Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

Jack Ashley was a wonderful parliamentarian.  He gave a speech in 1973 highlighting domestic violence.  

Many victims were unable to get help because domestic violence was widely viewed as not a criminal matter.  The Police accepted it as a normal part of society.  

This extract sums it up.  Especially the 4 point requests.  They were simply to treat domestic violence as a crime and not view it as a matter between a husband and wife. 

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1973/jul/16/battered-wives

"Over half the letters I have received from battered wives complain of failure by the police to take action: Even when I fled to a police station with my face covered with blood all they did was write a report down in a book". A woman in Devon who had appealed to the police said: Never shall I ask help of the police, they make one feel degraded and humiliated". Inevitably, many women assume that nothing can be done because the phrase "domestic dispute" is parroted as an incantation for inaction. But much can be achieved, because even within the existing law the police and lawyers can significantly reduce violence. Every policeman, every solicitor and every housewife should be made aware of the Home Office Parliamentary Answer to me in June: The law does not discriminate between assaults by a husband on his wife and other assaults. Any assault constitutes a criminal offence". But a comprehensive plan to transform a serious situation must include action over a wide range. In the all too short time at my disposal I propose the following 15-point plan: the Home Secretary should write to every chief constable making four requests.

First, a criminal assault on a wife must be treated exactly the same as a criminal assault on a Member of Parliament, a police officer or a member of the Royal Family.

Secondly, every policeman should be informed that there is no law preventing him from interfering in domestic disputes where violence is use.

Thirdly, the police should prosecute in cases of criminal assault in the home rather than leave action to the woman.

Fourthly, there should be a guarantee of police protection to all wives who need it, and to ensure that in cases of criminal proceedings for violence the man is kept in custody until trial."

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Added details

There are a couple of other things nobody has mentioned yet.We got our water out of a tap and we ate lots of greasy food,eg the grease from a roast.IMHO we were fitter/healthier then because although we ate all this rubbish er burnt off all that from running around every day playing,soccer,rugby league,cricket,bushbike races,trolly races ( where you had to lug them back up the hill for the next race ) and a lot more outdoor activities,and,as mjmooney states,Im talking about the late 50s/early 60s.Im talking about the time when Buddy Holly,Chuckberry,Gene Vincent etc were top of the charts,rock and roll was the dance of the time and Elvis came along when I had one year left in high school.

9 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

we ate lots of greasy food,eg the grease from a roast.IMHO we were fitter/healthier then because although we ate all this rubbish er burnt off all that from running around

Here comes the science... 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

There are a couple of other things nobody has mentioned yet.We got our water out of a tap and we ate lots of greasy food,eg the grease from a roast.IMHO we were fitter/healthier then 

Roast, not processed meats, real butter, full fat milk, potatoes and other natural carbohadrytes such as carrots or other root veg have a much lesser affect on weight than donuts, fizzy Cola's, the "low fat" processed bullshit dieting i.e. weight watchers or those sugar stuffed granola sports bars that people are munching on. *

*Unless you sit on your arse and eat too much anyway. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

There are a couple of other things nobody has mentioned yet.We got our water out of a tap and we ate lots of greasy food,eg the grease from a roast.IMHO we were fitter/healthier then because although we ate all this rubbish er burnt off all that from running around every day playing,soccer,rugby league,cricket,bushbike races,trolly races ( where you had to lug them back up the hill for the next race ) and a lot more outdoor activities,and,as mjmooney states,Im talking about the late 50s/early 60s.Im talking about the time when Buddy Holly,Chuckberry,Gene Vincent etc were top of the charts,rock and roll was the dance of the time and Elvis came along when I had one year left in high school.

I presume from the pop artists you mention that you left school in 1956, which would have made you a "war baby".

I've been reading about those years recently and it sounded pretty grim, and so emigration would have looked very enticing.

It's funny how we filter out the bad bits and remember the good; well some of them at least.

Heartbreak Hotel was a seminal moment for a whole generation.

3 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

Good times, back when smoking wasn't even bad for you.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Good days when the fags packets were iconic brands and logos. Now its just a cancerous lung or corpse on a box. Booooo! 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Good days when the fags packets were iconic brands and logos. Now its just a cancerous lung or corpse on a box. Booooo! 

I always go for the low birth weight ones as they won't affect me

/Bill Hicks

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Xela said:

I owe my love of motorsports to a good Marlboro, John Player Special or Camel livery 😁

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I presume from the pop artists you mention that you left school in 1956, which would have made you a "war baby".

I've been reading about those years recently and it sounded pretty grim, and so emigration would have looked very enticing.

It's funny how we filter out the bad bits and remember the good; well some of them at least.

Heartbreak Hotel was a seminal moment for a whole generation.

Yes,im a war baby but my parents and me left Calcutta (India ) where my mum and dad were fighting the Japanese.We left in 1950 because India got their independance in 1950 and it took 3 years for the Indians to decide to throw the English out of India. ( my parents are both English and although I hold an English passport I have never lived in England ) As for forgetting the bad times,do you mean forgetting that we had servants to do everything and we had to do virtually nothing at all ( I even had 2 brothers ) who read comics to me so that I didnt have to read them myself.Or do you mean the other bad times,when I was enjoying myself with my mates running around the streets having fun,splitting up and having fun wars with air rifles,etc,etc,etc.As a point of interest when we had to leave India,half the family went to England and my family settled in New Zealand.I personally do not recall any bad times at all. 

19 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

We were NOT told that smoking was bad for us,we watched actors smoking in the movies,we saw people smoking everywhere,on trains,busses,in the picture theatre etc etc. I dont recall reading,on the news  ( or anywhere else for that matter ) that a lot of people were dying from lung cancer, ( I am sure that the number of people who die from smoking is the same now as it always has been ( taking into consideration that less people smoke now ) Apart from smoking im talking about the days when it was safe to drink water from a tap.About times when alarms and security only mattered to the BIG firms.About times when,if you kicked a person when he was down you were ostrasized by everyone,including your friends and family.Im definately talking about the good times.

Â