Gareth Bale

Genie

Like an incredibly good Gabby Agbonlahor - several years of excellence followed by a lack of care and interest in his career and the slow realisation that it turns out he's a bit of an arsehole.

Some player at his best though, incredibly quick, strong, fit and with fabulous technical ability.

• Like 1

Another way to look at it would be excitement to see them play. I’d be excited to see Messi & Ronaldo (obviously), peak Bale, Neymar, Mbappe, peak Zlatan, Rooney, Henry… I’d put a game on the TV just to watch these guys play. I can’t say I’d be overly fussed if I watched Liverpool and Salah wasn’t playing. 
He’s a top player for sure but, maybe it’s me, I just don’t get that interested in his performances hence i’d place him in a tier below.

15 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

He was sensational.

Skill meets athleticism = unstoppable.

Yeah this is maybe hard to explain

He's probably the player in the PL that could sprint at full speed that you would associate with the English game and yet kept the ball closest to his feet

Probably a better example of it out there somewhere but the close control touches he takes towards the end of that goal look so simple yet there utterly insane, that's so hard to do

He had great pace, the best left foot around and scored some sensational goals, great in the air too. Yes hes one of the greats of British football but BBC Raising the question whether hes the greatest ever British playert. No chance!  Not even close. 

9 minutes ago, PaulC said:

He had great pace, the best left foot around and scored some sensational goals, great in the air too. Yes hes one of the greats of British football but BBC Raising the question whether hes the greatest ever British playert. No chance!  Not even close. 

Since sky invented football?

It'll be close

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah this is maybe hard to explain

He's probably the player in the PL that could sprint at full speed that you would associate with the English game and yet kept the ball closest to his feet

Probably a better example of it out there somewhere but the close control touches he takes towards the end of that goal look so simple yet there utterly insane, that's so hard to do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI2GwCf2ABk

This goal against Inter - basically just pure pace, but the ability to smash that ball across the keeper, having looked up and still running at full pelt is pretty stunning.

13 minutes ago, bobzy said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI2GwCf2ABk

This goal against Inter - basically just pure pace, but the ability to smash that ball across the keeper, having looked up and still running at full pelt is pretty stunning.

Yeah that's the same, the 2 touches he takes with the outside of his left foot which effectively slows the ball down because it's a softer touch while he's still running at full speed

That's a skill that not many players can do

47 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I think it's one of those peak vs longevity questions. If you're talking about how good players were at their absolute peak then I think he's definitely in the conversation. But if you bring longevity into it then he isn't because he was really only there for a couple of seasons.

A bit how like Ronaldinho comes into the conversation for best player of all time if you just talk about peak seasons. Because for a couple of years he was unbelievable. But when you look at his whole career he doesn't come close

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I think it's one of those peak vs longevity questions. If you're talking about how good players were at their absolute peak then I think he's definitely in the conversation. But if you bring longevity into it then he isn't because he was really only there for a couple of seasons.

A bit how like Ronaldinho comes into the conversation for best player of all time if you just talk about peak seasons. Because for a couple of years he was unbelievable. But when you look at his whole career he doesn't come close

and that brings George Best into the equation who i would rate ahead of Bale as the best Britiish player of all time 

Â