Generic Virus Thread

villakram

For people wondering if this virus really is all that bad ask yourself this. Do you think, in the same time frame, there would have been so many deaths and people in ICU across the UK from just the flu this year? 

Then, for those questioning the severity of the lock down measures, imagine how many more infections and deaths there would be without it! 

I think that, even if they've been over cautious, the risk is too high not to have been so drastic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I'm over this I'm going to have another problem. 

Basically, my Asthma medication puts me in the "high risk" bracket and therefore should shield myself for 12 weeks as per the government’s guidelines. However, the government hasn't sent any communication. I followed the NHS111 advice and contacted my GP asking for a note to prove I'm entitled to shielding but they said they're not giving out any medical notes relating to Coronavirus. So, how do I get my bosses to understand that I should be shielded? 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Story from my company now is Furlough plan is first 2 weeks full pay (80% claimed back from the government)

3rd and 4th week is full pay but only for 3 days and the other 2 will be taken as holiday.

After some googling there's nothing I can see in the guidelines that means they can't do that. There's all sorts of FAQs online and they nearly all seem to suggest that they can do that

I can't see how they are proposing to work the above.

If they put you on furlough and make a claim for you under the scheme then they will claim for 80% of your usual monthly income. This must be paid to you.

If they choose to pay you more than that then it is up to them but, as far as I can see, if they have put you on furlough and applied to the scheme then they must pay you the money they get from the scheme. I don't think it is up to them to decide how they wish to distribute it, i.e. 100% for two weeks and 60% for the other two.

It really does sound like your employers are trying to screw people over with the knowledge that  you won't have much ability to sort it out (as the guidance on the government scheme page says to speak to your employer and then Acas, i.e. the Government don't give much oof a shit if employees aren't dealt with properly).

30 minutes ago, MCU said:

Did they have your address on? If not, the companies themselves would have posted. But yes, I agree

We use the Royal Mail to deliver advertising, trust me when I say this will have been organised months ago, we had to get our order in for the first two quartes of the year well before Christmas. The contracts will have been signed months and months in advance, In all likelihood before anyone thought of a global pandemic being a real thing

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

There is something here that suggests the holiday is entitled to be at full rate during this furlough period

it could be argued  that your 2 days holiday being entitled to 100% pay means that as an overall package for the week ,  they aren't paying you at the minimum 80% required ... which would be illegal  

it could be argued that I'm confused of course   , perhaps someone with a less scrambled brain can decipher my logic  here ?

As per my post above, it looks to me like you are right.

I guess the argument would be that if it's a monthly salary then week to week doesn't matter and so the only thing to argue about is whether it's potentially an issue that people are made to use up 4 days of their annual leave each month, especially if they have the leave already booked up later in the year or if they normally wouldn't use it then, &c.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

For people wondering if this virus really is all that bad ask yourself this. Do you think, in the same time frame, there would have been so many deaths and people in ICU across the UK from just the flu this year? 

Then, for those questioning the severity of the lock down measures, imagine how many more infections and deaths there would be without it! 

I think that, even if they've been over cautious, the risk is too high not to have been so drastic. 

I’m interested in following up on the evidence. Things that might seem obvious are not always so. 

26 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Basically, my Asthma medication puts me in the "high risk" bracket and therefore should shield myself for 12 weeks as per the government’s guidelines. However, the government hasn't sent any communication. I followed the NHS111 advice and contacted my GP asking for a note to prove I'm entitled to shielding but they said they're not giving out any medical notes relating to Coronavirus. So, how do I get my bosses to understand that I should be shielded? 

You tell your doctor you will report him to the Care Quality Commision if he desn't produce the relevant documentation. GPs are a pain in the arse, they think they know better on every subject than the man in the street. I had an issue with getting my medical records as the doctors were insistent on me putting it in writing, I had to point out to them that they were breaking the law in doing so. I then had to point out to them that they were also breaking the law by retaining a photocopy of my passport and driving licence (which I used to identify myself) when I picked the records up. GPs surgery staff are clueless idiots that do as they are told and are generally chosen for their officious bossy nature, they don't like being challenged. Challenge them with a perfectly justifiable threat and they'll cave becaue they also don't want the attention your stated option will bring down on them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

and nothing should be done to disincetivise the taking of annual leave.

What mentalist is actually going to elect to take annual leave during furlough? Getting paid 0% of your wage to watch telly, why would you take leave when all you can do, is exctly what you are doing now?

(and I know you were just quoting an article @tonyh29 but thats the way the quote came up)

The company my wife works for, one of the very large service management companies isnt allowing anyone to cancel leave. So as an example we are booked to go to the US in June, if we cant, tough she has to take the leave. 

14 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

The company my wife works for, one of the very large service management companies isnt allowing anyone to cancel leave. So as an example we are booked to go to the US in June, if we cant, tough she has to take the leave. 

I’d work to rule in that case. Leave on the second. Don’t read or reply to a single email out of hours. Take your lunch break every day away from your desk. 

• Like 1

It's not just the British police that are being jobsworths. Our neighbours have a friend in Paris who's been going out for a run every day. They have a maximum distance they're allowed to travel from their home. This bloke got pulled up and spot-fined by the local plod, who reckoned he'd gone 200 metres outside the permitted zone. 

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

You should probably have a good cough into an envelope before you’re entirely clear of infection, then write him a letter explaining your circumstances.

He might develop some empathy after a week or two. 

Edit: glad to hear you’re on the mend. 

Edited by Awol

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

I can't see how they are proposing to work the above.

If they put you on furlough and make a claim for you under the scheme then they will claim for 80% of your usual monthly income. This must be paid to you.

If they choose to pay you more than that then it is up to them but, as far as I can see, if they have put you on furlough and applied to the scheme then they must pay you the money they get from the scheme. I don't think it is up to them to decide how they wish to distribute it, i.e. 100% for two weeks and 60% for the other two.

It really does sound like your employers are trying to screw people over with the knowledge that  you won't have much ability to sort it out (as the guidance on the government scheme page says to speak to your employer and then Acas, i.e. the Government don't give much oof a shit if employees aren't dealt with properly).

Meh. I don’t know. I’ve raised it anyway and challenged them. HR communication is coming out soon so I’ll raise it again. 

Like I said most of the FAQs online seem to suggest they can do this. 

• Like 1

On the debate around whether this is just knocking over people who were on the way out one way or another, it seems to have made a deployed US aircraft carrier combat ineffective: 

56 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My company is trying that one. 

It got announced the day after my head of department had approved my cancellation :hooray:

I’m happy to take a few days leave here and there during the next few weeks/months, but I’m not being forced into a 2 week holiday when I can’t even go anywhere. Loads kicking off at HR about it already at my firm, climb down incoming I think. 

New past time for teenagers in Sweden is apparently to cough or spit towards old people when they meet them on the street out walking to try and scare them. What utter deplorable cretins.

:snip:

Meanwhile in Wales :D 

Taking advantage of the town’s deserted streets because of the coronavirus lockdown, the goats have been branded vandals for munching through gardens

3101.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=8bdfe8a8e688ff0bd9b1b166455965d0

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2020/mar/31/llandudno-goats-herd-running-riot-coronavirus-lockdown

• Like 2

Â