Generic Virus Thread

villakram

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

What is the basis for this assumption?

The Pfizer Vaccine takes 12 weeks to reach its maximum effectiveness after the first jab and around that time you'll be getting a second jab which takes another 12 weeks... that is almost 6 months for the 90 year olds that are currently getting it.

Strap in for the long haul, one month isn't going to sort this out "dramatically"

*Any* effectiveness from the vaccine will start having an effect on the figures though. I don't think the crisis is going to be over in a month, but deaths probably will decline fairly substantially in roughly that time frame. We're already starting to see the turn in daily case numbers, and in London & SE in hospitalisations too.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Zackly. I don't agree about the twitter part, mind - you're right more informative stuff is on there, but only if you follow the right people etc. It's also full of complete idiocy and denial etc.

Been saying for a while that blaming journo's and presenters for lack of detailed understanding isn't all their fault - they're spread too thinly and across too many "stories" and being encouraged to use social media to get people to come to the BBC - there's too much wanting to be immediate and not enough wanting to be authoritative and correct, or TL:DR - they've dumbed down.

Yep, by twitter, I didn’t mean CockneyClive77463 with a little union flag emoji, or even newspaper click bait, I meant the actual source, Welsh Govt account, or Vale of Glamorgan, NHS, all that schizz.

• Like 2

Just wonder what everyone's thoughts are on my situation atm. I'm buying my first home atm and I'm getting the keys next Friday. After having some absolutely ridiculous house moving quotes I today reserved a van with a view to asking a couple of mates/family members to help me. 

I've just been chatting to my mom and she mentioned the restrictions, and the fact that I'm probably not allowed to have a couple of mates over.

House removal companies are allowed to work, so what about people wanting to do it themselves? 

2 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I think it hasn't helped, no.  Neither has having a government that is more concerned about what's trending on Twitter than what's necessary in the real world.

A hugely underappreciated aspect of the spread of COVID is how Trump's unprovoked attacks on China made them less cooperative with the west.

The Chinese should have done more. But they would have, had Trump not repeatedly accused them of being "currency manipulators", or "raping this country",  and so on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, av1 said:

Just wonder what everyone's thoughts are on my situation atm. I'm buying my first home atm and I'm getting the keys next Friday. After having some absolutely ridiculous house moving quotes I today reserved a van with a view to asking a couple of mates/family members to help me. 

I've just been chatting to my mom and she mentioned the restrictions, and the fact that I'm probably not allowed to have a couple of mates over.

House removal companies are allowed to work, so what about people wanting to do it themselves? 

It’ll be one of those stupid rules. You can have strangers with you all day but family members aren’t allowed to help.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’ll be one of those stupid rules. You can have strangers with you all day but family members aren’t allowed to help.

The funny thing is, 1 of my mates that I was planning on asking is also a work colleague. It would seem particularly stupid if I was allowed to work with the lad Mon-fri but he couldn't help me out a Saturday. 

10 minutes ago, av1 said:

I don't think there's anything specific in the laws that were rushed in which addresses this so they're more guidelines than actual rules.

There has to be reasonable exceptions. If tradespeople are allowed to do it, then if you're paying(..) someone to help you move, it's materially the same.

Wear masks when close, minimise contact and maximise distance. Don't hug them. You're obviously moving house and obviously not having a party so the police won't care. Maybe all wear hi-vis vests. No-one ever questions someone in a hi-vis.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, av1 said:

Hoping I'll be in the same situation as you very soon, still waiting for a date but think it's close now. Anyway here is the government advise.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/government-advice-on-home-moving-during-the-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak

If removal firms are unavailable, another household can help you move your belongings, but social distancing guidelines and hygiene measures should be followed where possible.

2 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Hoping I'll be in the same situation as you very soon, still waiting for a date but think it's close now. Anyway here is the government advise.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/government-advice-on-home-moving-during-the-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak

Thanks mate. Good luck with your move. 

I guess the one thing to take from that is the word 'unavailble' there are plenty available, they are just too bloody expensive 😋

17 minutes ago, av1 said:

Thanks mate. Good luck with your move. 

I guess the one thing to take from that is the word 'unavailble' there are plenty available, they are just too bloody expensive 😋

Then they are financially unavailable to you.

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Then they are financially unavailable to you.

Fair point. 

I have, and continue to take this virus very seriously, so I'm not looking for loopholes to try and break the restrictions, but I don't have over a grand to pay someone to do something I can do myself. 

46 minutes ago, Enda said:

A hugely underappreciated aspect of the spread of COVID is how Trump's unprovoked attacks on China made them less cooperative with the west.

The Chinese should have done more. But they would have, had Trump not repeatedly accused them of being "currency manipulators", or "raping this country",  and so on.

I’d question ‘unprovoked’ and I’d question if it impacted the speed of their reactions.

Don’t get me wrong, Trump and his style is abhorrent, but we do have problems with China.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

So, I can meet my mate if I pay him a fiver to hold a coffee table?

If your mate only charges a fiver can you PM me his number? I've got some work for the lad next week 😋

1 minute ago, av1 said:

If your mate only charges a fiver can you PM me his number? I've got some work for the lad next week 😋

Good luck with the move and in the very very unlikely event of the police saying hi, just remember to be calm and co-operative and show them the link to the advice on your phone before they’ve painted themselves in to a corner.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Good luck with the move and in the very very unlikely event of the police saying hi, just remember to be calm and co-operative and show them the link to the advice on your phone before they’ve painted themselves in to a corner.

What kind of namby pamby bollocks is this?

Tell the filth they're wrong, they don't know the law, record them, and remember to ask if you're being detained. They don't like it up 'em. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, trekka said:

Support bubbles to remain, he said last night.  Now go watch this evening them introduce travel limits (including bubbles).  It'll be interesting what Priti Patel has to say this evening. 

I hope they don’t add limits to support bubbles. My girlfriend lives about 15 mile away. 

However, I wouldn’t be against adding limits to how far you go to exercise, that makes sense 

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

So, I can meet my mate if I pay him a fiver to hold a coffee table?

That was the stupid thing about the first lockdown. You couldn't see your mom unless you paid her to be a childminder.

• Like 1

Some modelling has been done on if the gov does do 2m vaccines a week (which is looking very likely). It's looking like after the next couple of weeks are over, deaths will start dropping off sharply.

Screenshot_20210112-203608.thumb.png.ac16297cf9c31dcac01ffe773d6555a0.png

• Like 2

Â