Gareth Bale

Genie

On 07/07/2021 at 13:24, bobzy said:

Possibly unpopular opinion, but I have a massive amount of respect for Gareth Bale treating Real Madrid in the same manner that they (and other clubs) treat many, many players.  He's been frozen out, pretty much pushed out the door and knows full well he could move to basically anywhere he likes and still earn a fortune.

But no, he's draining those bastards dry and running down his contract so they suffer maximum expense - and, at the same time, managed to make a big impact at Spurs and with the Welsh national team.  It isn't like he's some washed up player choosing "money over football", he seems to have taken a proper stance here.  Good luck to him.

Like that hero Winston Bogarde did at Chelsea. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Its funny if Bale was a foreigner playing in England sitting on the bench taking the money he would be labelled as a mercenary by many like Ozil was

For some reason his golfing antics were encouraged by the British media and that he was the victim

• Like 2

Never really been a fan of his...

Did finish in sixth in the Ballon d'Or once though, not sure how that qualifies him as the greatest British player ever as some muppets have tried to argue.

There have been six British players to win the Ballon d'Or.

Stanley Matthews

Denis Law

Bobby Charlton 

George Best

Kevin Keegan (x2)

Michael Owen

There was 2 or 3 years at Madrid where he was one of the best footballers on the planet.

Fell out with the club, and then the Spanish media because he wouldn’t walk away from the ludicrous contract they gave him. When they blocked his move to China he stuck 2 fingers up to them and followed through on his promise to coast through the remainder of his term.

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Its funny if Bale was a foreigner playing in England sitting on the bench taking the money he would be labelled as a mercenary by many like Ozil was

For some reason his golfing antics were encouraged by the British media and that he was the victim

Madrid decided they didn’t want him, dropped him, made him out to be some bad character and tried to push him out to China.

He basically said “I’m not having that lads” and milked them for all it was worth. Fair play to him.

Cracking player - I reckon pretty underrated in the grand scheme of things. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Madrid decided they didn’t want him, dropped him, made him out to be some bad character and tried to push him out to China.

He basically said “I’m not having that lads” and milked them for all it was worth. Fair play to him.

Cracking player - I reckon pretty underrated in the grand scheme of things. 

He was supposed to go to China on a free but at the last minute Madrid demanded a transfer fee. The deal collapsed and Bale decided to punish Madrid by coasting through the last years of his contract in 2nd gear.

Â