January Transfers 2019/20

sne

7 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Well as it stands he's the only one banging in goals lol, yes at a lower standard but he is banging them in.

Dave I don't want to get too technical, but when players score goals in games with much space i.e Scotland /under 23's etc.....its different.

When a striker scores goals in a level of football where space is a premium, you probably have a player.

It was interesting listening to Mourinho talking about strikers.....He said most of them need service, the very best do not rely on service to the same degree.

Thats why Dwight Yorke was a fabulous player.......player not necessarily person.

14 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Well as it stands he's the only one banging in goals lol, yes at a lower standard but he is banging them in.

but that is the crucial bit.

Just now, Dave-R said:

get them both in and give them a run Barry as no2, Vasilev no1, who knows unless we try them both we won't find out.

We either fork out a good price for a striker who hits the ground running or it will be a couple of the following: Benteke, Murray, Assombalonga, Rodriguez, no matter which one they all will take there time to adapt I think.

I hope and think we will sign a good striker. Vasilev can develop from the bench, I wouldn’t want to ruin the kid before he gets started. The same with Barry although he’s probably a year behind. As TRO mentioned in an earlier post, the physicality these days makes it harder than ever for young lads to make the step up. Even if you look at how Jack has come on physically over the last few years. 

Yes there’s possibly a limited role for Vasilev this season, but I don’t think we can expect a huge impact. Good prospects though. 

13 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I am pretty disappointed as to why we still haven't gotten a striker on board. Just poor scouting, poor planning and poor execution. 

I think its easy to draw that conclusion.....but we are not privvy to all that goes on.

They might be working their nuts off, an when One don't come off it can be deflating for them.

We simply, don't know enough, to form an accurate comment.

another mans pain, is easily brushed off.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

How is it any of those? Transfers aren't like clicking fingers there's a lot to do

Just my take on it. We're a professional football club that I assume have people working in every aspect of the game. We've known we needed a striker since August, so I would have thought we had made our due diligence and had deals set for January. We clearly didn't, or if we did we clearly didn't have a back up plan. 

Now our only "senior" striker is injured and we're starting matches without a striker, so I'd say we've done an awful job. Considering it may affect our survival in this league and it was important to get a new striker in early to settle as quickly as possible, I for one can't say I am impressed by how the club still by mid transfer window still haven't signed a striker. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Just my take on it. We're a professional football club that I assume have people working in every aspect of the game. We've known we needed a striker since August, so I would have thought we had made our due diligence and had deals set for January. We clearly didn't, or if we did we clearly didn't have a back up plan. 

Now our only "senior" striker is injured and we're starting matches without a striker, so I'd say we've done an awful job. Considering it may affect our survival in this league and it was important to get a new striker in early to settle as quickly as possible, I for one can't say I am impressed by how the club still by mid transfer window still haven't signed a striker. 

I am as frustrated as you.....but events have rendered us desperate, they all know that and we have to be careful of not being shafted.

I think it is unlikely a prolific goal scorer is going to be released in January....its tricky at best, we will have to take a gamble, by the looks of things.

I think we have better people in place now and if they are finding it difficult, I would say its difficult.

• Like 1

Kemar Roofe has 6 in 13 for Anderlecht this season so I'd imagine that's a better ratio than Wesley was getting last season.

Not the worst link imo (I assume Anderlecht wouldn't fleece us considering they only signed him for 7m six months ago). We saw at Leeds he can score and also move around the forward line and interchange with their midfielders and wide players. 14 goals for Leeds up to early January last season but then he stopped scoring, only scored one more in the first leg of play offs at Derby (missed the second leg injured).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I agree. Ultimately though it will come down to where we finish at the end of the season. If we go down it will be the striker situation that will have cost us and that’s where the club has blundered.  If we stay up then I guess they knew what they were doing...

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

20 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I agree. But as long as we can sort the situation before the window closes I think we’ll be ok. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Agree 100% . I love the way Liverpool are being run currently. Minamino was done during Christmas week. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

It’s very easy to attract good players when you are European champions and 15 points clear at the top of the league, a little tougher when you are pitching a relegation battle and only a handful of wins in the season.

This is just wrong. We aren't exactly shopping in the same market 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Only 2 loans in the squad at any one time. 

As posted in the Reina thread:

There’s an ‘exception’ to that rule which allows an extra transfer if it’s a goalkeeper. It needs to be agreed by a board of some sort, but this could probably be granted for us, considering our first and second choice keepers are injured.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It’s very easy to attract good players when you are European champions and 15 points clear at the top of the league, a little tougher when you are pitching a relegation battle and only a handful of wins in the season.

All season it has been obvious that Wesley has needed another striker in the squad to push him. We should have pressed for a January 1st signing. He got injured and now we’re totally in the crapper. We’re not competing with Liverpool our business is going to be done in a different market. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

As posted in the Reina thread:

There’s an ‘exception’ to that rule which allows an extra transfer if it’s a goalkeeper. It needs to be agreed by a board of some sort, but this could probably be granted for us, considering our first and second choice keepers are injured.

Is that not just when you're caught short outside of the transfer window like when we got Kiraly?