Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

19 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

49.9% of any population has below average intelligence.

That's a guess, based on an assumption around distribution. It ought to disqualify you from voting 😜

On 03/12/2022 at 18:30, Mandy Lifeboats said:

4.  I grew up in the 70s.  Everyone smoked.  Those who didn’t still had to sit in smoke on buses, planes and in restaurants.  Asbestos was everywhere and really kept my hot water tank warm.  Seatbelts were dangerous because it was safer to be thrown out of the car in an accident.  Children’s playgrounds were concrete.  Miners spent all day breathing coal dust.   I am slightly magnetic due to all the lead I breathed in from petrol fumes.  The NHS seemed to cope with that.  

10.  Immigrants bring too much of their culture to the UK. We should stick to keeping British Traditions for British People.  Truly British things like  Christianity, the Mini the royal family and sitting on your veranda on an autumn day around the Chimera drinking a nice Chardonnay or a cup of tea.   British inventions for British people to enjoy.  

Re #4 I grew up in the 50/60s and apart from what you have already stated.It was the norm ( then ) to just go out and leave your windows open ( with the curtains blowing out,so that anyone could see that your windows are open ) you also left your back door open and sometimes you would come home to find that the grocery boy has been while you were away ( you find your groceries unpacked and placed on the table and other similar things.Today stuff like this is totally unheard of.

The other thing is that way back then we spent every day ( till about 9pm ) playing in the street.Which kept us much more healthy than the kids of today,thats why we could breath lead/smoke etc because we were much more healthy.

On the other hand,what you have today is called advancement in technology.

PS we also got the cane at school if we mis-behaved.

3 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

Re #4 I grew up in the 50/60s and apart from what you have already stated.It was the norm ( then ) to just go out and leave your windows open ( with the curtains blowing out,so that anyone could see that your windows are open ) you also left your back door open and sometimes you would come home to find that the grocery boy has been while you were away ( you find your groceries unpacked and placed on the table and other similar things.Today stuff like this is totally unheard of.

The other thing is that way back then we spent every day ( till about 9pm ) playing in the street.Which kept us much more healthy than the kids of today,thats why we could breath lead/smoke etc because we were much more healthy.

On the other hand,what you have today is called advancement in technology.

PS we also got the cane at school if we mis-behaved.

Not sure if this is serious or the start of a Monty Python sketch?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 05/12/2022 at 10:58, Stevo985 said:
On 01/12/2022 at 12:53, bobzy said:

Pink Lady apples are the best.

Is the correct answer

No co-incidence that they're right up there as having some of the highest sugar content of any apple :)😋😋

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Its all totally true. Too bad you were not around to experience the world as it was.

I  don't agree with the "Good Old Days" nostalgic view on life.   In comparison to today,  life in the 1970s were awful.    

Being able to play football in the streets until dark did not compensate for the massive levels of pollution, unhealthy diet, overt racism, overt homophobia, wife beating being an accepted part of society and all the other ills in society.   

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I  don't agree with the "Good Old Days" nostalgic view on life.   In comparison to today,  life in the 1970s were awful.    

Being able to play football in the streets until dark did not compensate for the massive levels of pollution, unhealthy diet, overt racism, overt homophobia, wife beating being an accepted part of society and all the other ills in society.   

@PussEKatt was talking about the 1950s. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I think your assumptions about the present and the past are faulty.

Pollution - There were certainly a lot fewer cars and most of Birmingham's heavy industry was being wound down in the 1970s, and there were far more green spaces, which had yet to have been built over with supermarkets or houses.

Unhealthy diet: Most of the big companies had canteens where a subsidised healthy cooked meal was available, and obesity was far lower.

Overt Homophobia - true to a certain degree because the police were still assigning manpower to arrest guys for importuning and raiding gay clubs, but just about every pop group were androgynous to say the least (All The Young Dudes, and all that)

Wife beating - Wife-beating was never acceptable, and homocides peaked in 2002 at just over a thousand compared with 400 in the 1970s.

The 1970s was when prosperity had finally reached the north and social-mobility was celebrated in programmes like, Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads?, which contrasted the the 1960s (Terry) and the 1970s (Bob).

House prices relative to earnings were 4.5x in 1970 compared with 8x presently.

Some things are better and some things are worse.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I think your assumptions about the present and the past are faulty.

Pollution - There were certainly a lot fewer cars and most of Birmingham's heavy industry was being wound down in the 1970s, and there were far more green spaces, which had yet to have been built over with supermarkets or houses.

Unhealthy diet: Most of the big companies had canteens where a subsidised healthy cooked meal was available, and obesity was far lower.

Overt Homophobia - true to a certain degree because the police were still assigning manpower to arrest guys for importuning and raiding gay clubs, but just about every pop group were androgynous to say the least (All The Young Dudes, and all that)

Wife beating - Wife-beating was never acceptable, and homocides peaked in 2002 at just over a thousand compared with 400 in the 1970s.

The 1970s was when prosperity had finally reached the north and social-mobility was celebrated in programmes like, Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads?, which contrasted the the 1960s (Terry) and the 1970s (Bob).

House prices relative to earnings were 4.5x in 1970 compared with 8x presently.

Some things are better and some things are worse.

And Britain still had a car industry, although the 70s saw to that with their sudden aversion to a day's work.

• Haha 4

Pollution in the 70s.  

Cars ran on lead petrol. Asbestos was common.  Factories still billowed out black smoke.  Electricity was produced mainly from coal.  Smoking tobacco was widespread.  Passive smoking was widespread.  Plastic was the new wonder material and we started using disposable nappies and throw away shopping bags. The majority of household rubbish was burnt.  Acid rain.  We started using aerosols which went on to destroy the ozone layer.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Pollution in the 70s.  

Cars ran on lead petrol. Asbestos was common.  Factories still billowed out black smoke.  Electricity was produced mainly from coal.  Smoking tobacco was widespread.  Passive smoking was widespread.  Plastic was the new wonder material and we started using disposable nappies and throw away shopping bags. The majority of household rubbish was burnt.  Acid rain.  We started using aerosols which went on to destroy the ozone layer.  

Yeah, and all those war heroes and boomers, who suffered all that, and all they achieved was to earn the hatred and contempt of those who now enjoy the benefits of a world their labours built.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

31 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Okay then, but by whom?

I’m not a word scholar so I’m actually struggling to understand the difference between “acceptable” and “accepted” in this context.  I agree with you, it wasn’t in either case if there is a difference.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

Â