Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

6 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Eh? The whole of stand up? Any type at all? Bill Burr? Hicks? Chappelle? Pryor? Carlin? I can understand writing it off based on McIntyre et al but man, that’s a leap to say any sort of stand up whatsoever isn’t for you? 

Never heard of Burr or Chapelle. Seen a cumulative few minutes of Hicks, Pryor and Carlin. OK, but I'm just not into watching blokes telling jokes. Similar with sitcoms - there are maybe half a dozen that I've really liked, but I generally don't bother with them. 

• Like 1

I like stuff that’s not meant to be funny if you know what I mean . I don’t want it too obvious. Stand up comedy they are there to make you laugh, it’s too obvious. A perfect example of my kind of humour is something like Rising Damp and the little throw away  remarks or comments Rigsby makes. If there’s too much effort put into it trying to make it funny, then they lose me. 

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I like stuff that’s not meant to be funny if you know what I mean . I don’t want it too obvious. Stand up comedy they are there to make you laugh, it’s too obvious. 

My feelings exactly. I like humour that crops up in everyday life. There's something somehow artificial about "I will now say funny things, and you will laugh". It's like when I was younger, we'd go to the pub on a Friday night, and occasionally somebody would say "Let's get some takeouts and go back to my place" - those nights were fun (although I suspect far more staid than Ruge's parties!) Whereas if it was a party planned three weeks in advance, I felt sort of 'expected' to have a good time - and I rarely did. It was contrived. I find a lot of comedy is like that. Maybe I'm just weird... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Never heard of Burr or Chapelle. Seen a cumulative few minutes of Hicks, Pryor and Carlin. OK, but I'm just not into watching blokes telling jokes. Similar with sitcoms - there are maybe half a dozen that I've really liked, but I generally don't bother with them. 

I mean, I won’t say I’m surprised by this ;) 

But f*** me, for a stand up aficionado, this is like someone saying they’ve never heard of Mozart or Picasso.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

My feelings exactly. I like humour that crops up in everyday life. There's something somehow artificial about "I will now say funny things, and you will laugh". It's like when I was younger, we'd go to the pub on a Friday night, and occasionally somebody would say "Let's get some takeouts and go back to my place" - those nights were fun (although I suspect far more staid than Ruge's parties!) Whereas if it was a party planned three weeks in advance, I felt sort of 'expected' to have a good time - and I rarely did. It was contrived. I find a lot of comedy is like that. Maybe I'm just weird... 

Two peas in a pod, Mike . As for planned parties I agree. The unexpected ones were always better as you were living in that moment and not expecting this big thing that usually was an anti climax . 

• Like 1

Just thought of a couple of exceptions - I once watched an entire Bill Bailey DVD that I got from a charity shop. Probably because of his use of music humour. 

I've only once gone to see a live standup show - Count Arthur Strong, purely because the missus likes him, so I got tickets for her birthday. Mildly amusing, I suppose. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Bill Burr is my favorite right now. Absolutely on the nose about everything. We're similar ages and have young kids too so his material is very relatable to me.

Chappelle is almost savant like - it's a real art-form what he does.

This, this, and… this. 

Some of his delivery in, say, The Bird Revelation, ranges well into the realm of poetry and philosophy. It’s beyond comedy.

Much like Carlin’s riffs are so rythmically perfect, they are more music than speech, Chappelle’s delivery and timing is so flawless, it does more than make you laugh. It literally sends chills down my spine. It’s hauntingly good. 

• Like 2

Just now, El Zen said:

This, this, and… this. 

Some of his delivery in, say, The Bird Revelation, ranges well into the realm of poetry and philosophy. It’s beyond comedy.

Much like Carlin’s riffs are so rythmically perfect, they are more music than speech, Chappelle’s delivery and timing is so flawless, it does more than make you laugh. It literally sends chills down my spine. It’s hauntingly good. 

Agree entirely with this. His standup is a joy to watch. Same in my opinion with Stewart Lee. The set up is flawless 

• Like 1

Shout out to Norm (RIP) too. The Moth joke is 10/10 comedy. The dedication to drawing out such a shit joke to the point that you forget what he was originally on about only to slap you round the face with an obvious payoff that makes you hate him. Master of his craft in such a low key way yet imo doesn’t get the acclaim he deserves. 

Edit: I had to add the Dirty Johnny joke. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 2

Â