The Hung Like a Donkey General Election December 2019 Thread

Jareth

Which Cunch of Bunts are you voting for?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cunch of Bunts Gets Your Hard Fought Cross

• The Evil Abusers Of The Working Man Dark Blue Team
    • The Hopelessly Divided Unicorn Chasing Red Team
    • The Couldn't Trust Them Even You Wanted To Yellow Team
    • The Demagogue Worshiping Light Blue Corportation
    • The Hippy Drippy Green Team
    • One of the Parties In The Occupied Territories That Hates England
    • I Live In Northern Ireland And My Choice Is Dictated By The Leader Of A Cult
    • I'm Out There And Found Someone Else To Vote For

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/19 at 23:00

9 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Johnson has picked his safe Tory seat to parachute into. Rutland apparently.

I know it's been a thing in politics since time immemorial, but it does kinda leave a bitter taste in the mouth that the parties just divvy up the constituencies to ensure those whose faces fit her the cushy safe seats. I'd genuinely like to hear Johnson give a potted history of the Rutland constituency, what causes are important there, etc etc. I barely expect he could find it on a map. I've always felt that the seats really should be held by someone with some connection to the area. It'll never happen, but it feels like that is something that empowers the idea of a constituency being represented in Parliament - it has someone who actually knows the place sitting in Parliament and lending their voice to it.

Where did you hear this? Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest though as the seat has been vacated and London has gone very anti-Tory.

Also I agree with your point. Seems daft to just parachute your favourite people into safe seats as per my seat; though that is the one argument that the Tory candidate keeps going on about.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Johnson has picked his safe Tory seat to parachute into. Rutland apparently.

I know it's been a thing in politics since time immemorial, but it does kinda leave a bitter taste in the mouth that the parties just divvy up the constituencies to ensure those whose faces fit her the cushy safe seats. I'd genuinely like to hear Johnson give a potted history of the Rutland constituency, what causes are important there, etc etc. I barely expect he could find it on a map. I've always felt that the seats really should be held by someone with some connection to the area. It'll never happen, but it feels like that is something that empowers the idea of a constituency being represented in Parliament - it has someone who actually knows the place sitting in Parliament and lending their voice to it.

If the voters of that constituency also feel strongly about that they are quite able to use their vote to vote for a candidate from the local area. 

19 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

He could’ve stood in Lichfield but his mini-me is already there.

I remember Lichfield going Labour in Blair’s time (Sylvia Heal), not too likely with JC in the chair though - the locals are far too sensible. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Someone I knew from school just popped up on my Facebook feed. I've not spoken to him in years, weren't really close friends, we're just connected on there because, well, we knew each other in school. He went into the RAF straight from school, was in air cadets when we were still at school, that kinda background. The reason he popped up? He was commenting on an election piece to note that Corbyn was a traitor.

This election campaign is going to be a shitshow.

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Someone I knew from school just popped up on my Facebook feed. I've not spoken to him in years, weren't really close friends, we're just connected on there because, well, we knew each other in school. He went into the RAF straight from school, was in air cadets when we were still at school, that kinda background. The reason he popped up? He was commenting on an election piece to note that Corbyn was a traitor.

This election campaign is going to be a shitshow.

I've encountered a lot of ex military who believe the Tory/BBC line. Scary go think these people are in our armed forces. Very easily lead.

I also have a bit of a think before each election about what is important to me. I'm struggling to imagine a time where public services are not the  #1 priority for me.

I have friends and relatives that work in hospitals, schools and for the police and fire brigade and I work in SEN education myself. The privitisation and chronic underfunding of these institutions is alarming. It really is. 

Unless you're extremely wealthy then these services are essential to you too. They need looking after and the current government are degrading services to the point where they can privitise them, primarily the NHS If you don't think we're on that route, then think again. 

Phase one has happened, degrade services to the point where they're not fit for purpose. 

Phase two is the referendum and Brexit, enable a situation where privitisation can occur. 

Phase three isn't far away, a free trade deal with America, or wherever, that is economically really positive for the country, so privitisation can be sold to the public as a by product of our prosperity. 

So, for me and many others, Brexit is important. But it isn't #1, and nor should it, because whatever happens post Brexit, we need a government that's going focus on the priories in the country. Not hostile environments, universal credit or fox hunting. 

I will be voting Labour, but in all honesty, I will be doing so with a lot less enthusiasm as I should. But they're the best bet for me and my priorities at the moment, in my constituency which is comfortably Conservative.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

I also have a bit of a think before each election about what is important to me. I'm struggling to imagine a time where public services are not the  #1 priority for me.

I have friends and relatives that work in hospitals, schools and for the police and fire brigade and I work in SEN education myself. The privitisation and chronic underfunding of these institutions is alarming. It really is. 

Unless you're extremely wealthy then these services are essential to you too. They need looking after and the current government are degrading services to the point where they can privitise them, primarily the NHS If you don't think we're on that route, then think again. 

Phase one has happened, degrade services to the point where they're not fit for purpose. 

Phase two is the referendum and Brexit, enable a situation where privitisation can occur. 

Phase three isn't far away, a free trade deal with America, or wherever, that is economically really positive for the country, so privitisation can be sold to the public as a by product of our prosperity. 

So, for me and many others, Brexit is important. But it isn't #1, and nor should it, because whatever happens post Brexit, we need a government that's going focus on the priories in the country. Not hostile environments, universal credit or fox hunting. 

I will be voting Labour, but in all honesty, I will be doing so with a lot less enthusiasm as I should. But they're the best bet for me and my priorities at the moment, in my constituency which is comfortably Conservative.

Brilliant post 👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Awol said:

I remember Lichfield going Labour in Blair’s time (Sylvia Heal), not too likely with JC in the chair though - the locals are far too sensible. 

Nearly 30,000 of them are evidently morons based on the last election.