January Transfers 2019/20

sne

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Firstly let’s see if they even come up. Secondly they will probably then realise how much harder It is too find players that can play the premier league. 

They have a great recruitment team. Don’t see why it has to be a reason to have a dig at ours. 

Yes, I'll be interested if they come up as I said.

Different teams all over the world find bargains every season, it'll be amazing if they manage to sign 3 or 4 PL quality players for well below the usual prices in one go, huge test of their setup. It'd also be interesting if it fell apart and all the players aren't good enough.

What dig? Do you think they could do better than those players for 40m?

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Yes, I'll be interested if they come up as I said.

Different teams all over the world find bargains every season, it'll be amazing if they manage to sign 3 or 4 PL quality players for well below the usual prices in one go, huge test of their setup. It'd also be interesting if it fell apart and all the players aren't good enough.

What dig? Do you think they could do better than those players for 40m?

Come on mate you know it’s a dig. If they have to sign 12 players for 120 odd million I doubt everyone of them would be a hit.  Nakamba and Trez for what has been spent is not amazing but not disaster signings either. Wes does appear was a mistake. 

Anyway good luck to them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Yes sorry, meant from the front 3. They do look like they would cause problems in the PL already.

I wouldn't mind having a couple of them in our squad.

Benrahma is so good.

Those sorts of 6 yard goals and the ones I wasn't sure Watkins had in him when it became clear he was going through the middle this season. He'll definitely be in the Premier League by the start of 2021 season.

• Like 1

Let's get Ivan Toney. At least we know we could buy him, and he would come, and if he couldn't make the step up he'd be banging them in next season in the Championship.

What he lacks in technical ability, he should be making up for in confidence.

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Come on mate you know it’s a dig. If they have to sign 12 players for 120 odd million I doubt everyone of them would be a hit.  Nakamba and Trez for what has been spent is not amazing but not disaster signings either. Wes does appear was a mistake. 

Maybe I’m in the minority but I really don’t think it’s time yet to be writing off Wesley as a mistake, I think we’ve seen enough flashes of quality to show there is a player in there, and when you take into account his personal and professional journey to date he’s still got ample amounts of development to do.

That said, it’s now in the lap of the gods as to whether or not he comes back from the injury, which is just shit luck all ends up, again.

• Like 2

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

It's so much harder to sign PL players is what I was attempting to say. How would they approach it? 

Could they do better than Guilbert, Hause and McGinn for under £15m? Imagine if they did!

If they try and find a player for £2m he might well be good enough but understandably struggle early in a team that's losing every week. Confidence could go and that's it, the player is ruined, too scared to play.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Let's get Ivan Toney. At least we know we could buy him, and he would come, and if he couldn't make the step up he'd be banging them in next season in the Championship.

What he lacks in technical ability, he should be making up for in confidence.

They're asking huge money for a league 1 player I believe. Something like £7m.

He's a player I'd be going for ahead of Benteke.

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

They do indeed. They also got a European class striker in Son fit. 

So there is no issue there then? Do you think going into the rest of the season with only one fit striker is OK? For a team like Spurs? Whereas us only having one striker (Wesley) is apparently a cock-up of monumental proportions?

My point was, we are not the only team with squad/first team issues. Not all of then will be resolved until the end of the window (if at all) - that doesnt mean they  (scouts etc) are shit.

I'm sure the Villa recruitment team are doing everything possible. They are not stupid, or incompetent.

Edited by TheStagMan

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Maybe I’m in the minority but I really don’t think it’s time yet to be writing off Wesley as a mistake, I think we’ve seen enough flashes of quality to show there is a player in there, and when you take into account his personal and professional journey to date he’s still got ample amounts of development to do.

That said, it’s now in the lap of the gods as to whether or not he comes back from the injury, which is just shit luck all ends up, again.

Wesley needs a striker with him. I think then you'd see his value. We intended to get a striker to play with him. I'm convinced of that. When that didnt materialise, Wesley had to do the job himself and that's not his game. He's a fulcrum, not a target man or poacher.

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It's been a disaster having him as the main striker. That's the reason we're probably going down, how we're still in the mix I don't know.

Not his fault he's had no backup, not his fault he cost so much, not his fault he's just not good enough. He probably will improve but he was starting from such a low low level.

Obviously it's so incredibly Villa that in his best game by a mile in a new system they would have helped him he got wiped out for the season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

Wesley needs a striker with him. I think then you'd see his value. We intended to get a striker to play with him. I'm convinced of that. When that didnt materialise, Wesley had to do the job himself and that's not his game. He's a fulcrum, not a target man or poacher.

Well he played the target man role well in games against Burnley, Everton and Norwich, I’m sure there are one or two others too, and all his goals have been from pretty close range so not sure he can be written off against fitting a ‘poacher’ tag too.

I think he’s just taken time to adapt, and it’s just mental bad luck that when he finally looked the real deal against Burnley he got injured badly. He’s a young lad, who’s had a mental upbringing and route into professional football, in the space of a year or two he’s been catapulted from obscurity into playing in the PL and for Brazil......we all had high hopes, as we do for most signings, but I think perhaps, taking all into account our expectations ran a little wild on Wesley, I include myself in that.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

They're asking huge money for a league 1 player I believe. Something like £7m.

He's a player I'd be going for ahead of Benteke.

Completely agree. And given we might have to purchase Benteke (as opposed to loaning him) Toney might well be cheaper, and he's very much on the way up.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

So there is no issue there then? Do you think going into the rest of the season with only one fit striker is OK? For a team like Spurs? Whereas us only having one striker (Wesley) is apparently a cock-up of monumental proportions?

My point was, we are not the only team with squad/first team issues. Not all of then will be resolved until the end of the window (if at all) - that doesnt mean they  (scouts etc) are shit.

I'm sure the Villa recruitment team are doing everything possible. They are not stupid, or incompetent.

Not sure what you're on about. I doubt spurs find it acceptable, but even if they got a class striker fit and we don't, I fully expect them to sign a striker before we do. 

You are creating bullshit here I've never once said. 

Spurs didn't start there season with one quality striker, they had two. You can argue we had zero, but I'll be nice and say one. Our respective situations aren't remotely comparable, and they aren't starting matches without a striker, yet they will still be more proactive than us. That's my bet. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’d say mistake in the sense of for 22M and our main striker we really needed someone to hit the ground running. That’s no fault of Wesleys of course. 

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Not sure what you're on about. I doubt spurs find it acceptable, but even if they got a class striker fit and we don't, I fully expect them to sign a striker before we do. 

You are creating bullshit here I've never once said. 

Spurs didn't start there season with one quality striker, they had two. You can argue we had zero, but I'll be nice and say one. Our respective situations aren't remotely comparable, and they aren't starting matches without a striker, yet they will still be more proactive than us. That's my bet. 

To be fair Spurs and I guess no other team in the league started the summer with only 2 players good enough to start games in the whole squad.  If we only had a few gaps to fill and started the season with only Wesley it would be unforgivable. But considering we had a whole team to build surely we can be a little bit more understanding?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To be fair Spurs and I guess no other team in the league started the summer with only 2 players good enough to start games in the whole squad.  If we only had a few gaps to fill and started the season with only Wesley it would be unforgivable. But considering we had a whole team to build surely we can be a little bit more understanding?

The thing that's unforgiving is having one senior first team striker with no PL experience. We pinned our hopes to one man with no idea how he'd handle the league and we can safely say he hasn't been a success. Now it's clear he wasn't good enough and his injury has left us in it. 

It's obvious to anyone we should have been more proactive in getting another striker in this window. Starting PL matches without a dedicated striker is unforgivable. Thus I think it's fair to ask questions about our scouting and recruitment team.