January Transfers 2019/20

sne

To be fair our striker situation has looked bleak since the season started and now after injuries looks shambolic.  You can to an extent defend the recruitment team for the summer as pretty much a whole squad had to be bought in so there was always a chance areas didn’t get filled. We can also defend them now as we all know it’s difficult to sign players in January and we’d rather we did it late than did it incorrectly.

BUT if his month ends and we are still seriously light in the striker position for players or quality. Then serious questions about our recruitment surely have to be asked?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Not wierd at all, im calling you out as you have stated that there are a **** ridiculous amount of strikers willing to come.  Which I think is utter bollocks. 

I asked you to back it up, and you cant so...... therefore you need to accept that your claims and opinion will be challenged.

If it were a professional scout saying that our staff were useless because there were all these great strikers practically falling over themselves to come here, I would indeed ask them, but it's not a professional scout saying it, it is you, so I am asking you.

Clearly you cant answer the question to back up your ranting, so I will treat your posts with the contempt they deserve. 

Jog on yourself good sir.

You’re being harsh and intolerant on this Poster. Makes you sound weird.

This is a place for opinions and discussion and is not going to be underpinned by first hand insight into what is going on. For that, I suggest you follow the more informed journalists and the better newspapers out there.

100% of the views here are going be anecdotal and from an outside-in perspective. IT IS A FAN DISCUSSION BOARD, where OPINION is expressed.

I’m also beginning to think VT is a safe place for insecure Happy Clappers to lurk. Anything that is said against their delicate view immediately gets met with hostility.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

This is a place for opinions and discussion and is not going to be underpinned by first hand insight into what is going on. For that, I suggest you follow the more informed journalists and the better newspapers out there.

100% of the views here are going be anecdotal and from an outside-in perspective. IT IS A FAN DISCUSSION BOARD, where OPINION is expressed.

I’m also beginning to think VT is a safe place for insecure Happy Clappers to lurk. Anything that is said against their delicate view immediately gets met with hostility.

Harsh and wierd, oh my word.

Poster suggested there were umpteen great strikers available. I dont believe there are so I asked for a few examples so that I could be educated.

The response from the poster was to tell me to jog on. Tells me all I need to know about the level of discussion that can be engaged in.

And then a bunch of veiled insults from you. Irony eh?

So to clarify for you. I am not insecure or a happy clapper thanks very much. What I am is sick of idiots criticising our own club because when they stamp their feet and demand a striker now one doesn't arrive because it is actually not as simple as clicking "buy" on FIFA 19 when one is talking about the real world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Show me a single PL club who is playing without a GK, CB, CM or striker and are not getting in a replacement early. I can't think of one, so please tell me. 

Spurs? Seem to have a striker issue. Don't seem to have signed a replacement yet.

Also, we aren't playing without a goalkeeper. We have 2 fit goalkeepers. Whether you think they are not good enough is a different discussion. We are NOT playing without a goalkeeper. And in any case, we seem to be on the verge of signing Pepe.

We are also NOT playing without a central mid. We have several, again, whether they are good enough is another question, and in any case we have signed one, quite early.

Drop the hyperbole please.

Would I like a new striker to have come in by now? Of course I would, but I am intelligent enough to realise it is not that simple and the fact that we haven't does not immediately scream to me that our scouting and recruitment team is incompetent or just not trying.

Edited by TheStagMan
Spelling, in case the grammar police get upset
  • Like 3

My biggest concern about these debates are they feel like deja vu. We literally have the same arguments about a particular position and the clubs lack of signings every window and two often the window closes and we’re still light. Hopefully come February 1st we are all happy. 

Valid points ^

This thread is getting a bit spikey?

We have some of the best management we have had in a long time, possibly ever. Purslow is not Levy but he is very savvy and is working in the clubs best interest. Historically we have been guilty of over paying, over incentivising our signings and have generally been paying big wages for our standing in hope and necessity rather than to suit the business case. The club set out their intention on transfers, they stuck to it and none were instant signings that had some risk, our injury situation may compromise our policy but it won’t be allowed to go too far adrift and transfers in a short window where no one wants to sell and agents/clubs pump the price is difficult.

I am confident however that the decisions will be sensible but it may take a few weeks to resolve. We are of course all very impatient these days

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Harsh and wierd, oh my word.

Poster suggested there were umpteen great strikers available. I dont believe there are so I asked for a few examples so that I could be educated.

The response from the poster was to tell me to jog on. Tells me all I need to know about the level of discussion that can be engaged in.

And then a bunch of veiled insults from you. Irony eh?

So to clarify for you. I am not insecure or a happy clapper thanks very much. What I am is sick of idiots criticising our own club because when they stamp their feet and demand a striker now one doesn't arrive because it is actually not as simple as clicking "buy" on FIFA 19 when one is talking about the real world.

I think the club are as frustrated as us.

so many factors are at play to negotiate a transfer.

I am not getting involved, because i Don't know enough about what goes on.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

My biggest concern about these debates are they feel like deja vu. We literally have the same arguments about a particular position and the clubs lack of signings every window and two often the window closes and we’re still light. Hopefully come February 1st we are all happy. 

The only thing i find puzzling is....why do they need a months window, surely a week or 2 would suffice......the majority of the businees is done at the end of the month.

its like in the old days in pubs ,where many drinkers went for the last hour.

37 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Some serious shades of gammonflake in this post.

Outraged at having views questioned - check

Upset at people trying to be positive - check 

Accusing others of being overly sensitive and not seeing the hypocrisy in that - check 

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Some serious shades of gammonflake in this post.

Outraged at having views questioned - check

Upset at people trying to be positive - check 

Accusing others of being overly sensitive and not seeing the hypocrisy in that - check 

That's not really what gammonflake is supposed to mean.

Could this be an increase of upto 2 million from the first offer, I hope it is because it would show were willing to try and bring him to VP:

January could be a real revolution for Milan, and Aston Villa which sent an offer of around £26-27million (€31m) for Piatek, however the Midlands club are yet to convince the player to accept the move.

https://sempremilan.com/sm-three-close-to-milan-exit-aston-villa-place-e31m-bid-liverpool-defender-a-possible-option

13 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree. Ultimately though it will come down to where we finish at the end of the season. If we go down it will be the striker situation that will have cost us and that’s where the club has blundered.  If we stay up then I guess they knew what they were doing...

Nevertheless we have failed to score in very few games, despite our issues up front.

by deduction, i would suggest its the defensive side of our game thats in question, generally.....and that is not just the back line its midfield too.

At Leicester, we showed ( bar an error) that we can be resolute defensively if we set up to be.

I don't expect us to play like that all the time.....but its nice to know, we are capable if necessary.

I think playing 4-3-3 in every game regardless, is what will have a big bearing in us struggling to stay up......thankfully at Leicester, we showed a capability to vary that to 3-4-3 and it helped.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Nevertheless we have failed to score in very few games, despite our issues up front.

by deduction, i would suggest its the defensive side of our game thats in question, generally.....and that is not just the back line its midfield too.

At Leicester, we showed ( bar an error) that we can be resolute defensively if we set up to be.

I don't expect us to play like that all the time.....but its nice to know, we are capable if necessary.

I think playing 4-3-3 in every game regardless, is what will have a big bearing in us struggling to stay up......thankfully at Leicester, we showed a capability to vary that to 3-4-3 and it helped.

You’re right. I think Smith was a bit stubborn in trying to keep his team playing a certain way and not accepting their limitations.

Maybe the players just aren’t as good as he thinks they are or they show a lot more in training? 

We all spoke about how we didn’t want another manager that resorted to a defensive negative approach like Lambert did to keep us up. I think now we need to accept until we have better players, there is no alternative.

• Like 2