Generic Virus Thread

villakram

19 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

So, I have the dreaded Rona.

This could be bad if it affects my asthma. Right now I’m so tired and feel like I’m sat on the sun. It’s shit. I haven’t even been outside much - only for some bike rides away from people - but here it is, I have it. 

Get well soon, brother

16 hours ago, Genie said:

I thought it was a joke 

Out of interest what’s the difference between the 2 lines?

One is if you die for any reason within 28 days of a positive test.

The other is the total where covid was a contributing factor in the death. For example If you test positive for COVID but then struggle on for 6 weeks before dying you wouldn't be included in the daily govt figures.

As a slight aside what goes on a death certificate is often contentious - my dad was admitted to hospital with hear failure, because his heart was so weak he couldn't clear the fluid off his lungs and developed pneumonia. It was pneumonia that went on the death cert.

13 hours ago, Davkaus said:

That appears to be absolutely the case. The numbers aren't as close as I remembered them, but the counts two methodologies can be seen here:

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

89,243 deaths  where a clinician has recorded covid as the cause of death on the death certificate, but only 84,767 recorded in the daily number (any deaths within 28 days). Very few people indeed are dying of a car accident but being recorded as a covid death, and while people try to push that kind of narrative, it seems that the methodology used for the daily numbers underreports deaths rather than overreports them. 

What doesn't help is the unclear messaging by both the government and the media that there are these two numbers, plus the third number mentioned above, the 100k. And then there's the excess death number too. Each of these methodologies have their own benefits and drawbacks and need to be understood in the context of how they're calculated.

indeed only 8 people a day die in road traffic incidents in the UK. Even if they all had covid (highly unlikely) its not going to impact on the figures.  Much more likely IMO that someone survives longer than 28 days after a positive COVID test - then dies because of COVID. I would agree that the daily figures are much more likely to under report that over report.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Type 2.  I crash my car and suffer massive head injuries. As standard I get a COVID test. I am positive but I didn’t have any symptoms.  I die after the test because of my head injuries. 

I keep hearing the "someone died in a car crash and they put Covid on the death certificate" line from a relative.

Usually, fewer than 2000 people die in the UK annually as a result of a road accident. Even if they were all thrown in the Covid Pit, it doesn't account for many of the overall deaths.

16 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I keep hearing the "someone died in a car crash and they put Covid on the death certificate" line from a relative.

Usually, fewer than 2000 people die in the UK annually as a result of a road accident. Even if they were all thrown in the Covid Pit, it doesn't account for many of the overall deaths.

I was only giving this as an example to illustrate the difference between "death due to COVID" and "death following a positive test".   For the sake of the example I could have written " I am trampled by a herd of cows".  The point is that some people with COVID die from something completely unconnected but still appear in the statistics. 

• Like 1

Ah, it's almost like nobody is actually locked down, really, because a tonne of businesses have decided they're actually a key worker.

I've lost count of the number of people I've spoken to this week that are obviously in a packed office. When there's very little need to be.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Ah, it's almost like nobody is actually locked down, really, because a tonne of businesses have decided they're actually a key worker.

I've lost count of the number of people I've spoken to this week that are obviously in a packed office. When there's very little need to be.

That reminded me of something on the Marr show at the weekend. Hancock being his usual slimy self via video call saying that people need to stay home etc. He said he’d love to be in the studio with them as it makes for a better interview but it’s not the right thing at this point in time. Then, right after he finished they go to Starmer for his reaction... who is sat in the studio :lol: 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I was only giving this as an example to illustrate the difference between "death due to COVID" and "death following a positive test".   For the sake of the example I could have written " I am trampled by a herd of cows".  The point is that some people with COVID die from something completely unconnected but still appear in the statistics. 

People who have tested positive for Covid must be the unluckiest group of people around. Who'd have thought that there'd be so many of them killed in car accidents or trampled by a herd of cows?

Honestly the cop out of people using the "died less than 28 days after a positive Covid test" caveat to downplay the number of deaths is frustrating. Any other metric such as excess deaths, deaths with Covid on the death certificate etc. will paint exactly the same picture.

Its one of those lines that you see all over social media and people lap it up and use it to downplay how serious the virus is. I'd lump it in with the often peddled lines about number of people without underlying healthcare issues dying from Covid where anything you could possibly think of is listed as a previous healthcare issues.

I'd argue that using the tested positive within 28 days is more likely to make the figures lower than higher but I guess its difficult to prove.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

does say on the tweet that this was caused by service issues on the line, I was on the tube once at rush hour last week (not a key worker but occasionally required to travel to locations for things that can’t be done at home) and both the central and northern lines we’re empty enough to be social distancing ‘compliant’.

having said that i’m 100% sure there’s loads of people going in when they don’t need to because of their bosses or of their own volition.

Edited by a m ole

2 hours ago, MCU said:

New cases is down AGAIN today btw.

Where did you get this from? I can't find any figures for today yet for some reason.  They are supposed to be out at 4.00

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Where did you get this from? I can't find any figures for today yet for some reason.  They are supposed to be out at 4.00

I was just looking at struggled to find anything 

Edited by Genie

Now on the BBC.  That's a small increase on yesterday but a decrease compared with last Thursday. 

UK reports 48,682 further Covid cases

By this point in the day we would normally expect to have heard the UK's daily coronavirus figures - on new cases, deaths, hospital admissions and vaccinations.

However, the latest update has been delayed due to an "issue with the processing of deaths data", the government dashboard says.

Public Health England has therefore published data on the new confirmed cases of the virus in the UK itself - today's figure is 48,682.

That's up on yesterday's figure of 47,525.

The seven-day average for daily new cases was, as of yesterday, 53,539.

Edited by trekka

3 hours ago, MCU said:

New cases is down AGAIN today btw.

32 minutes ago, trekka said:

So that's actually the second day of increased cases, albeit lower than the last couple of weeks.  

48,682 today

47,525 yesterday 

46,169 Tuesday. 

So new cases are trending upwards again. 

No news on deaths today but you can bet its another record but should start to come down soon. 

Â