Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Its more a case of going to a good Chinese or Indian and knowing I can't make it 

The gap between my ability and an Italian restaurant is far smaller so I can't justify the price 

I can cook a damn good spag bol or my wife can make lasagna for 4 people (which also then has the "traditional" to my house problem that other foods also don't suffer from) for less than a tenner, no way am I going to pay 6 times that to take the family to an Italian restaurant 

Would even say its not a quality of ingredients or cooking method thing either, I haven't got a tandor for example, Italian food is too easy to replicate to a decent standard 

Sure, I can see that. But quality Italian cuisine has a fair bit more to offer than the stuff (you and) I can make at home! I’d never go to a «cheap» Italian place and have a mediocre spagbol or lasagna with microwaved garlic bread and a glass of house red, but I’ll gladly go to a finer Italian place and pay the money for an oxtail ravioli with just the right wine to wash it down. 

Depends on the price range. High end Italian food isn’t any more or less overpriced than high end anything else, imo. 

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 3

I've always found pizzas a bit 'meh', take 'em or leave 'em, but I've discovered that one of our many local Italian restaurants does fantastic ones, way the best I've ever had. Still an occasional treat, though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, El Zen said:

Sure, I can see that. But quality Italian cuisine has a fair bit more to offer than the stuff (you and) I can make at home! I’d never go to a «cheap» Italian place and have a mediocre spagbol or lasagna with microwaved garlic bread and a glass of house red, but I’ll gladly go to a finer Italian place and pay the money for an oxtail ravioli with just the right wine to wash it down. 

Depends on the price range. High end Italian food isn’t any more or less overpriced than high end anything else, imo. 

I am not much of a fan of anchovies but Puttanesca can be fabulous.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Unpopular opinion:

I don't see the point of having recent pictures of my family in my house. I'm talking portraits here, rather than pictures of us doing activities. 

I can just walk downstairs and look at the real thing. 

I have the pictures stored on a computer, and sure if they are older photos, maybe, but nothing from the last 5 years. 

I've got no pictures of my family at all in my flat. I know what they look like! :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Unpopular opinion:

I don't see the point of having recent pictures of my family in my house. I'm talking portraits here, rather than pictures of us doing activities. 

I can just walk downstairs and look at the real thing. 

I have the pictures stored on a computer, and sure if they are older photos, maybe, but nothing from the last 5 years. 

I completely agree. In fact, I have no pictures of anyone I know framed and displayed at all, aside from a couple of pictures of my son on the fridge. 

Walls are for art and bookshelves. 

4 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I completely agree. In fact, I have no pictures of anyone I know framed and displayed at all, aside from a couple of pictures of my son on the fridge. 

Going clockwise round our living room: art, art, art, art, art, art, family photos, family photos, bookshelves, bookshelves. 

11 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Thing is that Italian food is absolutely incredible, but it is almost invariably overpriced (or should I say priced?) and substandard outside of Italy.

i'm not massively well travelled, but probably the best food i've eaten in it's native country is italian...the shite you get over here is nothing like the traditional thing (like a lot of cuisines over here i.e. indian, so ive been told)

cream has no place in a carbonara, as one example

i'd say the food i've eaten over here that most closely resembles the traditional stuff is thai. just need to forget that the green curry that you pay £8.50 for here costs about 40p in bangkok

• Like 1

9 hours ago, El Zen said:

and banging your head against when watching Gerrard's Villa.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...
46 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I think Peter Kay is actually rather funny.

It does seem that a lot of people become very solipsistic when they talk in absolutes on the subject of whether certain things are funny or not.

What I've noticed is that families seem to be divided between those who like to laugh, and those who don't.

Phoenix Nights - very, very good. 

Everything else is patchy to poor. What I saw of Car Share, that was towards the patchy end of the scale. If you want a sitcom set in a car, then Marion & Geoff is still the benchmark.

In fact, PN is so much better than everything else he’s graciously slapped his name on, it makes me wonder how much was due to the involvement of Dave Spikey and Neil Fitzmaurice. Not saying that they really wrote all the good bits, but maybe they exerted a sort of quality control.

His stand up. Firstly, I’m fairly indifferent to stand up comedy these days. Just don’t engage with it like I used to for whatever reason. Can’t remember the last time I watched any stand up for longer than a 5-10 minute YouTube clip.

Anyway, some of it was good, I include some of the “do you remember…” routines in that too. I’m thinking the Bullseye stuff, I remember enjoying that. Other routines I saw years later and, again, patchy to poor.

Plus there’s the word of mouth/rumour mill about him being a bit of a word removed. Not that everyone has to be a nice person for their work to have merit, but I guess I’m more likely to give someone the time of day if I think they’re broadly alright.

Basically I think his work doesn’t warrant the adulation he receives and the good stuff that does warrant praise is now quite old. In fairness, it’s probably similar to how some on here feel about Oasis.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 17:26, rodders0223 said:

I agree. Not funny enough to spend 10 hours in a queue for tickets, but he does make me chuckle. 

On 11/11/2022 at 17:26, rodders0223 said:

from what I’ve seen of his stand up it’s just a bit dull , you know a comedian is boring and safe when  people don't check   if the person next to them is laughing before they laugh themself 

On 11/11/2022 at 19:05, Mark Albrighton said:

Phoenix Nights - very, very good. 

Everything else is patchy to poor. What I saw of Car Share, that was towards the patchy end of the scale. If you want a sitcom set in a car, then Marion & Geoff is still the benchmark.

In fact, PN is so much better than everything else he’s graciously slapped his name on, it makes me wonder how much was due to the involvement of Dave Spikey and Neil Fitzmaurice. Not saying that they really wrote all the good bits, but maybe they exerted a sort of quality control.

His stand up. Firstly, I’m fairly indifferent to stand up comedy these days. Just don’t engage with it like I used to for whatever reason. Can’t remember the last time I watched any stand up for longer than a 5-10 minute YouTube clip.

Anyway, some of it was good, I include some of the “do you remember…” routines in that too. I’m thinking the Bullseye stuff, I remember enjoying that. Other routines I saw years later and, again, patchy to poor.

Plus there’s the word of mouth/rumour mill about him being a bit of a word removed. Not that everyone has to be a nice person for their work to have merit, but I guess I’m more likely to give someone the time of day if I think they’re broadly alright.

Basically I think his work doesn’t warrant the adulation he receives and the good stuff that does warrant praise is now quite old. In fairness, it’s probably similar to how some on here feel about Oasis.

From what I’m told from mates in the industry, he’s a total bellend

• Like 3

On 20/08/2022 at 13:52, mjmooney said:

Drivers of particular makes of car do not have any particular behaviours. OK, owners of fast/powerful/upmarket cars may, on average, drive differently from those with more modest vehicles, but there is no such thing as a "typical [insert brand] driver". 

You drive a BMW don’t you 

Â