Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Between 49% and 86% would make it interesting to know if there was a particular ‘type’ of person that was getting the 49% end of the scale. Should they be told they are potentially at that level until their delayed second dose?

(Not being sceptical about vaccines, just interested that it’s not a figure I’m seeing discussed in the media very much)

32 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Between 49% and 86% would make it interesting to know if there was a particular ‘type’ of person that was getting the 49% end of the scale. Should they be told they are potentially at that level until their delayed second dose?

I'm pretty sure that meta analyses of flu vaccines show 40%-60% efficacy. They would almost certainly be more effective with a second dose, but that's enough to keep the r number under control and stop the hospitals getting overwhelmed in most flu seasons.

Of course, if people keep wearing masks (when symptomatic), social distancing (when symptomatic) and washing their **** hands, we might not need to use a flu vaccine every year.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

(Not being sceptical about vaccines, just interested that it’s not a figure I’m seeing discussed in the media very much)

The other interesting fact is that I’ve seen several posts where people are rejecting the (much higher rated) Pfizer vaccine because they want the British one. 

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

The other interesting fact is that I’ve seen several posts where people are rejecting the (much higher rated) Pfizer vaccine because they want the British one. 

5fc0d9092900004880c6cb65.jpeg?ops=1200_6

british-bulldog-andrew-farley.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Genie said:

Definitely true and even more shockingly there are many NHS staff that have been holding out for the Oxford one, which is how my missus got her vaccine early, there's even talk they may be offering it to "family of" staff soon as they will still have a surplus

My boss and her partner were in the Oxford trial, my boss didn't get the vaccine but her partner did. Boss caught Covid, her partner didn't. That would be enough for me if I hadn't already had the Pfizer vaccine.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Genie said:

These people are not in my bubble.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, V01 said:

My boss and her partner were in the Oxford trial, my boss didn't get the vaccine but her partner did. Boss caught Covid, her partner didn't. That would be enough for me if I hadn't already had the Pfizer vaccine.

I was thinking how sad it would be to take part in the trials, have the placebo then get Covid and die. Life gone on the toss of a coin. 

14 hours ago, trekka said:

Is anyone else finding this lockdown much more difficult than the first? 

Yep. I think its a mix of lockdown x January blues. 

This is always a traditionally tough time of the year but chuck a lockdown into the mix and its amplified. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Homeopathy has been sadly quiet during covid.

You’d have thought we could dunk one person that’s tested positive with covid in a reservoir somewhere, and we’d all be fine.

Traditional Chinese medicine didn't seem to contain it very well either. 

Shame really, if there were enough Rhino Horns and Pangolin scales around Covid would probably not have got out of Wuhan. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Genie said:

What do people reckon my chances of going go Florida in late May are?

We got an amazing deal but still not sure if we’ll get to go. We don’t have to pay the balance until 3 weeks before we go and we’re free to move our deposit to anything else if we change our mind (British Airways holidays).

I'd say pretty good.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Is it still a thing that smokers are disproportionately affected by COVID?

I know it was a bit of a trend early on but nothing mentioned of it since.

The opposite was true early on wasn't it? There were even hospitals (in France possibly) that were treating people with nicotine patches as an experiment

4 hours ago, Genie said:

What do people reckon my chances of going go Florida in late May are?

We got an amazing deal but still not sure if we’ll get to go. We don’t have to pay the balance until 3 weeks before we go and we’re free to move our deposit to anything else if we change our mind (British Airways holidays).

I'm going in August, delayed from August last year and I am not holding out much hope.

36 minutes ago, darrenm said:

In fact, I'm looking at booking a holiday for the summer while it's not too expensive. There will be a huge rush in February when restrictions start being relaxed.

I was looking at flights to Asia in late 2021 and there are some bargains. Even in business class, roughly 35%-40% of 'normal' prices. Tempting. 

Â