Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Ethnic minority groups are rejecting the vaccine because of fake news circulating that it contains pork.

Fake news is likely to be causing people from ethnic minorities to reject the Covid vaccine, a doctor has warned.

Dr Harpreet Sood, who is leading an NHS anti-disinformation campaign, said it was "a big concern" and officials were working hard to reach different groups "to correct so much fake news". 

He said language and cultural barriers played a part in the false information.

A GP in the West Midlands told the BBC some of her South Asian patients had refused the vaccine when offered it.

Influencers

Dr Sood, from NHS England, said officials were working with South Asian role models, influencers, community leaders and religious leaders to help debunk myths about the vaccine.

Much of the disinformation surrounds the contents of the vaccine.

He said: "We need to be clear and make people realise there is no meat in the vaccine, there is no pork in the vaccine, it has been accepted and endorsed by all the religious leaders and councils and faith communities."

Link

• Shocked 1

This is brilliant and might be one of the only true success stories that this government has had

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-01-15/so-far-so-good-covid-vaccine-rollout-on-track-to-achieve-mid-february-target-shapps-says

England is on course to achieve its target of vaccinating the four groups most vulnerable to coronavirus by mid-February, the transport secretary has said, providing a glimmer of hope that some restrictions could be eased next month.

Speaking to ITV News, Grant Shapps said the vaccine rollout is "making good progress" toward the aim of offered jabs to the 13.9 million people considered England's most vulnerable by February 15.

"So far so good," he said. "We've vaccinated three million people with their first jabs, that's more than France, Germany, Spain, Italy, combined."

With a month remaining, the minister said the government is "quietly confident" it will achieve its goal.

"All being well, it looks like we will get to those first four categories - that represents 88% of those people who would otherwise die from coronavirus."

I think teachers should probably be bumped up the priority list a bit, and if the supply keeps up and resource is available, then 24 hour centres should do walk ins* for everyone not on the priority list.

*may need to be slot based to avoid mile long queues at 8pm

11 minutes ago, darrenm said:

This is brilliant and might be one of the only true success stories that this government has had

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-01-15/so-far-so-good-covid-vaccine-rollout-on-track-to-achieve-mid-february-target-shapps-says

I think teachers should probably be bumped up the priority list a bit, and if the supply keeps up and resource is available, then 24 hour centres should do walk ins* for everyone not on the priority list.

*may need to be slot based to avoid mile long queues at 8pm

Has anyone checked the stats though. It's my immediate thought when a Govt Minister says anything, let alone Grant Schapps

My crumblies are both booked in for Sunday AM.  Only my Dad actually qualifies at the moment but persuaded them to get my mum done at the same time.  It appears there is a little sensible thinking going on.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

I said it before, the development, approval and now roll out of the vaccine has so far been excellent. 
I can’t think of many, of indeed any other elements of the pandemic that government have handled well but I suppose credit where it’s due.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, trekka said:

55,761 new cases reported today.  The cases are down on last Friday but I wouldn't expect a huge drop in cases any time soon. 

It’s kind of ruling out schools being a major contributor to the numbers considering they’ve been shut for a month. 

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s kind of ruling out schools being a major contributor to the numbers considering they’ve been shut for a month. 

It isn't, it could actually be much higher if they were open for one and there are an awful lot of children still in school. There's no way of knowing right now.

Schools could have contributed heavily up to Xmas and by that time it was so widespread that it doesn't matter.

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

It isn't, it could actually be much higher if they were open for one and there are an awful lot of children still in school. There's no way of knowing right now.

Schools could have contributed heavily up to Xmas and by that time it was so widespread that it doesn't matter.

Agreed.  Even if schools didn't contribute heavily before Christmas, a lot of them opened up just for one day after Christmas creating one mass spreader event following the get-together (have yourself a "merry little Christmas" he said). 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bickster said:

It “could” be theoretically, but it seems unlikely given the trends.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Schools are still open. The primaries around here are at 60% normal attendance. Everyone is a key worker now.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Genie said:

It “could” be theoretically, but it seems unlikely given the trends.

No it really doesn't look unlikely, for instance the effects of the superspreader event known as Liverpool vs Athletico Madrid went on and could be seen for a good couple of months. It's widely believed this was the event that kept the Liverpool region so high in the infections through the first lockdown.

I don't know what trends you are seeing but I'm certainly not seeing anything that suggests transmission wasn't and wouldn't take place in schools were they open fully.

Â