Cameron Archer

Zatman

It's not so bad for Archer, or for any other young player coming through at Villa - here is a chance for him to play most games in a season of the prem - he's now a premier league striker and that's thanks to him and of course down to Villa. I'd say that makes our academy a very good prospect for any young talent.

Going to be a tough job making a huge impact with this SU side this season but I'd love to see him do it. Much like the Ramsey deal it seems like a good one for all involved, all the best to him and hopefully he'll only end up playing his way back to Villa.

25 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Yeah this is the model the clubs that already have a larger revenue model than us imploy, and it's a great supplementary income. I get that people might not like seeing youth players sold, fans always seem to have an affinity with the players who've come through our ranks, but lets be realistic. How many of these players that we're selling would realistically be of the quality to play regularly for a top 6 team, which is where we are intending to be? Sure Archer and Philogene would have been on the bench and played a fair few games depending on how we get on in europe, but not enough to develop in to reliable week in top level Premier League players. These deals are best for both parties. Realistically what are the odds Philogene, Archer and Ramsey all develop in to the level of player we'd need? I mean one might at a push, but the odds of all htree doing it is very low. This means we have more wiggle room to sign aonther first team ready player, and if any do reach the level we want we can always re sign them.

100%

And by selling all 3 (with buy backs) we've generated close to £40m - or the Diaby signing. 

And if turning Aaron Ramsey into Jacob Ramsey at Burnley costs us £10m extra (for example) - that's still a bargain!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, duke313 said:

£40m for 4 academy players is decent business, hopefully gives us some wiggle room under FFP.

It’s made our net spend this summer nicely low… around £45m for Diaby (£34.6m), Pau (£33m), Tielemans and Zaniolo (£19m if made permanent). Very reasonable!! 

57 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Some discussion about him coming back to us if Sheffield United are relegated, but unclear if that’s accurate.

Wouldn't make sense tbh. Clearly Sheffield buying because they can keep him if relegated and help their promotion push. Might be his buy back clause is set at £18m if relegated or £30m if not potentially. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

I’d loved to have seen Cam lead the line for us but you can’t fault the business we’re doing here. Decent fee for Cam, Ramsey and Chuck in the last 12 months. 

This is why a good and functional academy is worth so much to a club. These guys are pure profit and if they take off in the next few years we can sign CA and AR back. 

Exactly it’s a fantastic business model

• Like 1

Seems a good move all round, the deficiencies in Archers game (largely driven by a lack of experience admittedly) make it difficult for him to be an adequate replacement for Watkins, Duran seems to have the higher potential in this regard though we’ve not seen enough of him either to know for sure.

I’m sure Sheff Utd fans will be having flashbacks to the Brewster signing here mind you.

Edited by bannedfromHandV

56 minutes ago, duke313 said:

£40m for 4 academy players is decent business, hopefully gives us some wiggle room under FFP.

Carney £20m

Archer £18m

Ramsey £14m

JPB £6m

Davis £2m

£60m in space of last 12 or 13 months. 

Throw in Jack fir £100m and we're doing very well. 

Jacob Ramsey worth clearly £60m+ 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Seems a good move all round, the deficiencies in Archers game (largely driven by a lack of experience admittedly) make it difficult for him to be an adequate replacement for Watkins, Duran seems to have the higher potential in this regard though we’ve not seen enough of him either to know for sure.

I’m sure Sheff Utd fans will be having flashbacks to the Brewster signing here mind you.

Yeah exactly what came to mind for me. Similar size/stature and play style. Had a good record in the championship. He will do very well to score goals in that Sheff Utd team but I hope he does.

Some think it’s sad that these players don’t have a gateway to the first team but the truth of the matter is would these players earn moves to premier league clubs if it wasn’t for our excellent youth development system? We are helping so many players forge a decent career in football.

• Like 1

From what I’ve seen of Archer he is a goal poacher and doesn’t press the opposition so currently he does not suit the way Villa play. It’s a good deal with buy back option but he won’t ever fit into Emery’s style of play.

Think these sales are a lot to do with FFP rules making room for further purchases.

KkH £5m, Tim Iroegbunam £12m etc.. we'll keep selling some players per window.

The buy back is good because next summer we can decide on Archer and Ramsey and let Zaniolo go and sell Bailey if we so choose. 

If Bailey has a good season we can book decent profit on him. I think we'll see squad turnover banking profit next season 

Seems rather silly of us selling our second best striker when we could have an extra 15+ games this season compared to last. 

if Ollie gets injured then we will be struggling big time or having to spend three times Archer’ fee to get something decent in.

I believe we will regret letting him go big time. 

Â