VillaTalk Deadpool 2020

Xela

35 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Looks like it went under the radar, as I can’t see it referenced here in the past few pages...but just found out that actor Wilford Brimley from Cocoon and The Thing died on the 1st August, aged 85.

Yeah, missed that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how I missed this but James Hand a traditionalist of country music died back in June. 

Always enjoyed his music. Ags Connolly did a great song about him a few years back. 

Saw them live in New York back in 2004. A great gig, his teenage lad came.out and jammed with him on stage for a while as well. Hadn't hears of.the band before the gig I'll be honest but it was a terrific evening and they were great performers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Not a major fan of the band Van Halen but can appreciate his skills

65 is no age 🙁

Most people I talk to music about have this opinion. He was an undoubtedly talented guitarist, but they put out some **** tedious music. 

• Like 1

**** sake, I know van Helen put out a lot of shit music, but that bloke was my hero

I learnt playing guitar listening to 3 chord punk rock, then I saw live without a net by van Helen and he blew my mind.

Best guitarist in history.

RIP Eddie 

• Like 2

Only just caught up with the Bunny "Striker" Lee news. A true reggae pioneer. Between him and Lee Perry the stranglehold that Coxsone Dodd & Duke Reid had over Jamaican music was broken. Much of Pama and Trojans early output in the UK was down to Scratch or Striker. Him, Perry and Tubby were the kingpins of the dub scene and between them their influence is still heavily felt in most genres of music today and will be most likely after we're all dead

A true legend

• Like 2

Yep, agree with that. There’s little hype or promotion around Bunny Lee compared with King Tubby or Scratch. I’d have to say it’s only in retrospect I’ve realised just how many records I’ve got that he’s had a hand in. He’s less easy to ‘spot’ in a record than LSP, but I reckon I might actually have more BSL than LSP if it was the sort of thing I catalogued.

Expect a slew of re releases and best of, all for a few quid more than they were already readily available for.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

Brian 'Licorice' Locking  - former Shadows bassist died last week. He replaced Jet Harris and played on a number of Shadows hits. Younger Vt'ers might not realise how good the Shadows really were.

• Sad 1

I was very briefly in a Shadows tribute band! Briefly as in one 10 minute practise gig, as the interlude act for someone else’s gig, briefly.

It became clear there were musical differences. As in, everyone else could play their instruments and I had blagged it and had thought it was just going to be a get together for a laugh. Turned out the others proper fancied themselves as musos.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I was very briefly in a Shadows tribute band! Briefly as in one 10 minute practise gig, as the interlude act for someone else’s gig, briefly.

It became clear there were musical differences. As in, everyone else could play their instruments and I had blagged it and had thought it was just going to be a get together for a laugh. Turned out the others proper fancied themselves as musos.

What instrument were you playing? 

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

What instrument were you playing? 

A sort of bass guitar which was actually a butchered lead guitar. Great scuzzy fuzzy sound with my mates being ahead of our time. Not so clever when there’s 30 or 40 people that don’t know you at a charity gig in a Masonic Hall. They then lent me a ‘proper’ bass but that just highlighted how much was the fault of the instrument and how much was the fault of the weird kid in eye liner.

Also not helped by the others insisting we should all set off on roughly the same timing and generally try to stick with each other.

In fairness, it was a sort of first rehearsal but in front of people, to fill some time mid show. But I had been overly confident. My girlfriend of the time (it was her mates’ band), was absolutely mortified. 

• Like 1

Â