VillaTalk Deadpool 2020

Xela

Most on here will never have heard of him but '80s Liverpool musician Hambi Haralambous, best known for Hambi and the Dance (originally formed with Wayne Hussey of The Mission / Sisters of Mercey) has passed away from COVID

I remember him running a stall in the Guild of Students selling cheap jeans with his friend Francisco Melina (A music photographer of the same period)

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, bickster said:

Most on here will never have heard of him but '80s Liverpool musician Hambi Haralambous, best known for Hambi and the Dance (originally formed with Wayne Hussey of The Mission / Sisters of Mercey) has passed away from COVID

I remember him running a stall in the Guild of Students selling cheap jeans with his friend Francisco Melina (A music photographer of the same period)

:(

You may be surprised to know that "Too Late to Fly the Flag" is one of my all-time favourite singles. 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

:(

You may be surprised to know that "Too Late to Fly the Flag" is one of my all-time favourite singles. 

But but but... surprised isn't the word. Everything about it is just not Mike Mooney

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, bickster said:

But but but... surprised isn't the word. Everything about it is just not Mike Mooney

Actually, it is. One of the few things I liked about the post-punk era was the revival of guitar-based power pop. It was probably best if I didn't see what the performers looked like, as that could put the kiss of death on it (Morrissey, The Cure, et al). But I had a lot of time for Hambi, Wah!, Bunnymen, Teardrop Explodes, Buzzcocks, Magazine, etc. - alongside the (less fashionable, but musically not that dissimilar) pub rock-ish acts like Dave Edmunds, Nick Lowe, The Motors, Feelgoods, Stray Cats, Squeeze, etc. I probably bought more singles than albums for a while. 

What I would say though, is that I hardly ever feel like playing that stuff today, so it's failed the longevity test, while the more introspective, pre-punk era, album-based rock/folk/country genres still do it for me. 

• Like 2

...by the weirdest of coincidences, this twitter a/c has posted up about Hambi and posted live footage of Wah! Doing Story of the Blues.

I suspect Mr Mooney has an alter ego where he posts post punk vids and does funny things on tiktok.

26 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

...by the weirdest of coincidences, this twitter a/c has posted up about Hambi and posted live footage of Wah! Doing Story of the Blues.

I suspect Mr Mooney has an alter ego where he posts post punk vids and does funny things on tiktok.

Old mate of mine's account that. Dave Travis, legend of the DJ / Promotion scene in Birmingham

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Gordon Haskell, former King Crimson bass player and singer, 74. 

Only with them for a short while I think. Possibly more famous for 'Harrys Bar' which I think was more his style - as opposed to Prog Rock.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, veloman said:

Only with them for a short while I think. Possibly more famous for 'Harrys Bar' which I think was more his style - as opposed to Prog Rock.

Yeah, he was only on one album ("Lizard"). However, I've never heard of "Harry's Bar"! 

Â