Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nah, it goes back to some Scottish player in the 1920s, Gordon someone possibly iirc

A hit for Harry Lauder in 1926. He wrote it after the death of his only son, John, a Captain in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, killed in action in December 1916. I have a feeling that it was first adopted as a terrace song by Celtic, but later appropriated by the 'noses.

Just now, mjmooney said:

A hit for Harry Lauder in 1926. He wrote it after the death of his only son, John, a Captain in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, killed in action in December 1916. I have a feeling that it was first adopted as a terrace song by Celtic, but later appropriated by the 'noses.

Yep, I knew it was Harry Lauder but I think they first sang it at the sty about some Scottish player in the 1920s

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yep, I knew it was Harry Lauder but I think they first sang it at the sty about some Scottish player in the 1920s

Later. According to Wikipedia:

The fans' anthem, an adaptation of Harry Lauder's "Keep Right On to the End of the Road", was adopted during the 1956 FA Cup campaign. The Times's football correspondent described in his Cup Final preview how the Birmingham clans swept their side along to Wembley – the first side ever to reach a final without once playing at home – on the wings of the song "Keep right on to the end of the road".

Player Alex Govan is credited with popularising the song, by singing it on the coach on the way to the quarter-final and when he revealed in an interview that it was his favourite.

In the build-up to the 1956 FA Cup semi-final with Sunderland I was interviewed by the press and happened to let slip that my favourite song was Harry Lauder's old music hall number "Keep Right on to the End of the Road". I thought no more about it, but when the third goal went in at Hillsborough the Blues fans all started singing it. It was the proudest moment of my life.

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Later. According to Wikipedia:

Hmm yes, that name seems familiar to the story I remember, so that must be it then. COuldn't be bothered using a search engine for blose shite, it would ruin my results :D 

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Hmm yes, that name seems familiar to the story I remember, so that must be it then. COuldn't be bothered using a search engine for blose shite, it would ruin my results :D 

I'm feeling slightly magnanimous today. The song is literally the only thing they have that's halfway decent. 

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Keep Right On is also a damn good anthem

Nah it's shite

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

better than anything we've got. 

True because we don't have anything.  A bit of a shame it's never really happened or developed organically for us

• Like 1

Mods. These last 2 pages need deleting before they appear in a Small Heath forum. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Cheese is shit.

Raclette. Or fondue.

Thank me later.

Edited by mottaloo

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yep and I say that as fan and so does Michael Stipe

Michael Stipe doesn't know shit. And neither do you.

• Haha 1

Â