our supplies.

I've a feeling we have had preferential treatment for our early certification. 

How would some random German politician have a clue how effective it is in over 65s, they haven't even got it certified yet. He wouldn't have any figures. 

Shenanigans I reckon. 

8 hours ago, darrenm said:

It's a farcical error in understanding. The 8% is simply the proportion of triallists who were over 65. 

• Like 1

It certainly seems incredibly unlikely that AstraZeneca would release a vaccine that is *completely useless*, as it would hardly pass without the world noticing.

I suspect this is a story of a German journalist who is either deeply stupid or deeply mendacious. Almost a relief to discover they have those in other countries as well.

On the supply issues for the EU and elsewhere (I think Australia have also been told that their AZ supply is going to be down on what they expected), I do hope that's not the start of something serious re: vaccine nationalism/protectionism.

Edited by snowychap
oooo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've got a feeling we have got far more vaccine than the EU.  Remember that story where Scotland were asked to pull some information from their website about vaccine supply because the Government felt it gave too much away and the drug companies might come under pressure to reduce our supplies.

I've a feeling we have had preferential treatment for our early certification. 

How would some random German politician have a clue how effective it is in over 65s, they haven't even got it certified yet. He wouldn't have any figures. 

Shenanigans I reckon. 

Reading between the lines that was my thought, and the EUs suspicion too.

They suspect shipments have gone to the UK in full but they are being told there’s not enough for them and they want them to explain themselves

Now they are trying to discredit it in some way. That’ll be fun when they try and put it into their people and someone secretly in their government said it doesn’t really work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Reading between the lines that was my thought, and the EUs suspicion too.

They suspect shipments have gone to the UK in full but they are being told there’s not enough for them and they want them to explain themselves

Now they are trying to discredit it in some way. That’ll be fun when they try and put it into their people and someone secretly in their government said it doesn’t really work.

If you want something, trying to discredit it, isn't going to get you what you want

Â