The Hung Like a Donkey General Election December 2019 Thread

Jareth

Which Cunch of Bunts are you voting for?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cunch of Bunts Gets Your Hard Fought Cross

• The Evil Abusers Of The Working Man Dark Blue Team
    • The Hopelessly Divided Unicorn Chasing Red Team
    • The Couldn't Trust Them Even You Wanted To Yellow Team
    • The Demagogue Worshiping Light Blue Corportation
    • The Hippy Drippy Green Team
    • One of the Parties In The Occupied Territories That Hates England
    • I Live In Northern Ireland And My Choice Is Dictated By The Leader Of A Cult
    • I'm Out There And Found Someone Else To Vote For

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/19 at 23:00

8 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Weird you say that, as the people I know who support Corbyn are doctors, teachers, and many other trades. Would you say they aren't capable of critical thinking? 

I'd suggest the lack of critical thinking came from those who caused this, who fall for slogans on buses.

I would say that yes. Their job means nothing. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

If it snows hard for the few days before the election, a decent cold snap, the tories will lose about 5% of their core vote.

That’d be funny, snowflakes winning because of snowflakes.

Careful, you'll be called a psychopath soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

And critical thinking

You and @StefanAVFC absolutely bang on. Critical thinking and understanding research and source and being able to understand the difference between peer reviewed research findings and a meme on facebook.

Waiting until people are in Uni before touching on that whole area is so flawed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

If it snows hard for the few days before the election, a decent cold snap, the tories will lose about 5% of their core vote.

That’d be funny, snowflakes winning because of snowflakes.

Joking aside, back in the day the received wisdom was that bad weather was good for the Tories, bad for Labour - the rationale being to do with lower levels of car ownership by the working class. Of course nowadays the working class all have cars and vote Conservative... 

The website, launched by Best For Britain, a pro-remain organisation, suggested that voters should back the Lib Dems in Kensington, where the Labour MP has a majority of just 20 against her Tory opponent.

The Lib Dems received just 4,724 votes there in 2017 compared with 16,313 for the Tories and 16,333 for Labour.

Likewise in Cities of London and Westminster, the website recommends voting Lib Dem, where the candidate got just 4,270 in 2017, compared with 18,005 for the successful Tory incumbent and 14,857 for Labour.

Both seats have high-profile Lib Dem defectors standing, with former Tory Sam Gyimah in Kensington and former Labour MP Chuka Umunna in Cities of London and Westminster.

Tests of the website suggested there were many examples of advice to vote Lib Dem in seats where there was little hope of victory and a vote for Jo Swinson’s party would be likely to lead to a win for the Tories. In Hastings and Rye, where former Tory cabinet minister Amber Rudd is standing down, the website recommended a vote for the Lib Dems who got just 1,885 in 2017. In contrast, the Conservatives got 25,668 votes and Labour got 25,322.

Grauniad

Best for Britain have a few links to the Lib Dems iirc, not least of which is their CEO being a Lib Dem supporter.

They've tried to argue that the votes since 2017 changed the outlook of many seats and the methodology they claim to have used can throw up unexpected results... but still... advising a vote for Lib Dems in Hastings, when the margin between Labour and the incumbent Tories at the last general election was so small it went to multiple recounts, and the Lib Dem vote there is obscenely small in comparison, requires some mental gymnastics. To say the least.

One suspects Best For Britain wouldn't mind some Lib Dem gains at the expense of any other party.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

If I work for a business and earn £8 an hour selling film tickets at £10 a pop, and selling 50 of.those an hour, I deserve to be rewarded long term for building the base for that business to make huge profits.

Which is probably why my local cinemas don't even have a ticket office any more. Online/app or automated machine only..

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Joking aside, back in the day the received wisdom was that bad weather was good for the Tories, bad for Labour - the rationale being to do with lower levels of car ownership by the working class. Of course nowadays the working class all have cars and vote Conservative... 

There is no link to weather / Turnout.

Someone did a study on it and it was discussed the other day on the telly.  (Oxford or Cambridge university type thing)

23 hours ago, av1 said:

I'll be voting conservative. I think they will get a slightly bigger share of the vote but still no majority. 

I only liked this because I was wondering who the hell the 8 people were given this forum is so quiet Tory-wise - fair play mate.

Labour vote 100% for me.  Genuinely can't even comprehend how people think Corbyn is worse than Johnson.   But, then, we're utterly **** as a country so I guess it makes some sense.

My seat has been Ken Clarke's for, what, 60 years?  He's very popular in the area, basically with everyone, and him not standing could well swing the 8k-ish majority he had in Labour's favour.

(Also a wealthy area though, so who knows, most may just vote Conservative anyway).

Johnson has picked his safe Tory seat to parachute into. Rutland apparently.

I know it's been a thing in politics since time immemorial, but it does kinda leave a bitter taste in the mouth that the parties just divvy up the constituencies to ensure those whose faces fit her the cushy safe seats. I'd genuinely like to hear Johnson give a potted history of the Rutland constituency, what causes are important there, etc etc. I barely expect he could find it on a map. I've always felt that the seats really should be held by someone with some connection to the area. It'll never happen, but it feels like that is something that empowers the idea of a constituency being represented in Parliament - it has someone who actually knows the place sitting in Parliament and lending their voice to it.

• Like 3