Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I went to several shops this morning including a big Tesco and everyone still had masks on, maybe with a one or two exceptions.

Has anyone seen anything different? 

Just got back from Morrisons. 95% of customers still in masks  - although inevitably, still a few oldsters covering mouth but not nose. It's all I can do not to tell them they may as well not bother. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MCU said:

So many people at my work are getting pinged and having to self-isolate. I feel this is going to get quite messy!

I'm more baffled as to why people still have the app. Unless they are looking to get pinged so they can go home? Do they get paid if they are self isolating? 

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

60% of those admitted to hospital have had two jabs, though no mention of the gap between the second jab and their admission. Still quite concerning numbers.

That doesn't make sense. The efficacy of the vaccine for even delta is >90% and for AZ, the 12 week booster gap was shown to be most effective.

Where's that figure from? 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I'm more baffled as to why people still have the app. Unless they are looking to get pinged so they can go home? Do they get paid if they are self isolating? 

So you can check in places without having to write your name and number on a sheet.

Just now, darrenm said:

That doesn't make sense. The efficacy of the vaccine for even delta is >90% and for AZ, the 12 week booster gap was shown to be most effective.

It could do. If 100% of the population were double vaccinated, then 100% of admissions would be double vaxxed. Currently we’re what?high 50% nearly 60% double jabbed. But add in underlying conditions and it’s conceivable

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, darrenm said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2021/jul/19/uk-covid-live-news-england-lifts-most-remaining-restrictions-as-poll-suggests-many-voters-see-it-as-wrong?page=with:block-60f5a63c8f0814e7a316c533#block-60f5a63c8f0814e7a316c533

Q: Of the new Covid cases, what proportion have had none, one and two vaccine doses?

Johnson says the number of people fully vaccinated who get Covid has been rising, but he does not have those figures.

Vallance says 60% of people admitted to hospital are double vaccinated.

That is a reflection of how many people are vaccinated, he says.

If all people over the age of 18 had been double vaccinated, you would expect all adults catching it to be vaccinated, he says.

As @blandy suggests, more vaccinated people is going to lead to more patients who get it despite the vaccine. In and of itself, a higher rate of vaccinated patients isn't a problem. If we went from 1,000 people hospitalised per/day down to 10, but all of those 10 were vacinnated, it's still a huge victory. But the high rate combined with the high number of admissions is quite concerning.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, darrenm said:

So you can check in places without having to write your name and number on a sheet.

The sheet was no hassle. 

14 minutes ago, darrenm said:

It's because of the massively higher proportion of the adult population who have been double jabbed.  So you're far less likely to get it if you have been double jabbed but the massive numbers within that group mean a small percentage of it is still a big figure. 

Plus nearly all of the single/non jabbed people tend to be young and far less likely to end up in hospital when they get it. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

I couldn't understand this double jab night club passport vaccine for the end of September as pretty much every report states that the peak will be well passed by then. 

It's created a lot of anger in the industry too. 

I wonder however if they're being a bit clever here. 

New vaccinations are dropping off a cliff at the moment.  This could be a masterstroke.  Right now there will probably be loads of young uns booking in their jabs so they can be sure to be double jabbed by the end of September.  

My money is that by the end of September they will announce that the infection rates are now so low that they'll announce it's no longer necessary. 

So a ploy to get those jabs done? Stranger things have happened at sea. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Xela said:

Are you saying all the people who are isolating for because they’re told to (and are legally required to) are sponging in some way?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Point your phone at the QR code and say you’ve done it. Job done

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Are you saying all the people who are isolating for because they’re told to (and are legally required to) are sponging in some way?

No, I'm more confused as to why so many people have it when its a hugely flawed app. Someone walks past your house and you could get pinged because that person has covid? Its causing huge issues for businesses and people are losing money by having to self isolate for sometimes spurious reasons. 

My nephew got pinged because he was sat in his car, alone in a traffic jam, and the guy in the car next to him must have had it. 

Apparently neighbours are being pinged because of the distance between walls. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

No, I'm more confused as to why so many people have it when its a hugely flawed app. Someone walks past your house and you could get pinged because that person has covid? Its causing huge issues for businesses and people are losing money by having to self isolate for sometimes spurious reasons. 

It’s not tracking your every move 24 hours a day. That’s the reason why you check into a venue. You check in and it finds other devices in the area that have also checked into that venue while you were there.

If anything going to the old pen and paper method is worse because you could have been sat in a completely different area of the pub to the person in question and never got within 20m of them. Just being in there is enough to get you to isolate.

I agree it’s not a great app but it’s the one we’ve got. The only reason to remove it is because you’re a deeply selfish and cynical person who doesn’t particularly care about the others in society. A Tory, basically.

5 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I went to several shops this morning including a big Tesco and everyone still had masks on, maybe with a one or two exceptions.

Has anyone seen anything different? 

I went into the small shopping mall in town and I'd say at least a 3rd of people weren't wearing them or just had them as chinstraps, I assume so they're ready to put it on if asked in each shop. It wasn't very busy though so everyone was naturally socially distanced so I didn't really mind.  I'm glad it sounds like people are generally wearing them in supermarkets.

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

My nephew got pinged because he was sat in his car, alone in a traffic jam, and the guy in the car next to him must have had it. 

Apparently neighbours are being pinged because of the distance between walls. 

It's been a known issue since it's outset. Something else has happenned recently imo. Tolerances have been changed, or something else has been altered.

Â