Generic Virus Thread

villakram

47 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

That's a bold statement. 

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

You can say that again

It needs saying.  All that scaremongering leading to people convincing themselves and others it was dangerous with zero, absolutely zero evidence or data to reach that conclusion other than the mumblings of imbeciles on social media.

Edit:

From the article linked in the above tweet:

Alroy-Preis stressed that the data wasn’t enough to conclude that the vaccine prevents transmission of the virus altogether, since it is believed that one can spread the virus to others for a limited amount of time if it is located in their nasal cavity, even if it hasn’t infected the body to a level that would yield a positive test result.

Edited by snowychap

Scotland tightens lockdown with more restrictions on Click and Collect and Takeaways from Saturday

Click and collect will be essentials" only and Takeaways can't let people into the shop, must be done from a hatch to the outside world.

What time will this be announced for England, 4PM?

45 minutes ago, bickster said:

Scotland tightens lockdown with more restrictions on Click and Collect and Takeaways from Saturday

Click and collect will be essentials" only and Takeaways can't let people into the shop, must be done from a hatch to the outside world.

What time will this be announced for England, 4PM?

4pm, on Friday (after saying for 48 hours they won’t be doing it).

Edited by Genie

3 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

So, I have the dreaded Rona.

This could be bad if it affects my asthma. Right now I’m so tired and feel like I’m sat on the sun. It’s shit. I haven’t even been outside much - only for some bike rides away from people - but here it is, I have it. 

Get well soon Den. 

3 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

This could be bad if it affects my asthma. Right now I’m so tired and feel like I’m sat on the sun. It’s shit. I haven’t even been outside much - only for some bike rides away from people - but here it is, I have it. 

Sorry to hear it mate. Get well soon.

5 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

You live by yourself ? 

18 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

I wish you a speedy recovery mate. 

44 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Speedy recovery mate

20 hours ago, Enda said:

A hugely underappreciated aspect of the spread of COVID is how Trump's unprovoked attacks on China made them less cooperative with the west.

The Chinese should have done more. But they would have, had Trump not repeatedly accused them of being "currency manipulators", or "raping this country",  and so on.

The Chinese were completely open with all their data (medical/drugs/genetics) during the initial outbreak. The subsequent effort to hide things was CCP 101 modus operandi and was only kicking into high gear when this thread was opened. 

It's a genuine 1 in a hundred year type of event. The human goings on at macroscopic level are irrelevant to a microscopic aerosol transmitted virus. Pick a time in history and dump this on them. Those in the seat of power will get the blame, now how much truth is in that. This is far from clear.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Can someone explain to me how the vaccine works?

Phitzer/Moderna and co. claim to be 90/95% effective.

Is that;

a)95% chance I won't get the virus

b)95% chance if I get the virus I won't be ill and won't show symptoms

c)95% chance once I get the virus I won't spread it and won't be ill but I'll still be a carrier

d)95% chance I won't die once I get ill

This is actually an important issue because I haven't yet read what is it that it affects, 90/95% of the time.

~95% chance you will not get the virus. I suspect the actual number will be a little lower in a peak outbreak scenario versus the contagious environment in which the trials were carried out. 

~100% chance you will not get seriously ill - i.e., no ICU for you. this may change as the numbers with the vaccine grow, i.e., 99.6% or something. We'll see. 

It is unclear regarding transmission but the initial data suggests the vaccine does at a minimum damp transmission. Solid data will emerge over coming months.

Long term, nobody knows.

28 minutes ago, villakram said:

The Chinese were completely open with all their data (medical/drugs/genetics) during the initial outbreak 

Errrr. How do you know this? 

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Errrr. How do you know this? 

Because it was all being published, genetic sequence, the initial medicines the tried, the age profile risk curve. All this info was known when it hit Europe proper in March and was coming out day by day at the time this thread was opened

Remember, there is now evidence of this virus in both the US and Europe in at least Nov/Dec 2019. The genie was well and truly out of the bottle, unbeknownst to us all, when the lockdowns were starting in China. When this is all said and done, the actual analysis of how the outbreak proceeded and if there were in fact avenues to choke this off early on will be interesting. My thinking is that this will come back to having a better/global integrated surveillance system, but with a condition like this that effects the majority of people at such a low level, who knows how to stop an outbreak.

Of course, there's also the human malfeasance angle right at the beginning and it's unclear if we'll ever know about that, given how the Chinese are currently behaving/cooperating with investigating agencies.   

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

1,564 deaths today in the UK.

And new cases higher than the last 2 days (bucking what they were saying is a reducing trend) although still lower than all other days in the last 2 weeks. 

Hopefully the death toll will start to reduce correspondingly. I guess current deaths are reflecting the infection numbers from 1 - 2 weeks ago. 

34 minutes ago, villakram said:

Because it was all being published, genetic sequence, the initial medicines the tried, the age profile risk curve. All this info was known when it hit Europe proper in March and was coming out day by day at the time this thread was opened

Remember, there is now evidence of this virus in both the US and Europe in at least Nov/Dec 2019. The genie was well and truly out of the bottle, unbeknownst to us all, when the lockdowns were starting in China. When this is all said and done, the actual analysis of how the outbreak proceeded and if there were in fact avenues to choke this off early on will be interesting. My thinking is that this will come back to having a better/global integrated surveillance system, but with a condition like this that effects the majority of people at such a low level, who knows how to stop an outbreak.

Of course, there's also the human malfeasance angle right at the beginning and it's unclear if we'll ever know about that, given how the Chinese are currently behaving/cooperating with investigating agencies.   

But were still rely on China actually disclosing everything.  There could be all sorts of information they haven't made available. 

Â