What's your funeral song?

welnik

We buried my mate on Monday, motor neurone disease. He was a week younger than me! 

Anyway, he had "Daniel" as his last song as we carried the coffin out, and it got me wondering what mine would be. 

At this present moment in time I think I'll be having "Father, son", a quite brilliant tune by Peter Gabriel. 

So, what do you want at your funeral? 

Many Rivers to Cross by Jimmy Cliff, Angel by Aretha Franklin, and I've always had this fantasy that some beautiful, tearful woman would insist on You're the Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me by Gladys Knight. But who would that woman be?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

• Like 1

Not sure I'd go for a specific song (I won't give a shit as I'll be dead so maybe my family want to play something that they thought about) but if I was to pick I'd say Temple of the king by Rainbow

My mate Steve died a couple of years ago, having specified his three funeral tracks as: 

'Route 66' by Buckwheat Zydeco 

'Anarchy in the UK' by The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain

and 

'Werewolves of London' by Warren Zevon 

**** ing legend. 

And one of my daughter's friends died (aged 17) in a car crash. Her parents played her favourite record at the funeral: 'I Predict a Riot'. 

Me? I fancy 'Long May You Run' by Neil Young, but essentially, the family can choose whatever they want, I won't be there to give a toss. 

• Like 2

Sorry to hear of your loss Welnik :( 

I'd be sorely tempted to choose one simply based on a pun. 'I am the Resurrection' by the Stone Roses maybe, or something unexpected like the Sex Slaves - All Night Long. Otherwise I've always liked Warren Zevon's 'Keep Me In Your Heart'

• Like 1

I lost my cousin to bowel cancer two years ago, she was 44. She only had eight weeks to live from diagnosis.  Anyway, she was a massive Duran Duran fan and she had chosen the song “Ordinary World” to play during the service.   Don’t think I’ve ever cried so much, absolutely heartbreaking.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Its already bin Dunne by Chris  but it would amuse me to have "I am the god of hell fire " blast out as the coffin goes into the cremation flames 

but other than that I haven't' really given it any thought  , maybe  "Just Like Fred Astaire " by James  , I don't do soppy stuff particularly well but its an unabashed love song  and Mrs h29 would get the significance

• Like 1

To be honest I really wouldn't give a shit about my funeral, I'd rather they just chucked me in the bin and went down the pub or for a decent meal instead but I think it's illegal to dispose of a body like that.  If I had to choose a song I'd go for Promise by BRMC, the lyric is quite sad but hopeful at the same time.

Â