Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 hours ago, av1 said:

Just wonder what everyone's thoughts are on my situation atm. I'm buying my first home atm and I'm getting the keys next Friday. After having some absolutely ridiculous house moving quotes I today reserved a van with a view to asking a couple of mates/family members to help me. 

I've just been chatting to my mom and she mentioned the restrictions, and the fact that I'm probably not allowed to have a couple of mates over.

House removal companies are allowed to work, so what about people wanting to do it themselves? 

Pay them.

43 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Some modelling has been done on if the gov does do 2m vaccines a week (which is looking very likely). It's looking like after the next couple of weeks are over, deaths will start dropping off sharply.

Given that the current daily deaths figure was 1243, the forecast according to that graph would suggest that deaths will start to drop off more sharply from now than they will from two weeks hence.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Given that the current daily deaths figure was 1243, the forecast according to that graph would suggest that deaths will start to drop off more sharply from now than they will from two weeks hence.

Possibly. It looks like deaths have already started going down even though today's is high due to reporting lagging.

33 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Crikey, it's even more effective than we thought, they were right not to bother with the second dose

2 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Has there ever been a stupider cabinet minister? Just making coherent sounds with her mouth seems to be outside her skill-set.

Jeez are you really inviting us to list all the horses in this race?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Has there ever been a stupider cabinet minister? Just making coherent sounds with her mouth seems to be outside her skill-set.

My favourite bit was when she changed the JCVI into JVCI and it sounded like Ali G was buying a stereo.

Can someone explain to me how the vaccine works?

Phitzer/Moderna and co. claim to be 90/95% effective.

Is that;

a)95% chance I won't get the virus

b)95% chance if I get the virus I won't be ill and won't show symptoms

c)95% chance once I get the virus I won't spread it and won't be ill but I'll still be a carrier

d)95% chance I won't die once I get ill

This is actually an important issue because I haven't yet read what is it that it affects, 90/95% of the time.

29 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Is that;

c)95% chance once I get the virus I won't spread it and won't be ill but I'll still be a carrier

This is actually an important issue because I haven't yet read what is it that it affects, 90/95% of the time.

I believe it is b) 

It's not yet shown if it stops the spread though. You might still be an asymptomatic carrier (for a period at least whilst your immune system ramps up to fight it off). There is not enough knowledge about that from the trials.  

There is a debate going on in Australia about whether to roll out the 60% effective Oxford vaccine or wait to get enough doses of the 95% effective Pfizar vaccine (which is more expensive and harder to transport).

The consensus there seems to be that the Oxford one prevents the deaths even if it only prevents 60% of people getting sick so it's still worthwhile. 

The nation's top health officer has rejected calls to pause the rollout of the AstraZeneca vaccine and declared it to be "100 per cent" effective in preventing death from COVID-19, despite claims it would not be as effective as the Pfizer alternative in preventing coronavirus infection.

Commonwealth Chief Medical Officer Paul Kelly said the Pfizer vaccine was likely to be distributed first but stood by plans to rely on the AstraZeneca product to shield most Australians from the coronavirus.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/chief-medical-officer-rejects-call-to-pause-astrazeneca-vaccine-rollout-20210113-p56tqf.html

Edited by LondonLax

29 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Is that;

When they do the trials they give half the people the vaccine and half a placebo. The effectiveness is calculated by the amount of people who got the virus after having the vaccine versus the amount who got it after taking the placebo. 
If 5 got the virus after having the vaccine and 100 got the virus after taking a placebo it would be calculated as 95% effective (I believe). 
The other important bit of information from the trials is that of the people that still get it after taking a vaccine none were seriously ill.

Soooooooo, exactly how many people have got seriously ill/died/become catatonic/grown extra toes/experienced increased advertising from Microsoft since 2m+ people have been vaccinated? 

The original human test cases were done a year ago now, how many long term issues have been identified? 

Â