Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

1. Not everyone should be able to vote 

2. Career criminals who have shown no ability or desire to contribute positively to society should receive life sentences 

3. Drugs should be legalized 

4. Despite the heroic efforts of the brilliant staff, who I can't fault and don't blame, the NHS will inevitably fail. We need to accept this fact and begin the process of moving towards a European style system. 

5. Monotheistic religion represents amongst the worst series of ideas the human species has ever had 

6. All of the best looking and coolest cars were American and made pre 1970

7. The world would be a significantly better place if women occupied the majority of global leadership positions

8. 'The Terminator' is better than 'Terminator 2' (which is also properly excellent)

9. Kurt Cobain was murdered

10. Anyone who voted in favour of Brexit should have to pay lifelong tax for their incredible stupidity 

32 minutes ago, regular_john said:

on this, i would favour a questionnaire based voting system.you go into the ballot box and are asked a series of questions on immigration, tax etc etc and based on your answers your vote is registered against the party that most aligns to your values. sort of like those "who should i vote for?" websites

36 minutes ago, regular_john said:

4. Despite the heroic efforts of the brilliant staff, who I can't fault and don't blame, the NHS will inevitably fail. We need to accept this fact and begin the process of moving towards a European style system. 

7. The world would be a significantly better place if women occupied the majority of global leadership position

On 4, it wont fail, it maybe deystroyed if we allow it.

7...... Who would do the washing up? 

10 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

on this, i would favour a questionnaire based voting system.you go into the ballot box and are asked a series of questions on immigration, tax etc etc and based on your answers your vote is registered against the party that most aligns to your values. sort of like those "who should i vote for?" websites

Great idea!

My opinion of the European style medical system is that it is also great, if you go in to loads and loads of depth and detail you can find differences but for me living in Germany I pay an amount of money per month to an insurance company based on the amount of money I earn, in the UK a percentage of your tax is taken and paid to the NHS... The theory of it is the same, we both pay for it but the label on it is different, the uproar would come from the number of people who believe the NHS to be free

The second problem is I look at retail in the UK and see the struggles on the high Street, the high rates and rent and the crazy number of empty units, there's a reluctance in the UK to start up or seemingly use independent shops or cafes etc and I know this is different because of the power of the supermarkets and Internet shopping but what surprised me about Germany is the way Dr's are set up as independent businesses, they rent apartments and convert them to Dr's surgeries, they can be one man bands or can be a group of Dr's together but they are independent businesses who no doubt cream the insurance companies, the cultural shift to switch over an NHS Dr to a succesful independent business is also huge, I don't know for sure the rules but there is almost definitely something different in rates because again in retail Germany do have those stores that the UK doesn't, I don't know if rent, level of PI, various other ffactor would ever make an independent insurance based system Dr competitive vs the inevitable Tesco Dr we would end up with

50 minutes ago, regular_john said:

2. Career criminals who have shown no ability or desire to contribute positively to society should receive life sentences 

3. Drugs should be legalized 

5. Monotheistic religion represents amongst the worst series of ideas the human species has ever had 

6. All of the best looking and coolest cars were American and made pre 1970

7. The world would be a significantly better place if women occupied the majority of global leadership positions

8. 'The Terminator' is better than 'Terminator 2' (which is also properly excellent)

9. Kurt Cobain was murdered

10. Anyone who voted in favour of Brexit should have to pay lifelong tax for their incredible stupidity 

1.  49.9% of any population has below average intelligence.  Where are we drawing the line?   

2.  Prison is for people who are a danger to society.  Does a 99 year old gangster really pose a threat in most cases?  What about 98?  97?  Where are we drawing the line?

3.  Where are we drawing the line?   I’m just popping to Tesco to pick up a 6 pack of Heroin and Vodka Cocktails garnished with a rock of crack cocaine. 

4.  It is being intentionally destroyed.  That’s not failure.

5.  Religion is humanity’s worst idea. 

6.  Nope.  Renault 5 in beige with a velour interior. 

7.  Totally true. 

8.  Both are enjoyable. Neither is a classic. 

9.   No.  A talented man with severe mental illness who was self medicating unfortunately killed himself.  

10.  What’s this “Brexit” you speak of?  Never heard of it.  

1 hour ago, regular_john said:

Not everyone should be able to vote

Everyone should be given the same voting rights , if it results in having leaders like Trump or Starmer however unpalatable it might be , that’s democracy 

• Like 1

We let the stupid vote.    
I am not saying that we should stop this.  Nor am I criticising any particular party.
But modern politics is seemingly a series  of catchy phrases that hook the attention of people who don’t really understand the full consequences of that action.
Linking Brexit to saving the NHS was a perfect example.  It was a hollow promise lacking any substance.  

1 minute ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Linking Brexit to saving the NHS was a perfect example.  It was a hollow promise lacking any substance.  

It was a LIE. The perpetrators should be in jail. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I thought the remain vote was 48% 😛

🤣

But seriously, the remain vote was 48% of those who voted.  Neither option had the back of the majority of the population.  I didn’t vote because neither option was correct (in my opinion).

The referendum was akin to asking people if they wanted to buy a house but you don’t get to know anything about the house or the price until after you decide. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Reading between the lines ,  the argument being put forward is  that lots of people are too dumb to be given a vote , do you  think a questionnaire is the solution ? 

1 hour ago, regular_john said:

This is an interesting point.

When Blair brought in tuition fees a lot was made why someone who had worked all their life should pay for someone else’s education.

Given the split in education levels and Brexit vote. Why should someone have to pay for someone else’s lack of education? 

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

Reading between the lines ,  the argument being put forward is  that lots of people are too dumb to be given a vote , do you  think a questionnaire is the solution ? 

What is “questionnaire.”

No like big words. 

I agree with the career criminals thing.  There was a case recently for an Asian woman killed randomly by somebody who had 28 previous convictions and out on licence at the time.  I don't see how someone that prolific should be allowed out in society.

• Like 1

Â