Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Missed this earlier but Lord Sumption  is making his feelings on police behaviour plain here. Glad (and surprised) to see someone inside the establishment bubble trying to put the breaks on.

• Like 3

Got stopped just outside Tescos in Warwick earlier, about 5 police stopping all cars. Just asked where i'd been and was i heading straight home, all very courteous. They weren't exactly adhering to the 2 metre distancing though. 

The world just became less safe 

The leader of an extreme Amish sect in Ohio , Samuel Mullet Senior, is now being released from prison, according to the AP News Agency.

This despite the fact that he has a long time left on his sentence.

The Amish man is judged to be in the risk group for the corona virus and should therefore serve the rest of his sentence at home, in quarantine.

Cut Attacks

The 74-year-old was convicted of several bearded attacks in 2011. His subjects in the sect broke into other Amish men and forcibly cut their hair and beards.

The league in the Bergholz, Ohio, community must have cut their opponents' beards because they did not agree on different faith issues.

The beard is important within the Amish culture and to cut it off is to be considered a hate crime, the prosecutor argued during the 2012 trial.

All accused men after the 2011 attacks.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/pLeAAE/corona-blev-ett-klipp-for-domd-amishman

• Haha 2

That reminds me of a couple of deranged barbers I used to know would break into people’s houses, sit the occupant in a chair, get behind them , pull out razors and scissors, then ask if they’d “ been away yet this year ? “.

Terrifying.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, andym said:

Got stopped just outside Tescos in Warwick earlier, about 5 police stopping all cars. Just asked where i'd been and was i heading straight home, all very courteous. They weren't exactly adhering to the 2 metre distancing though. 

That's OK but why are they stopping people outside Tescos? Surely 99% of all people are logically going shopping which is allowed.   They are therefore creating unnecessary contact with hundreds of people for no reason.   They should be stopping those few people travelling roads away from shops such as between Shirley and Dickens Heath. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, bickster said:

Going back to this, if you go out for a drive and don't get out of the car until you get back home, how is this a problem? people need to do that to stop their batteries going flat so its easy to argue it's possibly an essential journey!

My missus is fully working from home. She's our son's teacher and for the last week been my distant nurse as well cook and cleaner. She's in self-isolation because of me having the virus and it all got too much for her over the weekend so Saturday she got in her car and drove around the streets for 10 minutes to get away from the house. She got in and out of the car on our drive. What harm has she done there? 

I think the police need to be careful. 

• Like 3

It's being acknowledged by some that by overstepping the limited powers they've been given, they risk doing little but fostering distrust of the police, which I think is fairly reasonable.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/mar/30/uk-police-guidelines-coronavirus-lockdown-enforcement-powers-following-criticism-lord-sumption

Police chiefs are drawing up new guidance warning forces not to overreach their lockdown enforcement powers after withering criticism of controversial tactics to stop the spread of coronavirus, the Guardian has learned.

The intervention comes amid growing concern that some forces are going beyond their legal powers to stop the spread of Covid-19, with one issuing a summons to a household for shopping for non-essential items and another telling locals that exercise was “limited to an hour a day”.

On Monday, former supreme court justice Lord Sumption said that excessive measures were in danger of turning Britain into a “police state”, singling out Derbyshire police – which deployed drones and dyed the Blue Lagoon near Buxton black to make it less appealing – for “trying to shame people in using their undoubted right to take exercise in the country and wrecking beauty spots in the fells”.

The Guardian has learned that the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC) and College of Policing are rushing through guidance reminding officers that despite politicians’ warnings they cannot bar people from going for a run or a drive.

It will state that while certain actions such as driving to exercise may be unwise, they are not prohibited by the emergency powers, according to sources with knowledge of detailed discussions. It is also expected to conclude the law does not restrict people to exercising outside only once a day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Has anyone else gone more than the advised 7 days of isolation whilst having the virus? Today is my 8th day. I was hoping to get out of here but still have the nightly sweats and a cough. 

Nhs advice

How long to self-isolate

If you have symptoms

If you have symptoms of coronavirus, you'll need to self-isolate for 7 days.

After 7 days:

• if you do not have a high temperature, you do not need to self-isolate
  • if you still have a high temperature, keep self-isolating until your temperature returns to normal

You do not need to self-isolate if you just have a cough after 7 days. A cough can last for several weeks after the infection has gone.

I'd imagine that the 'nightly sweats' might suggest a temperature that hasn't returned to normal so I'd err on the side of caution and continue to self-isolate until that's sorted.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You do not need to self-isolate if you just have a cough after 7 days. A cough can last for several weeks after the infection has gone.

Sure does make you unpopular in the supermarket though. 

Are we ready to go down the rabbit hole that suggests the world might be overreacting to this virus and it may end up with an unremarkable number of deaths? (Not advocating for this position by the way, just looking at some different thoughts on this).

Here is a very level headed assessment from Germany:

COVID-19 - Where is the Evidence?

Statement, 20th of March, 2020

When the first coronavirus infections were reported in China at the end of December 2019, it was hardly foreseeable that a worldwide pandemic would develop from this outbreak. Initially, it was thought that the spread of SARS-CoV-2 could be halted by isolating those infected and quarantining suspected cases. It is now clear that the virus will spread worldwide despite all the drastic measures taken so far. No epidemiologist still believes that isolation and quarantine can completely eliminate the virus.

The question that urgently needs to be addressed in the present situation is therefore not how we can eliminate the virus, but rather how we can ensure that it causes as little damage as possible. Here, direct damage caused by deaths, the absence from work, or the overloading of health care systems must be weighed against indirect damage, such as the consequences of social isolation and economic stagnation. In the following, an attempt will be made to present the ambiguities and lack of evidence for the measures currently under discussion and those being implemented. The core message is the need to obtain reliable data through research on the current situation to inform future similar events

https://www.ebm-netzwerk.de/en/publications/covid-19

The UK government tracks and records deaths from all causes. This is the latest report and is the same as previous weeks. There has been no increase in the overall rate of deaths in the UK during this crisis.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/876005/Weekly_all_cause_mortality_surveillance_week_13_2020_report.pdf

Here is a blog from a Swiss doctor looking at the Italian numbers. Almost all deaths there are people who were at significant risk from the normal flu:

According to the latest data of the Italian National Health Institute ISS, the average age of the positively-tested deceased in Italy is currently about 81 years. 10% of the deceased are over 90 years old. 90% of the deceased are over 70 years old.

80% of the deceased had suffered from two or more chronic diseases. 50% of the deceased had suffered from three or more chronic diseases. The chronic diseases include in particular cardiovascular problems, diabetes, respiratory problems and cancer.

Less than 1% of the deceased were healthy persons, i.e. persons without pre-existing chronic diseases. Only about 30% of the deceased are women.

https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/?fbclid=IwAR3lIryQiUaP62oHzEimj7rbBB3LZuOqz1gSMSyMdVCQ_u_FyiYafoBKS8I

The Swedish government are largely treating it as a regular flu season albeit with extra recommendations to cover the fact that there is no vaccine to protect vulnerable groups:

While the Prime Minister has drawn criticism from many for this stance, it’s actually data from the health authorities that is the driver. In an article on The Conversation, two professors from the University of Lund explained that results from data simulations have been used: “From these simulations, it is clear that the Swedish government anticipates far fewer hospitalisations per 100,000 of the population than predicted in other countries, including Norway, Denmark and the U.K.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidnikel/2020/03/30/why-swedens-coronavirus-approach-is-so-different-from-others/#b012b9562bae

It is certainly interesting to watch this unfold in different countries and their differing responses. I don’t think we are going to be able to know anything definitively until it is studied in detail in the years to come, hence you can understand governments taking the abundance of caution (and the heavy pressure they are receiving to do so).

One point that I have seen made is that during a regular flu season deaths are often reported as being caused by the underlying condition rather than being marked down as being caused by the virus whereas with COVID-19 anyone who dies whilst carrying the virus gets recorded as a COVID 19 death. Hence why it can be difficult to tell if there is an excess number of deaths than would have been the case during a normal flu.

Edited by LondonLax

Â