The Hung Like a Donkey General Election December 2019 Thread

Jareth

Which Cunch of Bunts are you voting for?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cunch of Bunts Gets Your Hard Fought Cross

• The Evil Abusers Of The Working Man Dark Blue Team
    • The Hopelessly Divided Unicorn Chasing Red Team
    • The Couldn't Trust Them Even You Wanted To Yellow Team
    • The Demagogue Worshiping Light Blue Corportation
    • The Hippy Drippy Green Team
    • One of the Parties In The Occupied Territories That Hates England
    • I Live In Northern Ireland And My Choice Is Dictated By The Leader Of A Cult
    • I'm Out There And Found Someone Else To Vote For

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/19 at 23:00

Just now, Chindie said:

Quite a bit of talk that some of the 'tactical voting' guide sites might be disingenuous... recommending Lib Dem votes where they wouldn't actually be the right choice.

Which is shitty.

Yeah I've seen that. Probably explains why Lib Dems suddenly have a lot of £ too. I've had two leaflets this month. I think they are getting the funding which was once reserved for Blair's Labour.

31 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

For the first time ever I can't vote for anyone. I normally vote Labour with FIBDEMS as my second choice if Labour are too left wing. Corbyn is definitely too left wing for me but I haven't forgiven the FIBDEMS for selling out their principles as soon as they got a sniff of power. 

I believe we should stay in the EU but I also believe we should respect the result of referendums. 

I also wash on a regular basis which automatically prevents me voting Green. 

I wish there was a box on the ballot paper "None of the above". 

What Labour policies do you disagree with? Which are too left wing for you?

5 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

As a student, I was never taught anything to do with Politics.

And that was a decent school.

A total lack of Politics/Civics education in schools is a huge reason why we're constantly ****.

So, good effort Tony, but your hilarious joke at the expense of teachers falls flat this time :) 

Decent school? I thought you were at The Friary??! 

I was only ever taught politics when I took an A-level. Kids do need to be taught about politics.

The other issue is the "your opinion is the most important thing" phrase. Because as we see now, people believe that opinion trumps fact (no pun intended, really). 

Also, the fact we glorify war in films makes a certain type of man wish for the glory of those days, where they watched badass people run through a barrage bullets - they don't understand the real consequence of war. It's all from the movies and in their head it was beautiful and monumental. In reality millions died and it left people destitute. It destroyed more than it created - but this doesn't make for a good story, so the glorifying of war for 60+ years has had a massive negative mental impact on a lot of people.

Edited by avfcDJ
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Chindie said:

He ain't wrong.

I'll leave it to VT's music critics to explain why it's terrible  :)

In amongst a few falsehoods  I spotted (they scrolled very fast on the screen wonder if that was deliberate ?  )  , would it not be a tad misleading to claim they "defeated"  May's Brexit deal 3 times  , had the Tory party all voted for it ( might have needed the DUP  )  it would have passed would it not ? , Labour would have been in  effect powerless to stop it.... Maybe the Tory party will also claim to have blocked Mays deal 3 times on their election video  :)

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

In amongst a few falsehoods  I spotted (they scrolled very fast on the screen wonder if that was deliberate ?  )  , would it not be a tad misleading to claim they "defeated"  May's Brexit deal 3 times  , had the Tory party all voted for it ( might have needed the DUP  )  it would have passed would it not ? , Labour would have been in  effect powerless to stop it.... Maybe the Tory party will also claim to have blocked Mays deal 3 times on their election video  :)

It was probably deliberate to keep the video within a good time limit for attention, marketing.

And if doesn't matter who abstained or that not all Tories voted, it was defeated, and Labour stood against it - although of you read the BBC you wouldn't believe it. 

Just now, mjmooney said:

Ooh, look BBC News getting voxpops from... West Brom. Leave area, punters talking about deserting Labour for Tories. Quel surprise. 

I'm writing a blog based on stories from my ex-BBC friend. This is all deliberate - heard some interesting stories as to why he and others have left and many more want to go but jobs are sparse. 

16 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

What Labour policies do you disagree with? Which are too left wing for 

Nationalisation of the rail industry. I remember state owned British Rail. It was terrible. 

Forming a state owned drug company to produce cheaper drugs. Patents still apply. Would the drug companies take this lying down? 

Making companies offer a certain percentage of shares to the workforce. It sounds good in theory but how could it possibly work in practice. How could you stop people selling their shares? What happens when staff leave? How much would this reduce the value of existing pension funds? 

22 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I also wonder whether they really want people to have the impression that they blocked a ban on fox hunting...

EIFCNXJXkAAzZw_?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by ml1dch
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Nationalisation of the rail industry. I remember state owned British Rail. It was terrible. 

Forming a state owned drug company to produce cheaper drugs. Patents still apply. Would the drug companies take this lying down? 

Making companies offer a certain percentage of shares to the workforce. It sounds good in theory but how could it possibly work in practice. How could you stop people selling their shares? What happens when staff leave? How much would this reduce the value of existing pension funds? 

I also remember nationalised railway. Mismanaged and services which were awful. I'm off to the South West in December. I'm paying £95 for my ticket, and the last time I went on a train through Westbury, the roof was leaking. I've also had to stand up for 3 hours on a train, I have regularly given up my booked seat to disabled or elderly people. The trains where I live are only just being replaced, those trains are nearly 90 years old - rotten and bumpy. Privatisation is only working for the shareholders, that money should be reinvested in sensible management of the railway and in reopening lines to take pressure off the roads, reduced prices and better and easier ways to go by train.

The NHS is being charged up to hundreds of thousands for drugs which they make a loss on in order to treat diseases. Some people are forced abroad because the NHS cannot afford drugs. It's a scandal. Imagine how much better off the NHS and our lives would be if we had access to the right drugs and where the money saved could go in the NHS.

Third one, some good questions there. In theory it is a great idea, we'd need to see the full idea and how it works - but all employees should have access to more from the business they work for. If I work for a business and earn £8 an hour selling film tickets at £10 a pop, and selling 50 of.those an hour, I deserve to be rewarded long term for building the base for that business to make huge profits.

Edited by avfcDJ
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

As a student, I was never taught anything to do with Politics.

And that was a decent school.

A total lack of Politics/Civics education in schools is a huge reason why we're constantly ****.

So, good effort Tony, but your hilarious joke at the expense of teachers falls flat this time :) 

OT , but I actually agree with you , i think a decent Politics \ civics education would be good for schools  , along with current affairs  .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Where I live now is a straight scrap between the SNP & Lib Dems - both raving Remainers, obvs. Very little point in voting this time, I’ve never had a knock on the door or even a piece of paper from the Tories, Labour or Greens.