January Transfers 2019/20

sne

4 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Not related to any transfer news of ours just some Man Utd news regarding Jack Grealish.

Manchester United have reportedly placed midfielders Jack Grealish, James Maddison and Donny van de Beek on their transfer shortlist ahead of next summer.

http://thepeoplesperson.com/2020/01/11/manchester-united-draw-up-three-man-midfielder-transfer-shortlist-ahead-of-summer-window-report-211249/

Wishful thinking. Isn't the last one from Dawson's Creek?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Does this mean that we are waiting till near the end of the window and not being forced I to quick signings. I know some of you do not like the Birmingham mail.

What Smith has said:

We’d like to get some deals done pretty sharpish but we know the market in January drags out a little bit. The prices get lower and lower towards the end of the month.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-receive-arsenal-transfer-17548977

Do they really get lower towards the end of the window? Surely this is when prices go up as clubs know you're desperate to bring someone in, plus they will want time to bring replacements in themselves.

10 hours ago, John said:

Not two from the UK then? Can Pepe play up front, perhaps? 

I’m pretty sure it’s just a two loan max... this is from the rules;

Premier League clubs may not register more than two players on loan at any one time. - The maximum number of loans registrable in the same season is four, and, under no circumstances, shall more than one be from the same club at any one time.

So I think we’ll be buying our strikers.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I’m pretty sure it’s just a two loan max... this is from the rules;

So I think we’ll be buying our strikers.

The clause about foreign clubs not counting seems to exist. Sub loan sounds no different from me not being allowed to sub let my apartment. 

Neil Warnock complained about it

"It's scandalous," he added. "We can bring 10 from abroad so who are we trying to help?

"It's a disgrace when I could be giving a young lad a chance in the league."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46671512

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

The clause about foreign clubs not counting seems to exist. Sub loan sounds no different from me not being allowed to sub let my apartment. 

Neil Warnock complained about it

"It's scandalous," he added. "We can bring 10 from abroad so who are we trying to help?

"It's a disgrace when I could be giving a young lad a chance in the league."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46671512

Hmmm... interesting! Well that’s clear as mud - good old Premier League rules! thanks bud 

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

Do they really get lower towards the end of the window? Surely this is when prices go up as clubs know you're desperate to bring someone in, plus they will want time to bring replacements in themselves.

I think both these points are probably true. The second one means clubs are actually just less likely to sell/loan at all nearer the end of the window, so the market gets smaller as the month goes on.

Unless they have really crap players costing them a lot of money who they are desperate to get rid of. They would certainly reduce the prices for those sorts of player.

Maybe that’s what Smith is holding out for?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Hmmm... interesting! Well that’s clear as mud - good old Premier League rules! thanks bud 

It's really doing my head in. The language is so obtuse I've downloaded the full pdf and still can't make a definitive call

Edited by Kiwivillan

7 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Transfer window ends on 31 January. Judge it then.

You can line up all the deals you like in early Jan, but any sensible selling club will be looking around for higher offers before committing. That's why most transfers go through on deadline day.

The only ways to sign players early are:

• you're the only club at your level interested in the player (e.g. Drinkwater probably)
  • you're the only club the player is interested in (i.e. Liverpool, Barcelona, etc.)
  • you pay way over the odds.

I'd say we've done a good job if we've pinned down Drinkwater and Reina, get a striker in time for the crucial fixtures against Brighton and Watford, and then get a winger by the end of the window.

I'm impressed by how the club is run by the new ownership, and my opinion has been pretty firm on that since they arrived.

I will judge it then, but I can judge it now as well. Everything I said is true, like it or not. I agree Drinkwater and Reina are solid short term solutions, but they aren't strikers. No I am not impressed how the club has handled this obvious need of a striker this window. We might be well run, but there's clearly something lacking in our club when it comes to finding the right players and getting them in on time. I won't blame Deano for this, cause there's just so much a man can handle alone. But ultimately he will take the fans fury, which is unfortunate. 

9 hours ago, LondonLax said:

No it’s not ‘wrong’. We could sign any number of shit players on the first day of the window but good players who will make a real difference to the squad and fit the budget? That’s much tougher. Those players would likely be weighing up offers from multiple clubs and are not going to commit to Aston Villa on the day the window opens. 

It's 100% wrong, saying it isn't won't make it right.

You said "It’s very easy to attract good players when you are European champions and 15 points clear at the top of the league, a little tougher when you are pitching a relegation battle and only a handful of wins in the season." 

This makes no sense cause we are not looking at the same players. There are an absolute **** ridiculous amount of talented strikers willing to come into the PL, not only for their career, but we can offer more money than any league in the world bar a few top teams here and there, and even then we are not looking at the same players. The fact that we still have not landed a striker and we are starting matches without a striker is just mismanagement from our recruitment department whatever way you wish to look at it. This should have been first on the agenda and made an urgent DD from August on. Shit Villatalk even started a new striker thread already at that point. Everyone knew it was needed. Except those that matters it seems. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

My post on the last page seems to indicate that you're only allowed two loans regardless of whether the player plays in this country, or overseas. But Last season Cardiff had three loan players at the same time, Arter and Camarasa, both joined in August of 2018, and then in January Niasse signed up, and neither Arter or Carnarasa left to accomodate him. So whether the rules changed for this season I'm not sure.

Says on the PL official site: 
- Premier League clubs may not register more than two players on loan at any one time.

Doesn't mention different rules for goalkeepers or players from foreign clubs from what I can see. So suspect we can't bring in more loans. 

• Like 1

Norwich have had three players on loan this season, Patrick Roberts, Ralf Fahrmann, and Ibrahim Amadou, Roberts has now left and joined Middlesbrough, but all three of them were at Norwich up until January, and all three played for them between August and January. So yes, it looks like that we are indeed allowed another loan.

28 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

There are an absolute **** ridiculous amount of talented strikers willing to come into the PL, not only for their career, but we can offer more money than any league in the world bar a few top teams here and there, and even then we are not looking at the same players. The fact that we still have not landed a striker and we are starting matches without a striker is just mismanagement from our recruitment department whatever way you wish to look at it.

There are indeed two ways to look at it. Either the entire management, recruitment and scouting team of one of the biggest football clubs in the world are all useless. Or you're wrong and it's not that simple. 

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Norwich have had three players on loan this season, Patrick Roberts, Ralf Fahrmann, and Ibrahim Amadou, Roberts has now left and joined Middlesbrough, but all three of them were at Norwich up until January, and all three played for them between August and January. So yes, it looks like that we are indeed allowed another loan.

Really weird as it goes against what I can find on the PL OS. Maybe it means there are a rule about goalkeepers that isn't listed. 

3 minutes ago, rubberman said:

There are indeed two ways to look at it. Either the entire management, recruitment and scouting team of one of the biggest football clubs in the world are all useless. Or you're wrong and it's not that simple. 

Nobody is saying it's simple. What's being said is that the job that's been done is inadequate. 

7 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Well, I question the bit about one of the biggest football clubs in the world - it feels like we are quite tiny at the moment. But regrettably there is a precedent for the “all useless” bit. Ref Aston Villa 2013-2017.

January's always tough, even when you aren't struggling near the relegation zone and clearly in dire need of players in a particular position, as villa are. 

Would I take Benteke or Murray or Gayle in the team right now?  Absolutely.  Right now, our first striker option appears to be a 17-year old American whose first senior appearance was a week ago.  

Would I be disappointed if Benteke is the best we can do?  Absolutely.

Would I conclude that our scouts are crap and our owners cheap and unambitious if that's all we get?   Not necessarily.  There are so many pieces that have to fall into place in order for a really good player to end up here:

1.  Their current team have to be willing to part with him, which generally means they have to get a replacement in first or happen to have a surplus of really good players in that position.  But if a player is out of favor it usually means they've been in poor form, which would cause most on this forum to say, "but they've only scored x goals" or "they can't even get a game at Crap Town United".

2.  The player has to want to come.  We're a newly promoted team and relegation favorite.  There's a high possibility they'll end up in the Championship or have to find another move in 6 months.  How may really good players want to come here who aren't also wanted by other clubs in a better position?  Of those, how many are proven goalscorers in the PL or equal level?

3.  There has to be enough spending room to be in compliance with FFP not only for this year, but going forward, as well.  Wages are probably as big a concern as net spend on player purchases.  The kind of player everyone agrees we should be trying to get will not be cheap or on low wages.  Loans who are a high probably to be able to hit the ground running are probably already on high wages even if their club is willing to part with them and they're willing to come.

4.  On the subject of wages, even if a really good player is available and willing to come and we can afford the wages and/or fee, what would their arrival do to our wage structure and team togetherness?  Most players fitting our criteria (and even Benteke), are likely to be on significantly more per week than Grealish, Mings and McGinn.  Are we then going to have to double their wages in order to keep them happy?  How will that affect FFP and the ability to go out and gradually buy better players in the summer while  keeping hold of our best players?  The owners and management have made sustainability a priority and have worked hard to make sure we bring in players toward the lower end of the age and wage range and not yet at their peak abilities so that the overall quality level of the team and individual players can gradually increase and the ones who move on can fund the improvement with their sell-on value.  Successfully dropping a superstar on high wages into the mix would be tricky enough, and dropping a fading star or an unproven player into the mix is even tougher.

The owners have money and have repeatedly stated their ambition and willingness to spend it, and demonstrated  that in the summer.  We have no idea how much wiggle room the club has with FFP.  A week ago there were widespread claims we would have to sell Grealish to comply.  That was obviously bollocks, but we clearly are fairly close to the edge.   I hope we can get a great striker or two and a wide player and midfielder in who would walk into the first team.  I'm not setting my expectations too high and won't jump on the owners and management team for being a bunch of incompetent fools lacking ambition if it doesn't happen, however.

UTV!

• Like 2