Generic Virus Thread

villakram

4 hours ago, Genie said:

I said it before, the development, approval and now roll out of the vaccine has so far been excellent. 
I can’t think of many, of indeed any other elements of the pandemic that government have handled well but I suppose credit where it’s due.

Didn’t you say that the vaccination program was down to the NHS and I couldn’t blame the govt if it was a disaster? Therefore why should I give them credit if it’s going well? 😛

But in all seriousness, of course I’m very glad if it is!

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Didn’t you say that the vaccination program was down to the NHS and I couldn’t blame the govt if it was a disaster? Therefore why should I give them credit if it’s going well? 😛

But in all seriousness, of course I’m very glad if it is!

I don’t think I did to be honest, could be someone else.

Obviously NHS playing a big part in this too and deserve credit. 

On 14/01/2021 at 14:33, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I was only giving this as an example to illustrate the difference between "death due to COVID" and "death following a positive test".   For the sake of the example I could have written " I am trampled by a herd of cows".  The point is that some people with COVID die from something completely unconnected but still appear in the statistics. 

Sorry - I understood that, but hadn't made it clear that I understood that. Was just using your post as a springboard into my moan.

• Like 1

Is anyone else finding this lockdown much more difficult than the first? I'm less stressed (I think) due to team members at work no longer phoning me up crying daily (they are coping much better now) and I have daily chats with friends and family.  I'm just finding myself having a lack of motivation to get on with things.  I know it will get better as we go through this very long tunnel and I feel for those who are stuck by themselves with nobody to talk to.  Let's stick together folks - we will get through this. 

• Like 3

In a relatively positive post,  Sky News have put a finger in the air and reckon that potentially we could all be vaccinated by mid-July.

For a few hours this week, we were given an insight into the closely-guarded secret at the centre of the UK's vaccination programme.

It came courtesy of the Scottish government, which published its vaccination plan on Wednesday.

It seems there are problems with supply of the Pfizer vaccine. They claim they have changed manufacturing processes which has halved supplies till mid March and then they will be able to supply more.  

I mean that's suspicious isn't it. 

1) why would you do that now when it's generally accepted by everyone that getting the first dose into people ASAP is the most important thing and

2) why would you change your product resulting in a big dip in supply without consulting your customers first? 

Something ain't right. 

Edited by sidcow

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It seems there are problems with supply of the Pfizer vaccine. They claim they have changed manufacturing processes which has halved supplies till mid March and then they will be able to supply more.  

I mean that's suspicious isn't it. 

1) why would you do that now when it's generally accepted by everyone that getting the first dose into people ASAP is the most important thing and

2) why would you change your product resulting in a big dip in supply without consulting your customers first? 

Something ain't right. 

In a statement on Friday, the drugmaker said shipments were being affected by changes to its manufacturing processes designed to boost production.

"Although this will temporarily impact shipments in late January to early February, it will provide a significant increase in doses available for patients in late February and March," Pfizer said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55666399

Lots of the EU countries impacted by this, not sure about the UK.

Edited by Genie

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

1) why would you do that now

Money. It costs $20 per dose and by closing they are increasing production from 1.3 billion doses to 2 billion this year. that's an extra 14,000,000,000 in the pocket for Pfizer.  

Edited by villa89
  • Shocked 1

What do people reckon my chances of going go Florida in late May are?

We got an amazing deal but still not sure if we’ll get to go. We don’t have to pay the balance until 3 weeks before we go and we’re free to move our deposit to anything else if we change our mind (British Airways holidays).

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

What do people reckon my chances of going go Florida in late May are?

We got an amazing deal but still not sure if we’ll get to go. We don’t have to pay the balance until 3 weeks before we go and we’re free to move our deposit to anything else if we change our mind (British Airways holidays).

Slim to dodgy.

• Like 2

I reckon by LATE May travel will be opened up if you can prove you've had a vaccine, or if you can take a test that shows negative. But it may more depend on where USA are with their vaccination program. 

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I reckon by LATE May travel will be opened up if you can prove you've had a vaccine, or if you can take a test that shows negative. But it may more depend on where USA are with their vaccination program. 

USA seem to going well so far, and Biden is promising a big ramp up once he’s in place. 100 million vaccinated in his first 100 days is what he’s planning.

F52-D6683-F416-4501-9-B3-F-AF65-EAEF947-

Hopefully by then we’ll be able to pay for a vaccine if we’re not on the list for a free NHS one. 

Edited by Genie

I'm meant to be going to Turkey in June (much-delayed 40th birthday celebrations, given that we couldn't go to Malta last year).  Even for then I'm not confident it'll go ahead.  

Edited by trekka

2 minutes ago, trekka said:

I'm meant to be going to Turkey in June (much-delayed 40th birthday celebrations, given that we couldn't go to Malta last year).  Even for then I'm not confident it'll go ahead.  

Turkey going at it big style too. From the same BBC link above

Elsewhere in the world, Turkey said it had vaccinated half a million people in two days with vaccines developed by China's Sinovac Biotech.

The figures suggest Turkey vaccinated more people on the first day of its roll-out than France did in almost three weeks.

Edited by Genie

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Turkey going at it big style too. From the same BBC link above

Ah, the vaccine that is apparently only just over 50% effective.   Still, good on them for ramping it up. 

Edited by trekka

17 minutes ago, trekka said:

Ah, the vaccine that is apparently only just over 50% effective.   Still, good on them for ramping it up. 

How effective is the Oxford vaccine most of us will be getting?

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

How effective is the Oxford vaccine most of us will be getting?

I've had a quick look (BMJ):

In the case of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, PHE said, “High protection against hospitalisation was seen from 21 days after dose one until two weeks after the second dose, suggesting that a single dose will provide high short term protection against severe disease . . . An exploratory analysis of participants who had received one standard dose of the vaccine suggested that efficacy against symptomatic covid-19 was 73% (95% CI 48.79-85.76%).”

• Like 1

Â