Gareth Bale

Genie

25 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Genuinely world class at his prime. Not like other players are labelled world class when they are just actually very good players, I.e the Salahs, the Sakas  etc.

Yeah I think Bale is criminally underrated due to injuries, not being loved by Madrid fans, and being outshone a bit by Ronaldo.

For about 6 years he was one of the top 5-10 players in the world, and clearly the best British player of his generation.

That goal against Liverpool is IMO the best Champions League final goal ever.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Genuinely world class at his prime. Not like other players are labelled world class when they are just actually very good players, I.e the Salahs, the Sakas  etc.

You don’t think Salah was world class in his prime? 🤔

41 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Yeah I think Bale is criminally underrated due to injuries, not being loved by Madrid fans, and being outshone a bit by Ronaldo.

For about 6 years he was one of the top 5-10 players in the world, and clearly the best British player of his generation.

That goal against Liverpool is IMO the best Champions League final goal ever.

Yeah, agreed.

His second half hat-trick away at Inter Milan as well where he completely schooled Javier Zanetti - all of them just absolute pings into the far corner from the corner of the box.

Thinking about it, he's scored a LOT of very good goals :D 

Edited by bobzy

Just now, bobzy said:

Yeah, agreed.

His second half hat-trick away at Inter Milan as well where he completely schooled Javier Zanetti in the second half - all of them just absolute pings into the far corner from the corner of the box.

The one in the Spanish cup final where he ran off the pitch another iconic goal.

• Like 2

Top 5  WC level for sure between 2013-late 2016.

Just a top career, thought he might've staggered on for another 18 months but I think he knew from World cup he couldn't just be part time player any longer.

He said he'd get Wales to a world cup and he did it.

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, agreed.

His second half hat-trick away at Inter Milan as well where he completely schooled Javier Zanetti in the second half - all of them just absolute pings into the far corner from the corner of the box.

Maicon 😛  :P

Edited by Zatman

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’d have had him top of whatever the next band down is.

The premier league can’t have had many world class players then, because prime Salah is up there with the best ever in the prem 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The premier league can’t have had many world class players then, because prime Salah is up there with the best ever in the prem 

I guess it’s going to come down to definition of world class, and everyone is different. 

For me the likes of Ronaldo, Henry, Shearer, Rooney would be world class. Only a small, exclusive group. 

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’d have had him top of whatever the next band down is.

I would say Bale is on a level with Salah/Neymar the type that were unplayable on the day but not elite level for me

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Maicon was the White Hart Lane game when Spurs won 3-1.

was the same in San SIro as Maicon played right back, Zanetti played centre midfield by the looks of it

Coutinho and Hutton played 90 minutes :D 

Edited by Zatman
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah ridiculous to say Salah wasn't also world class for a period.

6th in Ballon d'Or vote 2018, 5th in 2019, 7th in 2021, 5th in 2022.

Champions League winner and 2x CL runner up. 3 x top scorer in Premier League, and 1x player of the season (2x player's player).

That's a WC player IMO, but shows how quickly memories fade. Bale sustained that kind of form a bit longer.

The problem nowadays is everyone compares players with Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, who did it consistently for over a decade. Most great players only really shine as obvious standout talents in the global game for a few seasons.

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You don’t think Salah was world class in his prime? 🤔

World class, no, seriously good player yes. Messi, Ronaldo levels, I don't think so. I wouldn't say Mbappe is world class yet. Term is used much to lightly.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

World class, no, seriously good player yes. Messi, Ronaldo levels, I don't think so. I wouldn't say Mbappe is world class yet. Term is used much to lightly.

Errrrrrrr....... 😐 

6 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Depends of how you define world class.

Amongst the best in the world at what they do’ is what I would say.

I’d say that if you picked a World 11 A to play a World 11 B, and a player could be realistically picked for either team - then they’re world class.

So probably in the region of the top 5 - 10 in each position.

What you’re referring to as ‘world class’ I would define as ‘the best in the world’ (ie top 1-2 positions)

I’m not saying I’m right and you’re wrong.  Just my personal interpretation.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Ok. It’s semantics. I think we agree on how good we think he is, just not on the term “world class”

• Like 1

Â