Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I said it before, the development, approval and now roll out of the vaccine has so far been excellent. 
I can’t think of many, of indeed any other elements of the pandemic that government have handled well but I suppose credit where it’s due.

It sounds like a lot of countries are struggling.  Certainly the USA doesn't seem to know how to get it out. 

We are so lucky to have the NHS. sometimes it creaks and groans but it really is goldust in this crisis to have one national public organisation who are solely dedicated to the nations health. 

• Like 3

316,000 vaccinations just today (last 24 hours) 

Still so many centres yet to open up.  They're definitely going to get 2m pw. 

Interesting news story yesterday that the Government asked Scotchland to take some information down from their website which indicated how many doses were getting from manufacturers at the moment. They asked for it to be taken down because other countries might see it and ask why they are getting fewer vaccines and pressure manufacturers to give them more and us less. 

Anyway, this suggests we are getting more vaccines than other countries so we definitely seem to be on the ball with this. 

Not sure if it's because we were the first to certify so got ahead of the queue or because Oxford developed it so we have priority. 

Anyway in this respect we seem fortunate. 

23 minutes ago, sidcow said:

We are so lucky to have the NHS. sometimes it creaks and groans but it really is goldust in this crisis to have one national public organisation who are solely dedicated to the nations health.

Sorry, which country do you live in? One National Public organisation? That certainly isn't the UK

The NHS is a network of competing trusts now, getting taken over when they fail. My missus will soon be working for her third trust in 5 years and she hasn't changed her job once apart from a minor promotion in the same team

• Like 1

Germany makes interesting reading. Their Covid deaths have been tracking ours very closely for the last week or so, hardly anything in it, but their confirmed cases are significantly lower and have been for 2 plus weeks. 

Does this just mean they are testing less, or for some reason it's a lot more deadly in Germany? 

On 27/01/2020 at 09:34, bannedfromHandV said:

It's a welcome distraction from the Trump impeachment / Prince Andrew-gate / Boris bulldozing his way through Brexit / French national unrest / etc etc etc

Governments and the media will make sure we all fear this, even though it will not impact any one of us particularly adversely.

This aged as well as my hairline.

I did not see it coming, at all.

• Haha 4

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

This aged as well as my hairline.

I did not see it coming, at all.

I remember leaving the office last March and thinking "2 week quarantine period, 2 weeks for the infected to be identified, so one month of lockdown and we'll be back in again" 

I don't think anyone except maybe top disease experts expected things to be this long/bad. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

It sounds like a lot of countries are struggling.  Certainly the USA doesn't seem to know how to get it out. 

We'll get out of it the same way you lot and every one else is.

Your shirt is dirtier than the US shirt right now, but arguing over shirt dirtiness is sad.

6 minutes ago, villakram said:

We'll get out of it the same way you lot and every one else is.

Your shirt is dirtier than the US shirt right now, but arguing over shirt dirtiness is sad.

Yeah, all I'm doing is getting into a dick waving contest. 

20 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I remember leaving the office last March and thinking "2 week quarantine period, 2 weeks for the infected to be identified, so one month of lockdown and we'll be back in again" 

I don't think anyone except maybe top disease experts expected things to be this long/bad. 

I think they also didn't anticipate it lasting this long, since they probably expected those in authority to have listened to them much sooner.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I don't know what trends you are seeing but I'm certainly not seeing anything that suggests transmission wasn't and wouldn't take place in schools were they open fully.

I didn’t say wouldn’t take place, I said unlikely to be a major contributor to the numbers.

1 hour ago, limpid said:

Schools are still open. The primaries around here are at 60% normal attendance. Everyone is a key worker now.

I’m not sure what the occupancy is of the schools near here. I certainly agree with the key worker bit, but then that’s the Government not defining what constitutes a key worker. 
They were closed for 2 weeks, then at partial capacity for 2 weeks and numbers still going up.

It would be higher for sure if they were open, but (partially) closing them hasn’t really proved to be a silver bullet to get the numbers down.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

It would be higher for sure if they were open, but (partially) closing them hasn’t really proved to be a silver bullet to get the numbers down.

Agreed, but the "closure" was probably too late to make any difference.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Anyone who believed the likes of Boris and Trump about it all going away within weeks simply wasn't paying attention. As early as March or April Whitty was warning us that until there was mass adoption of a vaccine, extensive social distancing measures would be required. It was politicians telling us it'd be over in weeks, not anyone who knows what they're talking about.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Anyone who believed the likes of Boris and Trump about it all going away within weeks simply wasn't paying attention. As early as March or April Whitty was warning us that until there was mass adoption of a vaccine, extensive social distancing measures would be required. It was politicians telling us it'd be over in weeks, not anyone who knows what they're talking about.

Err.  No, it was my maths that made me think a month. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Err.  No, it was my maths that made me think a month. 

Your maths based on what politicians told you. I mean, congrats on working out 2+2, but if the numbers you're working with come from politicians rather than scientists, you're gonna have a bad time. 

Just now, Davkaus said:

Your maths based on what politicians told you. I mean, congrats on working out 2+2, but if the numbers you're working with come from politicians rather than scientists, you're gonna have a bad time. 

Yeah, OK.  I just thought what Boris told me.  Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways. 

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, OK.  I just thought what Boris told me.  Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways. 

My last post was unnecessarily snarky and I apologise; I've had a shit day and it was a dick move.

Honestly though, in an ideal world, yeah, you should trust the PM. But this one has been blatantly full of shit on pretty much every topic. For his entire career. Whitty told us during the first lockdown that we'd need vaccination, and that this would last for a significant period of time, but people preferred to listen to the eton clown who gave them nicer news. 

Â