Match Thread: LCSF1 Leicester v Villa

limpid

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

Don't think we look solid. It's not the first half that I'm worried about it's the second, can we be better than the first-hand if so then we can win this game.

We grew into the match as the half went on. Amazing what a bit of confidence can do. 

Just now, Danishlad said:

Our passing has been poor, but I think it is connected to confidence (not only the players ability) it has got better though

This has to be right. First twenty minutes, central midfield was all over the place in terms of distribution. Then, the goal goes in and folk start holding their heads up, playing well in tight spaces, etc. 

• Like 1

Just now, Smartin said:

Some real Sunday League passing but we have competed well. Looked a different team after the goal. Solid half from Nyland. We look way more solid in this formation but so often it looks like we have nobody in the middle of the park.

We look much better than the first time we played Leicester cheezy. 

Just now, villalad21 said:

Nakamba looked so promising in the start of the season.

He looks so scared on the ball now. Just need a good game to get his confidence up.

Think so too. He's shown glimpses of being a good player but he makes me so nervous right now.

Well played you Villa boys, a near perfect away performance so far. The opening 10mins aside, we’ve looked relatively sound. We took their sting and grew in confidence. Stay focused and disciplined for the 2nd half, they’re going to come out fast. Important for Taylor to stay defensively focused on Ricardo, who started to break free towards the end of the half. Up to that point Taylor done well cutting off the space and time that Ricardo needs. I knew Leicester would get frustrated if we done what we have just done. Couple of lapses that we got away with, but finished the half confident. Come on you Villa boys

• Like 2

Hause fred(sorry fred) marvelous all making too many wasteful passes.

Marvellous only appears to pass directly where he is facing, there is no turn no change of direction, if hes facing forward  it only goes forward, back and sides the same even if there is no pass on.

Hause trying to thread balls through 6 or 7 times straight to their players.

Fred trying finesse 4 or so times straight to the other side.

Cut that out and we stand a chance.

Well played to grealish fred (I know)  el ghazi, mings, nyland, konsa 

Invisible, meek and timid trez, come on get some balls.

Louiz cut out the bloody shoulder barges 

Taylor ? Not done anything good or bad

We have played well, rode our luck and could actually have been 2 up. Fingers crossed 2nd half we just up it a bit more.

I don’t know how we improve our passing, it’s been bad for a fair few games.

i can only think that we need to in still quicker movement When someone receives the ball and get a close pass as an option for someone to make a pass.

then if they try something clever which doesn’t work they only have themselves to blame. 

with Leicester pressing close passes it’s not always easy but we need to be sharper at changing pace as soon as someone is receiving the ball to give them an option. 

I don’t think passing needs to be any quicker our off the ball movement towards our player will the ball does. 

The formation makes us more solid at the back, no doubt. We look a bit powderpuff in central midfield still and Nakamba is going to give me a heart attack one day. 

El Ghazi doing ok through the middle. We just need to keep it as tight as possible, waste as much time as possible and give the ball to Grealish whenever we can. 

I still think it will be a miracle if they don’t score but keep going boys! 

UTV

Just now, brummybloke said:

Marvellous only appears to pass directly where he is facing, there is no turn no change of direction, if hes facing forward  it only goes forward, back and sides the same even if there is no pass on.

Start calling him Nakamba please.

He's got a long way to go before i start calling him Marvelous again.

• Haha 1

The shape plays to the strengths of our squad - we have lots of decent centre backs who look like they’re PL quality, and it puts Mings in a spare central position to basically act like a general on the pitch, which gives us way more tactical discipline.

It’s also a great shape to play against a team with quick strikers who like to get in behind, because Mings is playing as a genuine sweeper a lot of the time.

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Please never play 4-3-3 again, ever.

I think you have to be a superb team to get away with it, and we're not.  We were in the Championship.  Miles better than most.  But in this league we're still small fry.

5-3-2, 3-4-3, 5-4-1 - however it's framed up, can give us defensive solidity AND numbers in attack.

Some astute signings this window and we can start to feel a bit calmer about the next 5 months.

• Like 1