January Transfers 2019/20

sne

59 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

It's been a disaster having him as the main striker. That's the reason we're probably going down, how we're still in the mix I don't know.

We are not going down. No chance.

We are still averaging a point per game which almost always keeps you up and we will do better second half of the season than first.

But we do need a new striker!

5 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I will judge it then, but I can judge it now as well. Everything I said is true, like it or not. I agree Drinkwater and Reina are solid short term solutions, but they aren't strikers. No I am not impressed how the club has handled this obvious need of a striker this window. We might be well run, but there's clearly something lacking in our club when it comes to finding the right players and getting them in on time. I won't blame Deano for this, cause there's just so much a man can handle alone. But ultimately he will take the fans fury, which is unfortunate. 

15 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Just my take on it. We're a professional football club that I assume have people working in every aspect of the game. We've known we needed a striker since August, so I would have thought we had made our due diligence and had deals set for January. We clearly didn't, or if we did we clearly didn't have a back up plan. 

Now our only "senior" striker is injured and we're starting matches without a striker, so I'd say we've done an awful job. Considering it may affect our survival in this league and it was important to get a new striker in early to settle as quickly as possible, I for one can't say I am impressed by how the club still by mid transfer window still haven't signed a striker. 

The bit highlighted in your original post - you have no way of knowing if that is true or not. It's just speculation.

It's quite possible we had several deals (including backup deals) lined up, but the selling / loaning club is delaying it for whatever reason.

Our business in the summer 2019 window was probably the quickest of any club in the league. We signed 4 players in June, and 6 players in July. Doesn't seem to me like we have a problem getting deals over the line.

As I said, we'll find out in a couple of weeks whether this has been a good window. It's painful to wait, I know, and I wish we would just announce someone ASAP, but I can see why the club might not be in a position to do that.

One of the reasons we're still in the mix because the player you have labelled a disaster contributed to us scoring 2 goals and gaining 3 points against a relegation rival in our last league match.

EDIT: In a system which not only helped him, but the whole team around him.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

We are not going down. No chance.

Incredible belief. Hope the team is as confident as you!

It's looking around to find who else can go. There's no real dross this year.

15 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The thing that's unforgiving is having one senior first team striker with no PL experience. We pinned our hopes to one man with no idea how he'd handle the league and we can safely say he hasn't been a success. Now it's clear he wasn't good enough and his injury has left us in it. 

It's obvious to anyone we should have been more proactive in getting another striker in this window. Starting PL matches without a dedicated striker is unforgivable. Thus I think it's fair to ask questions about our scouting and recruitment team. 

Agree with your first point - it was a mistake not to sign another striker in the summer. Already explained why I disagree with your second point, but I appreciate where the frustration comes from. We do urgently need a striker.

Can those that think we did something “ unforgivable” just be left to never forgive whoever it is they will never forgive, then belt up about how unforgivable whatever it was, was,  and those of us who do forgive whoever it is be left alone to forgive them and belt up about those who won’t forgive them.

Then, with all the forgiving and unforgiving out the way, we can debate transfers !

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

One of the reasons we're still in the mix because the player you have labelled a disaster contributed to us scoring 2 goals and gaining 3 points against a relegation rival in our last league match.

EDIT: In a system which not only helped him, but the whole team around him.

Wow, that's a generous thought. He helped us in 3 games and now all of a sudden he's a reason we are still in the mix. 

What about the numerous games he contributed nothing? Those games have meant we are closer to relegation than we could have been had we not relied on Wesley as our main striker. 

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Wow, that's a generous thought. He helped us in 3 games and now all of a sudden he's a reason we are still in the mix. 

What about the numerous games he contributed nothing? Those games have meant we are closer to relegation than we could have been had we not relied on Wesley as our main striker. 

You're right, just minus the 9 points he helped us with then.

Then we can do the weekly circular hypothetical argument about why literally ANY half decent striker would have thrived with the way the rest of the team were performing (and system) - and given us more points (Defending starts from the front right etc?)

Ironically alot of these posters are the same ones saying Benteke just needs to be in a system where they "play to his strengths".

The points and contribution are FACTUAL, the rest is hypothetical.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

47 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Incredible belief. Hope the team is as confident as you!

It's looking around to find who else can go. There's no real dross this year.

And yet there are a bunch of teams within a couple of points of us so we can’t be considered dross either. And those teams are mostly established PL sides with no reason to suspect they will improve, whereas most of our players have 15-20 PL games under their belt and can be expected to continue adapting to this level.

• Like 1

just watched Brentford v QPR.....Couldn't see anything to write home about....such OPEN football it was hard to judge, play against a tight team, most would hardly get a kick.

20 mill for Benrama.....not for me.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Can those that think we did something “ unforgivable” just be left to never forgive whoever it is they will never forgive, then belt up about how unforgivable whatever it was, was,  and those of us who do forgive whoever it is be left alone to forgive them and belt up about those who won’t forgive them.

Then, with all the forgiving and unforgiving out the way, we can debate transfers !

Well I’m sorry Terry but that’s unforgivable. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Our man just scored. Brilliantly worked free kick. I think Brentford will come up. 

Not as strong as Leeds or Albion, might make it in the play offs.

The game was too  open for me.....bordering on Naive from QPR

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Arthur Scargill

He never actually went on strike as he was working as a union man throughout the strike and getting paid. So he’d be more of a false number 9. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

He actually never actually went on strike as he was working as a union man throughout the strike. So he’d be more of a false number 9. 

You will tell me Father Xmas is not real next and proper spoil my day.

I guess, If I had of said John Edwards a coal miner........it wouldn't quite have had the same effect.

• Haha 2