Generic Virus Thread

villakram

22 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

It’s not tracking your every move 24 hours a day. That’s the reason why you check into a venue. You check in and it finds other devices in the area that have also checked into that venue while you were there.

If anything going to the old pen and paper method is worse because you could have been sat in a completely different area of the pub to the person in question and never got within 20m of them. Just being in there is enough to get you to isolate.

I agree it’s not a great app but it’s the one we’ve got. The only reason to remove it is because you’re a deeply selfish and cynical person who doesn’t particularly care about the others in society. A Tory, basically.

It doesn’t track your location but via Bluetooth it’s constantly talking to other nearby phones and recording that they’re near and for a significant amount of time.

You check in to a location I presume because while one phone might not be close enough to someone testing positive for long enough in a large pub, the same air is still being circulated and you might walk past them frequently.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I wonder however if they're being a bit clever here. 

New vaccinations are dropping off a cliff at the moment.  This could be a masterstroke.  Right now there will probably be loads of young uns booking in their jabs so they can be sure to be double jabbed by the end of September.

France and Italy have done this, but they’ve done it now, not said they’ll do it in 2 months, IIRC. If you are going to use this “nudge” behaviour, do it immediately - the virus is spreading still and the young ‘uns are not exactly all rushing in huge numbers to get jagged - so “masterstroke” not for me, but I think you’re right about the thinking.

edit. Just checked and in France the number of people getting jagged as a result has broken all records. Do it here, now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

It could do. If 100% of the population were double vaccinated, then 100% of admissions would be double vaxxed. Currently we’re what?high 50% nearly 60% double jabbed. But add in underlying conditions and it’s conceivable

Yeah maths fail by me. It's the old ww1 head injuries increasing with helmets thing. The vast majority of people getting COVID and are jabbed will be unaware or have very mild symptoms. 

Edited by darrenm
Injuries not deaths
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Yeah maths fail by me. It's the old ww1 head injuries increasing with helmets thing. The vast majority of people getting COVID and are jabbed will be unaware or have very mild symptoms. 

I now know two (over 55) double-jabbed people who have tested positive for covid. BUT, with very mild symptoms. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

If I were to design an experiment to create a more dangerous virus, one that is more capable of blasting through our vaccines I would do what the U.K. is doing.

Well, quite.

The whole thing is mind blowingly, irresponsibly, negligently, stupid.

• Like 2

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

60% of hospitalisations are people double vaccinated. That’s disturbing .

I think it’s skewed by the fact that most of the double jabbed people are elderly. 
Most people under 40 will have had 1 or 0 jabs.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I couldn't understand this double jab night club passport vaccine for the end of September as pretty much every report states that the peak will be well passed by then. 

It's created a lot of anger in the industry too. 

I wonder however if they're being a bit clever here. 

New vaccinations are dropping off a cliff at the moment.  This could be a masterstroke.  Right now there will probably be loads of young uns booking in their jabs so they can be sure to be double jabbed by the end of September.  

My money is that by the end of September they will announce that the infection rates are now so low that they'll announce it's no longer necessary. 

So a ploy to get those jabs done? Stranger things have happened at sea. 

I would agree with this approach, I think, and obviously the government can't announce that's their plan without undermining it. But I'm going to assume that this is not the case, just based on, you know, every other **** decision they've made. :D 

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think it’s skewed by the fact that most of the double jabbed people are elderly. 
Most people under 40 will have had 1 or 0 jabs.

Yeah didn’t think of it like that. I’d like to know the % of double jabbed people ending up in hospital that are over 60-70 

9 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

60% of hospitalisations are people double vaccinated. That’s disturbing .

It's a slightly misleading stat. Basically it's just representative of the fact we have got a significant population of double vaccinated people, and because we started at the top the double vaccinated are also more likely to be more vulnerable generally.

However, it does also underline that the vaccine isn't a silver bullet. Just because you've been double jabbed doesn't mean you're invulnerable to Covid, and it doesn't mean you can't get very ill. It just reduces the chances of both.

Which in turn is why just opening up now is stupid. We're just setting the pieces for the virus to go nuts, which in turn increases the chances of the next variant which might be even more resistant to vaccines, or more deadly, more even more transmissable...

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

It's a slightly misleading stat. Basically it's just representative of the fact we have got a significant population of double vaccinated people, and because we started at the top the double vaccinated are also more likely to be more vulnerable generally.

However, it does also underline that the vaccine isn't a silver bullet. Just because you've been double jabbed doesn't mean you're invulnerable to Covid, and it doesn't mean you can't get very ill. It just reduces the chances of both.

Which in turn is why just opening up now is stupid. We're just setting the pieces for the virus to go nuts, which in turn increases the chances of the next variant which might be even more resistant to vaccines, or more deadly, more even more transmissable...

Yes, just read further into it. Neither vaccines are 100% but still very good at keeping you from not falling too ill from it. It seems the ones going into hospitals are the elderly and vulnerable. From a personal perspective, I certainly won’t be returning to normal. I don’t agree with fully opening up. Keep some restrictions until further notice. 

1 minute ago, Genie said:

It feels like the vaccine isn’t quite the end game that we thought it would be a few months ago.

Very little has gone to plan, although I still feel the vaccines have still been a game changer. 

Just now, Genie said:

I went into Sports Direct earlier for a couple of T-shirts, pretty much everybody wearing masks. 

Went into Morrison’s and everyone was in there apart from one. Went into Wetherspoons for a cold coke after work and most weren’t wearing a mask. 

Â